DMR2 Creature Catalog Back in Print

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

DMR2 Creature Catalog Back in Print

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 pm

DMR2 Creature Catalog has been added to the list of print products. Thanks to Dartamian for letting me know about it! :)

What do you think of this book?

There were a few differences between DMR2 Creature Catalog and the original AC9 Creature Catalogue. Hugin summarized this here:
Hugin wrote:Actually most of the work has already been done for you. Take a look at the Consolidated Creature Conversion Index on the Vaults of Pandius. A few years ago some of us shared databases and we were able to produce this index. Although AC9 isn't listed properly, you can use "DMR2" as an appropriate substitute since it is simply an update Creature Catalog.

From what I've quickly researched;
Creatures in AC9 that didn't make it to DMR2:

Agarat
Death Leech
Ghoul, Vapor
Huptzeen
Leveller (Bodendruker)
Oard
Phygorax
Possession
Reflector
Sacrol
Stalwart

Creatures in DMR2 that weren't in AC9:

Brownie/Redcap
Choker
Coltpixie
Deep Glaurant
Lizard, Rockhome
Lycanthrope: Werejaguar
Vampire: Nosferatu
Wychlamp
* Source

If you have any other specific questions just ask and we'll see if we can't find the answers.
If you could only keep either AC9 or DMR2, which one would you keep? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: DMR2 Creature Catalog Back in Print

Post by Khedrac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Havard wrote:If you could only keep either AC9 or DMR2, which one would you keep? :)
AC9, but that is primarily because I have had it a fair bit longer so it has more nostalgia for me.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 am

I'd agree with Khedrac; I prefer AC9 myself.

One other thing that DMR2 has that AC9 doesn't is the "newest" monster format introduced in the Cyclopedia by Aaron Allston, which includes Intelligence scores, Type/Subtype listings, Barding and Movement speeds for mounts, and a listing for Terrain types. Some of those weren't necessarily consistent with information provided previously (such as Mentzer's Int scores from the Master DM's Guide, some new terrain types not listed in the Cyclopedia such as "jungle," and not all monsters with spellcasters had that information explicitly called out separately as they did in the Cyclopedia).

I do wish the rewrite of DMR2 had gone a bit further with cleaning up the monster entries as well, but it may not have been feasible.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Havard wrote:If you could only keep either AC9 or DMR2, which one would you keep? :)
AC9, but that is primarily because I have had it a fair bit longer so it has more nostalgia for me.
I have super nostalgia for AC9 myself. I had no idea this book existed before I found it by accident while on holidays in London. I remember being super excited about it. But as Cthulhudrew points out, DMR2 added some additional information and a few additional monsters so having both books is pretty neat.

I think I prefer how DMR2 is organized alphabetically rather than by type as in AC9.

Do we have a list of monsters appearing in the AD&D Mystara MC that did not appear in the previous AC9 and DMR2?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

I love AC9 and have had my copy since it was released. I would still use it today because it has a lot or creatures that players wouldn't expect and have probably never seen before.
Never got the revised version.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Havard wrote:I think I prefer how DMR2 is organized alphabetically rather than by type as in AC9.
I'm conflicted about it, myself. On the one hand, a completely alphabetical volume is certainly easier to navigate, on the other hand, I do kind of like how AC9 groups them alphabetically by type.
Do we have a list of monsters appearing in the AD&D Mystara MC that did not appear in the previous AC9 and DMR2?
Off the top of my head:

Ebon Tiger
Imp (Bog and Swamp)
Elemental (Anemo, Eolian, Erdeen, Pyrophor)
Homunculus (Aryth and Bogan)

There are probably a couple more, but those are the ones that stand out. The Ebon Tiger originally appeared in Rage of the Rakasta, all the others are brand new for the Mystara MC (intended to fill in some gaps in the alignment categories for the corresponding creatures due to the increased number of alignments from D&D to AD&D as near as I can tell).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Classic D&D”