[D&D Cartoon] Venger

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[D&D Cartoon] Venger

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 pm

What type of creature was Venger from the D&D Cartoon?

I came across a blog that says that booklet included in the DVD collection has him statted out as a Half-Fiend Human Sorcerer 13 / Archmage 5 (CR 21).

How would you stat him in Classic D&D?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [D&D Cartoon] Venger

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:44 pm

According to this wiki, Venger was Dungeon Master's son (revealed in an unproduced episode). He was originally human, but was corrupted by the evil of the Nameless One. He has a sister named Kareena, who also seems to be human.

In BECMI, I'd probably just make him a 36th level human magic-user (I don't think his horn would change his stats, and magic-user spells+magic items would adequately represent his powers). He's currently on a path of Immortality in the Sphere of Entropy; part of his quest requires him to capture the artifacts wielded by the heroes of the story. Though he's associated with Arachne Prime and maybe the Dragon Ruler Pearl, his patron is probably Thanatos, despite its fiery appearance (I suppose you could also use Zugzul).

In a Greyhawk campaign, I'd equate Dungeon Master with Zagyg and the Nameless One with Tharizdun.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 am

I want to say that there is a strong implication that Venger is Dungeon Master's son in the aired episodes at one point or another as well, but it has been so long since I watched any of them I couldn't say for sure. (Possibly in the episode "the Dragon's Graveyard" or "Dungeon at the Heart of Dawn"?)

That said, I'd probably make him as some sort of Cambion.

ETA: Found "Dragon's Graveyard" online, and that's the one. At the end, Dungeon Master goes to a defeated Venger and implores him to "Rise, my son."
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby LimeOdyssey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 am

Venger's immortal sponsor would be the Nameless Evil from the episode where that is outright stated. Venger was his "servant" who turned him evil.
LimeOdyssey
Hobgoblin

Postby timemrick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 pm

I own the DVD set, but have many issues with the (v.3.5) stat blocks presented there. (For starters, the kids are statted out at 7th level, with appropriate equipment for their level as if they were standard PCs. This nerfs their weapons while giving them a lot of noncanonical gear.)

For Venger, I'll second the cambion suggestion. That's probably the best fit for what was available in AD&D (1E) at the time.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Yes- I think making Venger a 20th level anything is overpowered; it makes him seem like a complete incompetent boob for being defeated by the kids so often (I mean, he is pretty incompetent, but his mechanics shouldn't be so far out of whack). I'd stat him maybe around 10th level. I think 7th level for the kids is probably too high, too.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:36 am

In 1st edition AD&D, I'd definitely make him a cambion. In classic D&D that race doesn't really exist, and I think making him a standard human fits well enough that I wouldn't feel the need to create an equivalent. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

He should probably level up with the PCs.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Classic D&D