Haste spell - what to do

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Haste spell - what to do

Postby Big Ulf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 am

Ok me again.
Haste is a pretty powerful 3rd level spell, and in becmi terms I've looked around the net for how it was handled.

No system shock in becmi, nor aging. How do you lot use it?
Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Re: Haste spell - what to do

Postby Dartamian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 am

Check out the Dungeon Master's Companion book on page 25, it has a short section on Haste (and speed in general), final paragraph quoted below.

"Speed can be an extremely valuable tool for characters in combat. If the bonuses gained by speed make the challenges in your campaign too easily overcome, you should add any controls as needed to keep the game balanced and entertaining."

Also, don't forget that the foes of the PCs can always use the same tricks.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Big Ulf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Ha, awesome thanks.

It hasn't been a problem yet but curious to know examples of what some other DMs do if it becomes one.
Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 pm

as a spellcaster
it's not uncommon for me to caste Haste upon my Fighter types to boost their combat effectiveness
and as a result, keep the bad guys off me while I blow up the enemy force

as a DM
I see my party's caster doing this and for the most part, things have stayed in balance
considering by the Time the Party's Wizard is able to learn and Cast "Haste", <min Caster Level 5>
the party is no longer dealing with Goblins and 1-HD Brigands

they are facing organized opposition who often has Caster's of their own <plus my players know full well that any trick they use on me
will be turned back upon them using dice that are hot as Lava for throwing Nat 20's>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Irondrake » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Big Ulf wrote:Ok me again.
Haste is a pretty powerful 3rd level spell, and in becmi terms I've looked around the net for how it was handled.

I would keep a close eye on how often the haste spell is used by the players. If it is a lot, then think about adding in a side effect of the repeated use of the spell on a character. Maybe after every fifth or tenth use of the haste on a character the would suffer 1d10 years of aging , or maybe a temporary 1d3 points of Constitution loss that lasts for weeks due to the strain on the body, or some form of system shock. Basically, if the party is using the spell consistently, and it is causing havoc on the game balance, put in a house rule that may deter them from using it as often.
Irondrake
Bugbear

Postby ghendar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Big Ulf wrote:Ok me again.

If you're interested on some discussion from Frank Mentzer about Haste in BECMI, then check out the link below
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... ilit=haste
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Return to Classic D&D