[Blade Runner] RPG set in the Blade Runner Universe?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Blade Runner] RPG set in the Blade Runner Universe?

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Talking about the Blade Runner 2049 movie made me think about the world it describes and what opportunities there are for an RPG in this setting.

We already know that many different stories can be told in the same universe as the Blade Runner movies. The following stories already take place there:

• Blade Runner (The original movie)
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Blade Runner the computer game (1997)
  • Soldier (1998 movie with Kurt Russel is set on another planet in the Blade Runner universe)

Apparently there are also short films, comics and novels set in this universe too.

What system would you use for an RPG set in the Blade Runner universe? What sort of special rules would you have? Would you allow the players to play Replicants? Do you prefer stories set on Earth, or would it be more interesting to start out on a different planet and maybe end up on earth through the course of the campaign, sort of like how the Nexus models travelled before the events of the original film?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Blade Runner] RPG set in the Blade Runner Universe?

Postby agathokles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I think the Blade Runner universe is not detailed enough to support long campaigns without losing contact with the original source (which is not bad per se, but then we'd be talking of RPGs set in a transition genre between hard sci-fi and cyberpunk). It would work better with single adventures following similar lines to the movie (e.g., like the computer game).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 pm

agathokles wrote:I think the Blade Runner universe is not detailed enough to support long campaigns without losing contact with the original source (which is not bad per se, but then we'd be talking of RPGs set in a transition genre between hard sci-fi and cyberpunk). It would work better with single adventures following similar lines to the movie (e.g., like the computer game).

That's a good point.
I could see two types of game setups that could help counter that a little.

1) The PCs are Blade Runners. Honestly, I think this could be fun for a few sessions, but I think it would become rather boring after a while. So maybe this model would also be better suited for a one shot.

2) The PCs are Replicants. This could start out with the PCs being Blade Runners too, but I think it would be more interesting to have them start out on an off world colony and make it to Earth later in the campaign. Eventually they could get involved with the revolutionary groups,especially if closer to 2049. Players would probably enjoy having higher stats that come with being a Replicant. Most likely they would have a limited lifespan, but that might not come up in the campaign unless you wanted to. One thing that could be interesting to play with would be some kind of sanity system simulating the mental instability of many Replicants. Maybe it would be similar to CoC, except that Replicants are prone to loose sanity over emotional episodes rather than fear.

At least going with one of these two models mentioned above, you bring along some core elements from the movies even if the game is removed from future LA and other things from the movies.

I dont know if any of the animated short films or comics expand on the setting much?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm

There is actually an Unofficial Blade Runner Roleplaying Game out there. Maybe you could get hold of a copy and see how they did it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 pm

D20 Modern with the Cyber and Future books would do a fine.
Blade Runners could be Gunslinger Advanced class with futuristic gear and aircar.

Players could be Replicants trying to survive and flee from NPC Blade Runners and authorities.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 am

Havard wrote: What system would you use for an RPG set in the Blade Runner universe?

I will try it with Stellar Adventures ruleset (fundamentally a 2d6 ruleset), but I have too much on my plate at the moment, so that will take its time.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby grodog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Fold/spindle/mutilate the Blade Runner world history and then mash it up with the (relatively tenuous) connections to the Aliens universe---that does expand the RPG possibilities a bit: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/alie ... e-universe

Allan.
grodog
Orc

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am

agathokles wrote:I think the Blade Runner universe is not detailed enough to support long campaigns without losing contact with the original source (which is not bad per se, but then we'd be talking of RPGs set in a transition genre between hard sci-fi and cyberpunk).
The Corporation RPG does this. Considering how prevalent Wetland-Yutani is in Alien and Tyrell Corporation are and how incorporated they are into almost every facet of human life, this rpg would do the trick. I mention Alien, because while there will never be any official crossover between the two franchises, there is more than enough evidence to support that the two universes are actually one (source).

Also I haven't fully read Starfinder, but I am sure with enough homebrewing it could be used for a campaign set in the dystopian Blade Runner setting.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Other Worlds