Quick History of Classic D&D

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Darva
Hobgoblin

Re: Quick History of Classic D&D

Post by Darva » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 am

I am all for articles discussing using generic items like this in Classic D&D, or in Mystara (Relevant because I found the article over at Vaults of Pandius, and was pointed over here by stanles when I suggested a correction there), and I have done so myself over the years with different stuff.

But, to me, when you present an article titled a "Quick History of Classic D&D", those most likely to make use of it are less experienced (with Classic, at least) players who would become confused when you muddy the water with items that aren't truly Classic D&D.

I know the article doesn't, but lets take the logic of "No 'advanced' tag in the title means classic dnd or at least classic d&d compatible" to the extreme. Anything for 3rd ed? 3.5th ed? 4th ed? 5th ed? Obviously like many would agree, depending on the DM and players experience with the game, any a/d&d product is compatible with any other.

I offered the correction to the article simply to provide the greatest usefulness of the information to the presumed target audience; ie, those players interested in but inexperienced with Classic D&D.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks for the great feedback.

This is all worth thinking about. As with many discussions it boils down to definitions. There is really no clear definition of "Classic D&D". The label itself was used for one of the late era intro sets to the Rules Cyclopedia.

While I agree that the Fast-Play Games are the most problematic on the list, it really doesn't stop there. I have seen other discussions where people criticise the inclusion of Holmes D&D.

Others again want to see a complete separatation of OD&D from BECMI.

Then there are those who feel that BECMI and the RC should be considered different editions.

I have always preferred inclusive lists. That way things aren't forgotten about. Fans are always left to decide what they want to include or not in their own games or to define what their own fandom includes.

Sure, we could say that anything non-AD&D should include 3E,4E and 5E as well. But I think we all agree that while WotC wanted to present 3E and editions onwards as a continuation of both D&D and AD&D, the d20 editions are also in some ways their own thing.

My attempted sollution in the OP was to include the Fast-Play Games, but with several comments attached explaining why they are problematic. From the start, each version also has notes detailing which of the Fast-Play Games is closer to AD&D and which ones are closer to 3E.

I might change this setup in the future, but I think I will think a bit more on it before I make any changes.

Anyway, discussion is always good as it does help us think about these things. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Darva
Hobgoblin

Post by Darva » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Havard wrote: Anyway, discussion is always good as it does help us think about these things. :)
The topic has also inspired me to blog about how I've used those fast plays and intro set adventures (the ones that were not specific to FR or already set in Mystara) in my Classic D&D Mystara campaign. Give it a couple days to percolate in my mind and make it up on my blog page.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Darva wrote:
Havard wrote: Anyway, discussion is always good as it does help us think about these things. :)
The topic has also inspired me to blog about how I've used those fast plays and intro set adventures (the ones that were not specific to FR or already set in Mystara) in my Classic D&D Mystara campaign. Give it a couple days to percolate in my mind and make it up on my blog page.
Fantastic! :)

BTW, you should really add a link to your Blog in your signature here.

PS: Note impending downtime on the forum.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Classic D&D”