Boot Hill?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

Boot Hill?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

I may consider buying it at some point. Can I get some ideas on what people thought about it?
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Boot Hill?

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I dont really know it, but I heard the rules had some similarities with Top Secret?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:22 am

I don't really know much about Boot Hill, though I've always been interested. Boot Hill and Gangbusters were the two TSR games that I never played or owned; to one extent or another, I think I've played almost everything else they put out back in the day (D&D, Gamma World, Top Secret, Marvel Superheroes, Star Frontiers, Indiana Jones).

I know there were two different editions of Boot Hill that came out back in the day, and I remember flipping through the second edition (which was a paperback, as opposed to the original boxed set) and seeing stats for such famous NPCs as The Man With No Name, Paladin, etc. I want to say that the rules in that edition were more D&D-like in format, but I'm not really sure. There was also a magical item in the Book of Wondrous Inventions that allowed crossover between Boot Hill, Top Secret, etc. and D&D worlds.

I really should check Boot Hill out myself, now that you mention it.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby BlackBat242 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:57 am

Actually, 1E BH was "digest-sized" like the OD&D booklets, while 2E was a boxed set with 8½ x 11 booklets (rules and a module).

3E BH was a single, thicker, paper-bound 8½ x 11 booklet.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm not that big on the Wild West as a genre, but that said I wouldn't mind seeing the rules someday. My only exposure to it is via an old gaming buddy of mine, who used to be part of a long-running Boot Hill campaign that apparently grew incredibly weird.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Azaghal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:39 am

I`ve been wondering how the firearms rules work with AD&D.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:21 am

Considering that 2E Boot hill was a d% based system, some conversion would be needed... but there is a little blurb in the 1E AD&D DMG that gives minimal conversions to/from AD&D for Booth Hill & Gamma World.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Azaghal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 am

BlackBat242 wrote:Considering that 2E Boot hill was a d% based system, some conversion would be needed... but there is a little blurb in the 1E AD&D DMG that gives minimal conversions to/from AD&D for Booth Hill & Gamma World.

Thanks, I did have some recollection of that. Since I`m doing a Spelljammer game I was looking to convert the firearms.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

As I mentioned in the D20 Modern Forum, I wonder if the Shadow Stalkers mini setting was a nod to Boot Hill? Shadow Stalkers does combine supernatural elements with the world of 1872. I also like some of the new setting elements from Shadow Stalkers such as the evil organization Order of Crimson Dawn and the more benign organization of the Fellowship. Specific Old West elements include the Frontier Marshalls and one specific Marshall named Art Mortimer.

I am a little surprised that the town of Boot Hill is not specifically mentioned, since D20 Modern had so many other call-backs to older TSR/WotC RPGs. One of the adventures is instead set in a town called Fallen Birch, California. Seems like a missed opportunity there.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm

I owned the Boot Hill boxed set at one point but never played it. (It was part of a stack of games a friend gifted me when he entered the military.) I don't recall much about it except for two things:

1. It had a very intriguing table titled something like "The 100 (or so) fastest guns in the West," which listed game stats for famous gunslingers as well as real-world data such as dates of birth and death, confirmed # of kills, states/territories they were active in, etc.

2. It provided a rough map of the Gunfight at the OK Corral, with enough historical context that you could use the stats in the afore-mentioned table to recreate the battle. IIRC, it was intended to give players some practice with the combat system before risking their own unblooded creations.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My new Pathfinder game (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 am

Havard wrote:As I mentioned in the D20 Modern Forum, I wonder if the Shadow Stalkers mini setting was a nod to Boot Hill? Shadow Stalkers does combine supernatural elements with the world of 1872.

I'd say it probably wasn't a nod to Boot Hill for that reason alone. There really weren't any supernatural aspects to the original Boot Hill game (nor its revised edition). It was a pretty straightforward Western all through. The closest it got to supernatural elements, as I recall, might be a couple of the characters they statted up. The Lone Ranger (in some versions) was actually resurrected from being dead by Tonto; and Clint Eastwood's character in High Plains Drifter is implied to be some kind of ghost or revenant (though I don't remember if that character was ever statted up; they may have only statted up his Man With No Name character).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Other Worlds