The Piazza

Old D&D Campaign Worlds
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing Magical Scrolls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
Frost Giant

So I tried checking in the RC and couldn't find anything. I haven't checked anywhere else (BECMI, AD&D) but are there any rules for writing magic-user or clerical scrolls? Can any level user do so (i.e. a first level MU writing a few Magic Missile scrolls). The only thing I could think of needing would be special parchment and ink (probably easily purchased in larger towns and cities).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 pm 
Green Dragon

As far as I remeber, only name level characters can create magic items of any kind.
GP

Last edited by agathokles on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
Frost Giant

I just skimmed through the revised AD&D 2nd edition DM's guide and it says as long as you have the spell, you can make the scroll. However, you need to get special quills (from cockatrices, griffon's, etc.), use specially made ink (with magical ingreidents, like crodicle tears, etc.) in order to write it and then roll a percantage to see if it was successful.

To me, for the amount of magical scrolls that seem to float around in an D&D world, that seems like these things are easier to make then written. But that's always been the case for D&D/AD&D - there maybe an abundance of magical items to be found in the world, but if you want to create one, good luck...take more time, money, and energy than you can imagine and even then, you'll probably be unsuccessful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:13 am 
Storm Giant

The RC has rules for creating miscellaneous magic items on page 252.

According to these, a scroll would cost:

1,000gp x spell level (Initial Enchantment Cost) +
100gp x spell level (Single Charge)

With a 20% discount for being non-rechargable.

Therefore a scroll costs (880gp * spell level) to make.

It also needs a unique "special ingredient" that must be quested for rather than bought, and takes a week + a day per 1,000gp cost to make.

The chance of success is:

((Int or Wis + Level) x 2) - (3 x spell level)

If the roll fails, the money, time and special ingredient are all wasted.

Personally, I'd be tempted to skip the "Special Ingredient" for a scroll, or make it something not very special at all and therefore really easy to get hold of.

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 am 
Frost Giant

That sounds a lot better. Maybe a slight modification would be spells level 1-3 can be done easily, without an "special" ingrident, 4-6 needs one but are easier to find (sometimes sold in shops, sometimes not) and 7-9 are rarer and require usually a quest or two to get them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 am 
White Dragon

Per Expert rules, magic items (including penning scrolls) can be done at 9th level. The prices and chances of success are defined by the DM, with a lower bound on the chance of failure (15% IIRC.) Spell research can happen at any level, instead.