Dwarves and high-level advancement options

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Aniodia
Orc

Dwarves and high-level advancement options

Post by Aniodia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 am

In my game , I've been planning out various character options for high-level demihumans, and Dwarves have me a bit stumped. Elves were easy enough, as their gazetteer had rules for Elf Wizards. Halflings, I've been planning out a Blackflame Warlock class, inspired by an article on Pandius. However, outside of a rough idea of a "Forgemaster", I don't really have specifics as to where to go with this. There is the Pathfinder Cleric archetype of the same name, but the only real neat ability would be adding magical properties on the fly, and I'm just a little hesitant to rip the ability from PF wholesale, as there's a few abilities on that list I'd rather not use (like increased critical range, or item spell resistance). I'm wondering if anyone else has come up with a similar idea and can point me to it, or wouldn't mind helping to flesh out the current idea into something workable.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Dwarves and high-level advancement options

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 am

I don't have my books in front of me, but Adventurer, Conqueror, King (ACKS), an OSR game based on B/X D&D, has some race-specific classes. It embraces the "race as class" of B/X, but rather than simply permitting one archetype of dwarf, it offers a couple different dwarf-only classes. You may want to take a look to see if the ACKS classes will work for you or spark some ideas.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Aniodia
Orc

Post by Aniodia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:16 am

I'm aware of ACKs and Alex Macris, and I'll just leave it at I'm not a fan of the guy or the people he surrounds himself with. I'm sure ACKs is a great system, but it's not my thing. Not only that, but from what I do know of it, there's multiple different race-classes. I'm not on the hunt for a class to start from level 1, but a little something extra for a dwarf who might find out about the Forge of Power and wants to follow in the footsteps of the clan, rather than follow the human way of fighting (i.e. advancing in Attack Ranks).

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm

If you're not using it otherwise, the Dwarf Cleric is a reasonable option. Consider that a high level dwarf is circa as powerful in combat as a high level cleric, so as long as you don't give them too many spells, it will be balanced. The Gazetteer lets them cast spells up to the equivalent of a level 12 cleric. You may also go a bit higher if desired, but not over level 20 (much like the Elf Wizard).

G

Return to “Classic D&D”