[RuneQuest] Published Settings

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[RuneQuest] Published Settings

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:45 pm

RuneQuest Settings, RuneQuest Editions, BRP Settings, Elric & Eternal Champion, Call of Cthulhu, HeroQuest, Glorantha

Glorantha seems to be the most popular setting among RuneQuest players.

How many other settings are available for RuneQuest? What are your experiences with them? Here are the one's I have so far:

Chaosium (RuneQuest 1, RuneQuest 2, "RuneQuest 7")
See also this list of Elric RPGs.

Avalon Hill / Games Workshop (RuneQuest 3)
  • Glorantha
  • Fantasy Earth (Fantasy Europe, Vikings, Land of Ninja)
  • Monster Coliseum (Generic)
  • Griffin Island(generic version of the original Glorantha module by Chaosium)
  • Eldarad: The Lost City (Set in Glorantha?)
  • RuneQuest Cities (Generic)
  • Thieves World
  • Midkemia
  • Menetia (presented in the module Daughters of Darkness)

Mongoose Publishing (MRQ, MRQII, Legend, Legend II)
  • Glorantha (2nd Age) (RuneQuest)
  • Lankhmar (RuneQuest)
  • Hawkmoon (RuneQuest)
  • Elric (RuneQuest)
  • Sláine (RuneQuest)
  • Wraith Recon (RuneQuest)
  • Merrie England (RuneQuest) -- More on Robin Hood era settings.
  • Vikings (RuneQuest, Legend)
  • Pirates (RuneQuest, Legend)
  • Deus Vult (Legend)
  • Historia Rodentia (Legend)
  • Samurai of Legend (Legend)
  • Land of Ice and Stone (Legend)
  • World of Xoth - in "Cities of Legend - Citadel Beyond the North" Wind (Legend) More on Xoth
  • Cities of Legend - Skarr: City of Orcs (Legend) - Connected to the Cities of Fantasy line.
  • Cities of Legend - Sheoloth: The Sprawling City (Legend) -- Connected to the Cities of Fantasy line.
  • Greymoor. Mythras Classic Fantasy RPG (aka RuneQuest 6)

Cubicle 7 (MRQII)

The Design Mechanism (RuneQuest 6)
  • Mythic Rome
  • Glorantha
  • Mythic Britain
  • Thennla (Korantia, Trask etc)
  • Monster Island
  • Luther Arkwright
  • Vikings(MRQ2)
  • Land of Ninja
  • Land of Samurai / The Price of Honour(MRQ1)
  • Monster Coliseum(MRQ2)
  • The Realm (as described in Book of Quests etc)

D101 Games (OpenQuest)
  • The Empire of Gatan

Other BRP Fantasy Settings
Go here for a complete list of BRP Settings.

Overview of the different editions of RuneQuest can be found here.

-Havard

----
D&D Worlds (all editions),OD&D Settings, Classic D&D Settings, AD&D 1st Ed Settings, Savage Worlds Settings, WEG Settings, RuneQuest Settings, BRP Settings, d20 Modern Settings
Last edited by Havard on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 39 times in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [RuneQuest] Published Settings?

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Updating the Original Post because the upcoming edition of RuneQuest.
Did I miss anything?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 am

Added some more settings published under the Legend brand.

Also, during the AH RQ3 Era, modules like Eldrad, Daughters of Darkness and RuneQuest Cities may have been a separate setting, but I have not found a name for that setting yet?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Added the following to the list of RQ3 settings:

• Questworld
  • Eldarad: The Lost City
  • RuneQuest Cities

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Thieves World added to the list of RuneQuest 3 Settings. Thanks Stephanie McAlea for mentioning that one on FB. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [RuneQuest] Published Settings

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Added to the original post:

Other BRP Fantasy Settings
  • Elric. See Complete list of Elric RPGs here.
  • Hawkmoon
  • Corum
  • Pendragon
  • Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne
  • Prince Valiant
  • Mythic Iceland
  • ElfQuest
  • Blood Tide
  • Drakar och Demonar: Ereb Altor
  • Drakar och Demonar: Chronopia
  • Drakar och Demonar: Trudvang
  • Swords of Cydoria

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Added:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Questworld and Thieves World were published under Chaosium Runequest 2.

Thieves World Companion was for Avalon Hill Runequest 3, so, Thieves World can be listed under both RQ2 and RQ3

Judges Guild published 5 “Gateway” products for Chaosium Runequest 1/Runequest 2. These predate Questworld and are not part of that world. Gateway just means generic, or non-Glorantha, or even Glorantha-lite. So I would say Questworld is an example of a Gateway product, but I wouldn’t equate Gateway with Questworld per se. Funny story: Judges Guild was actually working on their own Gateway Campaign Setting. But the folks over at Chaosium liked it so much that they took it over, placed it in Glorantha after all, and published it as Griffin Mountain. It’s still pretty standalone and Glorantha-lite compared to Sartar or Prax, so it can still be treated as its own campaign. And it has those great brown parchment foldout maps, Judges Guild style!
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks Falconer!

The Questworld and Gateway terms were confusing to me. Probably because I never owned the Questworld product. Good point about Thieves World. I have fixed that. I kept the original Griffin Mountain module as Glorantha as it seems it is generally accepted as a Glorantha product. The revised version, Griffin Island, appears to have been purged of Glorantha references though. This is even more interesting now that I know the background for that module. Speaking of Judges Guild, how many RuneQuest modules did they publish? Is this a complete list? Were all of the JG modules set in Glorantha? I believe some of them were, but I am not sure about all of them.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 pm

The JG RQ products are:

107 Broken Tree Inn (1979)
116 Hellpits of Nightfang (1979)
170 RuneQuest Judges Shield (1980)
220 Legendary Duck Tower (1980)
310 City of Lei Tabor (1980)
380 Duck Pond (1980)

Judges Shield = GM Screen

All are Gateway, so, they don’t officially contribute to Gloranthan canon. However, there are plenty of references to what you might think of as Glorantha-specific lore, eg., broos and ducks and even gods (Orlanth, Humakt…), simply because those things are present in the RQ1/RQ2 rulebook. They just didn’t go out of their way to purge these products of Glorantha elements, for the most part, despite the disclaimers, but neither did they go out of their way to fit them into the complex geography and history of the world. The Jaquays ones (Hellpits and Duck Tower) are the more justly famous of these products.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 am

Falconer wrote:The JG RQ products are:

107 Broken Tree Inn (1979)
116 Hellpits of Nightfang (1979)
170 RuneQuest Judges Shield (1980)
220 Legendary Duck Tower (1980)
310 City of Lei Tabor (1980)
380 Duck Pond (1980)

Judges Shield = GM Screen

All are Gateway, so, they don’t officially contribute to Gloranthan canon. However, there are plenty of references to what you might think of as Glorantha-specific lore, eg., broos and ducks and even gods (Orlanth, Humakt…), simply because those things are present in the RQ1/RQ2 rulebook. They just didn’t go out of their way to purge these products of Glorantha elements, for the most part, despite the disclaimers, but neither did they go out of their way to fit them into the complex geography and history of the world. The Jaquays ones (Hellpits and Duck Tower) are the more justly famous of these products.

Very interesting!

From what I understand, the Gateway products were indeed designed in a way that used Gloranthan Gods, monsters etc, but in a more generic surrounding. I sounds like these JG books are quite heavy on the Glorantha references though, but at the same time I find it interesting that they did that, but at the same time showed little intent on fully integrating them into Glorantha. Do you think that they were written with Glorantha in mind by the authors, or is it just that they used what was available from the core rules, a bit like who Greyhawk stuff keeps showing up in Generic D&D 3E products?

How are these JG modules viewed in the Glorantha fan community? Even if non-canonical, are they getting any love? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:19 pm

It’s akin to using Graz’zt in a generic AD&D product. Or any other of a million of AD&D assumptions—beholders and mind flayers and Tiamat and Bigby spells, etc. They are not “generic fantasy” elements, you’d agree they are “from Greyhawk” even if you don’t use the canonical world. Which is obviously the case for many products and many campaigns.

The main differences in the analogy are that Glorantha always was (and still is) way, way more detailed than Greyhawk, to the point where it’s very possible—perhaps even the norm—to be a fan of Glorantha and not a fan of RuneQuest. Whereas Greyhawk fandom is certainly a subset of AD&D or d20 fandom. RuneQuest also relatively early on and relatively cleanly “went generic,” so, all editions of RQ from 1983 can be played out of the box completely stripped of Glorantha elements (eg., halflings yes, ducks no). So, the early RQ1/RQ2 products that are crypto-Gloranthan really stand out, whereas AD&D and d20 never divorced themselves from their crypto-Greyhawk elements save halfheartedly.

Glorantha fans are a mixed bunch; perhaps most of them are “too serious” for Duck Tower. But even the explicitly Gloranthan material of RQ2 has been retconned in many ways, so, from what I have seen there is a definite divide. Most RQ2 fans like all the RQ2 products just fine, and don’t care for too much Glorantha development beyond what is contained there.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm

In the RQ3 days, Chaosium/Avalon Hill published new versions of three Midkemia Press books: Cities, Carse, and Tulan of the Isles. Midkemia is the setting for Raymond Feist's novels and Feist is listed as an author on Tulan. These books were denoted as "universal supplements" rather than RQ books.

Also, Mongoose Publishing's Citadel Beyond the North Wind is not a Legend adaptation of one of their d20 Cities of Fantasy books but a Legend adaptation of the Xoth.net Publishing d20 swords and sorcery adventure. This adventure is set in the world of Xoth.
Yojimbo
Orc

Postby Havard » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:05 pm

Yojimbo wrote:Also, Mongoose Publishing's Citadel Beyond the North Wind is not a Legend adaptation of one of their d20 Cities of Fantasy books but a Legend adaptation of the Xoth.net Publishing d20 swords and sorcery adventure. This adventure is set in the world of Xoth.

Very interesting! I had never heard about this setting or company before. What can you tell us about the world of Xoth?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Havard wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:Also, Mongoose Publishing's Citadel Beyond the North Wind is not a Legend adaptation of one of their d20 Cities of Fantasy books but a Legend adaptation of the Xoth.net Publishing d20 swords and sorcery adventure. This adventure is set in the world of Xoth.

Very interesting! I had never heard about this setting or company before. What can you tell us about the world of Xoth?

-Havard

Rather than give you my potted summary I'll just provide this link where there is already quite a lot of free information about the author's world of Xoth. The author, Morten Braten, also wrote the well received Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia for Necromancer Games.
Yojimbo
Orc

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:47 am

Yojimbo wrote:Rather than give you my potted summary I'll just provide this link where there is already quite a lot of free information about the author's world of Xoth. The author, Morten Braten, also wrote the well received Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia for Necromancer Games.

Thanks! I saw the name Xoth mentioned in one of the product descriptions, but I did not know that more had been developed for it. Looks quite interesting!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:51 am

Yojimbo wrote:In the RQ3 days, Chaosium/Avalon Hill published new versions of three Midkemia Press books: Cities, Carse, and Tulan of the Isles. Midkemia is the setting for Raymond Feist's novels and Feist is listed as an author on Tulan. These books were denoted as "universal supplements" rather than RQ books.

Interesting! The Midkemia setting does have an curious history of its development before becoming famous in Feist's novels. Do these books include RQ stats, even if generic? Are there other RPG producst from Midkemia?

Midkemia has been added to the list of RQ3 settings just in case :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby The Dark » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:37 am

Havard wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:In the RQ3 days, Chaosium/Avalon Hill published new versions of three Midkemia Press books: Cities, Carse, and Tulan of the Isles. Midkemia is the setting for Raymond Feist's novels and Feist is listed as an author on Tulan. These books were denoted as "universal supplements" rather than RQ books.

Interesting! The Midkemia setting does have an curious history of its development before becoming famous in Feist's novels. Do these books include RQ stats, even if generic? Are there other RPG producst from Midkemia?

Midkemia has been added to the list of RQ3 settings just in case :)

-Havard
I only have Carse. It has very generic stats (for example, "Beauty Gurias has a charisma or appearance of 18...level 9 or 90-105%, and +1 with hits due to his strength").
The Dark
Troll

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Mythic Rome (by Pete Nash) has been added to the list of RuneQuest Settings from The Design Mechanism.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Khedrac » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Looking at the RQ3 list:
Eldarad is actually set in Glorantha. It is not particulary explicit, but when one knows Glorantha it is is clear. (The same applies for Apple Lane for RQ3, it is in Glorantha, but not explicitly - it is actually open to debate as to whether the village weaponmaster follows Humakt or Yanafal Tarnils as you do nto have enough information to work it out.)
Monster Coliseum and RuneQuest Cities aren't really set anywhere as far as I can remember (I have copies so I can check if needed).
I would class Vikings and Land of the Ninja as regions of Fantasy Earth, not worlds in their own right.

You missed Daughters of Darkness (generally regarded as the worst adventure pack ever), although it is technically a Gateway pack it is set in "the Autocracy of Menetia".

Edit: there was a reference earlier to the Gateway products using Glorantha deities etc., this is almost exactly opposite how they actually worked (at least the Avalon Hill ones).
The "unspecified" RQ3 products ('Apple Lane', 'Eldarad: the Lost City') did this. They would just refer to "the War God" and not name him as Humakt (or Yanafal Tarnils).
The Gateway products ('Griffin Island', 'Daughters of Darkness and the Chronicles of Santon') used their own deities (and races and cultures) which actually made them much harder to drop into any campaign world (especially Glorantha).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Khedrac wrote:Looking at the RQ3 list:
Eldarad is actually set in Glorantha. It is not particulary explicit, but when one knows Glorantha it is is clear. (The same applies for Apple Lane for RQ3, it is in Glorantha, but not explicitly - it is actually open to debate as to whether the village weaponmaster follows Humakt or Yanafal Tarnils as you do nto have enough information to work it out.)

Thanks! Most of the reviews I have read specified that this adventure was not located in any specific setting. I will take your word for it though.

I have always accepted that Apple Lane was placed in Glorantha, but I did not know it was not specifically so. I know there was an adventure included in RQ3 called Money Tree that was connected to Apple Lane, but otherwise seemed generic, so I suppose that means all of these are set in Glorantha?

Monster Coliseum and RuneQuest Cities aren't really set anywhere as far as I can remember (I have copies so I can check if needed).

That is what I have been able to figure out so far too which is why I have listed them as separate "settings".

I would class Vikings and Land of the Ninja as regions of Fantasy Earth, not worlds in their own right.

I am leaning towards agreeing with you, but Land of Ninja appears to be set in the future compared to both Vikings and what little is provided about Fantasy Europe(?).

You missed Daughters of Darkness (generally regarded as the worst adventure pack ever), although it is technically a Gateway pack it is set in "the Autocracy of Menetia".

LOL! Thanks for bringing ip this one. So that is yet another setting in the Gateway Multiverse then? :)

Edit: there was a reference earlier to the Gateway products using Glorantha deities etc., this is almost exactly opposite how they actually worked (at least the Avalon Hill ones).
The "unspecified" RQ3 products ('Apple Lane', 'Eldarad: the Lost City') did this. They would just refer to "the War God" and not name him as Humakt (or Yanafal Tarnils).
The Gateway products ('Griffin Island', 'Daughters of Darkness and the Chronicles of Santon') used their own deities (and races and cultures) which actually made them much harder to drop into any campaign world (especially Glorantha).

Ah, I remember talking about this now. Some people said that Gateway products would not be considered Glorantha even if they were using specific Glorantha deities. I guess Eldarad is a victim of purism? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Khedrac » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Khedrac wrote:Eldarad is actually set in Glorantha.

Thanks! Most of the reviews I have read specified that this adventure was not located in any specific setting. I will take your word for it though.

I have always accepted that Apple Lane was placed in Glorantha, but I did not know it was not specifically so. I know there was an adventure included in RQ3 called Money Tree that was connected to Apple Lane, but otherwise seemed generic, so I suppose that means all of these are set in Glorantha?

LOL! Thanks for bringing ip this one. So that is yet another setting in the Gateway Multiverse then? :)

Ah, I remember talking about this now. Some people said that Gateway products would not be considered Glorantha even if they were using specific Glorantha deities. I guess Eldarad is a victim of purism? :)

Umm,

Well, I think Apple Lane has always been thought of as Glorantha because the RQ2 version was Glorantha. What people may have forgotten/missed is that, in 3rd Ed, it and Eldarad (and possible Snake Pipe Hollow, I haven't checked) actually avoid mentioning where they are set. People worship generic gods like "Empire Trade God" (i.e. Etyries in Glorantha) and the maps don't cover the surroundings so they can be put in more locations.

However, Eldarad (at least) does give placing guidelines (City book, page 1):
Eldarad may be placed in any world. Any wilderness with a river flowing through part of it should be adequate. The river may run to the sea in many ways: see maps.
The Empire, designated the Armavair Empire in the text, should be a long sea jounery from the mouth of the river. Other nations mentioned in the text can be as far away as needed in order to place Eldarad in your world with minimum problems; no matter how far they are, people will still make the journey.
In Glorantha the Elf sea might be convenient, allowing Eldarad to be place north west of Peloria with the Nathri as a buffer state east of the Kingdom of War. The Broda could then be a north Peloria Barbarian Kingdom. Shipping from the (Lunar) Empire could travel the rivers through Holay, Tarsh, and through Peloria to the unnamed, but substantial sea, then west to Eldarad.
Placing Eldarad in other worlds is not a problem; Quest world is hardly crowded, and other worlds are similarly sparse on detail. Placing Eldarad in Fantasy Europe would be the simplest task.

Add to this that the first NPC statted out has Create Market and Spell Trading as divine spells; whilst the only stated requirements for Eldarad is Delux RQ, my memory is that those spells are not in Delux RQ, but only in Gods of Glorantha and any Issaries cult write-ups published later (I think River of Cradles has one). My conclusion - Eldarad is in Glorantha, despite being publsihed neutrally. If people rule it out as not canon, then the RQ3 version of Apple Lane has to be removed too (and possibly SPH). RQ2 Apple Lane stays as Glorantha, but if people use that as justification for the RQ3 version then their logic again fails with the Griffin Mountain to Griffin Island conversion.
Eldarad was also "created and designed by Chaosium" despite being published by Avalon Hill - it's as canon for Glorantha as anything else published at the time, even if it has been retrospectively edited out.

The Money Tree (scenario in the Delux rules) is I think completely undefined for location. I think the only real tie to Glorantha is that the tree has copper leaves - and copper is the Earth metal in Glorantha.

To my memory, Gateway products are specifically labelled as such (and the only 2 I recall are Griffin Island and Daughters of Darkness) so I don't class Eldarad etc. as Gateway products (I may be wrong - it's decades since I read them in that much detail, but there is no obvious 'Gateway' label on the copy of Eldarad I have in front of me). It might be that Gateway is originally a 2nd Ed term, in which case it might apply to Questworld too?

RQ3 went through several phases of publication in terms of how/where stuff was set, and I think the early philosophy was to make stuff generic, even if it had been Glorantha for RQ2, hence the lack of clarity.

So, are early RQ3 products Glorantha? - well it looks like the answer is offically "Maybe" :facepalm:

Re: Land of Ninja, good point on the dates, but that never stops people from mixing them in any other campaign world!
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Return to Other Worlds