BECMI Rules for Medusas

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

warriorneedsfood
Hobgoblin

BECMI Rules for Medusas

Post by warriorneedsfood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 am

In the Keep on the Borderlands, there is a Medusa in the Temple of Evil Chaos. I've had a couple of sessions where the party actually released the Medusa instead of killing it, and in one case, actually had the Medusa join the party briefly as she sought her revenge. It was a BECMI game where that happened, and I made the following XP progression as a result. Let me know what you think, for those of you who still play in Mystara with the old BECMI rules!

Here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: BECMI Rules for Medusas

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Very cool! I love how things can play out in a BECMI campaign.

I like the idea of having low level Medusas only being able to paralyse rather than turn to stone. I still feel like this power is incredibly powerful for a PC. Maybe limiting the number of uses per day would make the class a bit more balanced?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm

I think this is great.
I think it is also neat to see the party allying with a medusa, and the medusa not used by the DM to gut the party at a critical moment.
It would be fun to have a campaign progress with her as a trusted NPC.

Many times in the past in BECMI we picked up quite a few strange party memebers.

Our campaign was to go to the caves recently, but it took a turn to the south and I feel the group will not visit the caves, since when/if they ever turn north again they will be too high level for the caves.

This campoaign did however clear Mystamere and they are using it as a base.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

warriorneedsfood
Hobgoblin

Post by warriorneedsfood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:36 pm
I like the idea of having low level Medusas only being able to paralyse rather than turn to stone. I still feel like this power is incredibly powerful for a PC. Maybe limiting the number of uses per day would make the class a bit more balanced?
Maybe, but I was considering the HUGE amount of XP needed to get to the next level a reasonable offset. Really the rules were more for managing a long-term NPC then for a PC, but I could make some adjustments. Since the HD of a Medusa is still low, there's only so may 'levels' you can use before reaching normal monster status with the rules as they are presented. Medusa are glass cannons, very, very deadly, but it doesn't take much to kill them.

Return to “Classic D&D”