[Href] [Earth] Adventures in Africa

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Href] [Earth] Adventures in Africa

Postby Havard » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 pm

What resources would be best for running a D&D campaign in Africa, possibly crossing over with some of the other HRef series, Masque of the Red Death or Mystara's LaTerre?

D&D / D20 Campaign Settings
  • Nyambe
  • Æsheba: Greek Africa (Fantasy Master)
  • Tanagoro (Mystara/Hollow World)
  • Arica (Mystara, Fan developed)

Magazine Articles
  • Dragon 27; page 39 The Mythos of Africa in Dungeons & Dragons®
  • Dragon 31; page 50 Dragon’s Bestiary: Ukuyatangi The Jungle Hydra (creature)
  • Dragon 122; page 22 Out of Africa
  • Dragon 122; page 27 Gaming the Dark Continent
  • Dragon 159, page 75 Rhythm Warriors: The Battle Dancer
  • Dragon 189, page 11 The Dark Continent: Add African to your campaign world
  • Dragon 189, page 20 Arms and Armor of Africa: A foreign feast for AD&D® game warriors
  • Dragon 195; page 27 Real Warriors Ride Elephants
  • Dragon 200; page 16 Magic from the Gods
  • Dragon 202; page 47 Mythic Races of Africa
  • Dragon 209; page 17 The Priests of Africa
  • Dragon 210; page 78 Primative Weaponry
  • Dragon 215; page 49 Deities of Africa
  • Dragon 228; page 9 Real Jungles

Non-D&D Supplements
  • Secrets of Kenya (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Secrets of Morocco (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Indiana Jones Magic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent (Indiana Jones MasterBook RPG)
  • Dark Continent: Adventure & Exploration in Darkest Africa

Related threads on The Piazza

Thanks to Tarrax Ironwolf at Dragonsfoot.org for the Magazine article references

Also, what eras or products do you think it could be most interesting to cross over with an African campaign? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Href] [Earth] Adventures in Africa

Postby JamesMishler » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:15 pm

There is also Spears of the Dawn by Sine Nomine Publishing. It is an OSR resource for Africa-style RPG, compatible with most old school stuff, but incorporating its own system (that used in the Stars Without Number RPG).

Also, IIRC, one or more of the articles in Dragon #122 were co-written by Charles R. Saunders, the author of the first "Sword & Soul" stories, featuring his character, Imaro. Imaro is essentially an African Conan; Saunders does for Africa with his Nyumbani setting what Robert E. Howard did for Europe with his Hyborian setting.

It is weird that you should post this right now, as I am working on adapting the Africa Uncolonized map, specifically the West Africa region (centered on Asanteman), into a 1E AD&D campaign setting.

Previously, I adapted Nyumbani as Kaa-U, the southern continent in the Thurian Age of Kull, from which many mercenaries of Valusia come from. The Thurian continent and Nyumbani merge quite nicely.
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Seethyr » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Though the information is limited, Katashaka in the realms is said to be an Africa based setting. This is apparently the location of Faerun’s tarrasque according to a page in the Grand History of the Realms.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:21 pm

David Howery's Africa-themed fantasy articles:

"The Dark Continent." Dragon #189.
"The Elephants' Graveyard." Dungeon #15.
"Rogue." Dungeon #34.
"The Land of Men With Tails." Dungeon #56.
"The Leopard Men." Dungeon #22.

There's a relatively short section on African-inspired fantasy in DMG5 Creative Campaigning.

It's probably also worth linking to Havard's thread on Egyptian resources here.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Illuminatus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm

At the risk of turning into “the guy who always touts the old Role Aids books,” there is a good African section in Monsters of Myth and Legend II by Role Aids/Mayfair Games, 1989, ISBN 0-923763-06-6. Although much of it covers African Gods, it includes some entries that could be engineered into player-character races and classes, like the pygmy, mmotia (an African type of fey “little folk”), obeah (voodoo witch), and spear master (kind of a warrior/priest).
Illuminatus
Orc

Postby bayonetbrant » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 pm

What about the Nithians from the BECMI/Mystara Hollow World?

Or are you counting "Egyptian" as distinct from the rest of Africa?
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers
bayonetbrant
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 pm

JamesMishler wrote:Also, IIRC, one or more of the articles in Dragon #122 were co-written by Charles R. Saunders, the author of the first "Sword & Soul" stories, featuring his character, Imaro. Imaro is essentially an African Conan; Saunders does for Africa with his Nyumbani setting what Robert E. Howard did for Europe with his Hyborian setting.

Shesheyan created a topic called Sword & Soul : Imaro and the Ki Khanga RPG last year. I thought there was another one, but I can't find it.

JamesMishler wrote:It is weird that you should post this right now, as I am working on adapting the Africa Uncolonized map, specifically the West Africa region (centered on Asanteman), into a 1E AD&D campaign setting.

Previously, I adapted Nyumbani as Kaa-U, the southern continent in the Thurian Age of Kull, from which many mercenaries of Valusia come from. The Thurian continent and Nyumbani merge quite nicely.

Do you have a topic for either of those adaptations? It would be interesting to see what you are up to. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Illuminatus wrote:At the risk of turning into “the guy who always touts the old Role Aids books,”

"The guy who always touts the old Role Aids books" sounds so cool, that I think you should make it into your forum signature. :lol:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Illuminatus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 am

Big Mac wrote:"The guy who always touts the old Role Aids books" sounds so cool, that I think you should make it into your forum signature. :lol:

Maybe I should...because now that I think about it there's also a Voodoo Witch class presented in "Witches" (Mayfair Games/Role Aids 1990, ISBN 0-923763-24-4).
Illuminatus
Orc

Postby bayonetbrant » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 am

JamesMishler wrote:

^^^^^
James!
one of the answers to the question "who has had a published RPG NPC named after him/her?"

:D
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers
bayonetbrant
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Seethyr wrote:Though the information is limited, Katashaka in the realms is said to be an Africa based setting. This is apparently the location of Faerun’s tarrasque according to a page in the Grand History of the Realms.

There is some interesting information in Grand History of the Realms, but it can be a bit tricky to find sometimes.

Do you remember the pages that mention Katashaka?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby JamesMishler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am

Illuminatus wrote:At the risk of turning into “the guy who always touts the old Role Aids books,” there is a good African section in Monsters of Myth and Legend II by Role Aids/Mayfair Games, 1989, ISBN 0-923763-06-6. Although much of it covers African Gods, it includes some entries that could be engineered into player-character races and classes, like the pygmy, mmotia (an African type of fey “little folk”), obeah (voodoo witch), and spear master (kind of a warrior/priest).

Role Aids are awesome! the MML books were great, as were the treasure books!

Never fear turning into “the guy who always touts the old Role Aids books,” as we all need to be reminded of them from time to time.
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby JamesMishler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 am

Big Mac wrote:Do you have a topic for either of those adaptations? It would be interesting to see what you are up to. :)

Nothing definitive yet.

It will be for Labyrinth Lord, as the guys who want to play this campaign are classic 1E fans.

I am in the process of adapting the demi-human races to something more Africa-oriented; no such races exist in African legendry, so I am adapting and adopting.

Irinrin (dwarves, literally "iron men") were created by Ogun. When Ogun first went to the mortal world to teach humans metalworking, he found that he had more people to teach than he had time, so he created assistants out of iron and iron ore, brought to life through his own blood. They were large men, like himself. Over time, however, they grew prideful, and sought to build their own kingdoms with humans as their servants, so Ogun literally "cut them down in size," to the size of dwarves (though still very stout, still very strong, and now mortal, if very long lived). Iron Dwarves have iron-gray skin ranging from shiny hematite to dull iron to rusty red and all the varieties of naturally-occurring iron. Hair is usually rust red, and usually only a beard. Dwarves reproduce by creating their own son out of iron, then investing their blood (and one or more levels) into bringing him to life. Long ago the Iron Dwarves discovered they could create okutarin ("stone man") sons; the Stone Dwarfs are much better at mining, while Iron Dwarves are masters of smith-craft.

Iwinrin ("ghost people," an analogue of sorts for elves) are the spirits of the dead. In this campaign world, humans have three parts to their non-physical body: the psyche, spirit, and soul. At death, the soul joins with the Ancestors or even the Gods if worthy; if unworthy, the soul is condemned, usually eaten by a foul demon. The psyche usually fades after time; this is the part of the soul necromancers use to animate the dead, or combine with spirits or demons to create a true zombie. The spirit, on the other hand, wanders the mortal world invisibly, usually gravitating over time to the wild lands where only beasts can be found, often the forest or caverns. There it joins the masses of other spirits, usually fading into the land itself, or less often reincarnating... but sometimes more rarely remaining, if it was a "strong" soul, and eventually forming a body of; shimmering, glittering ivory white, with white eyes and hair. These ghost people fill the same niche as elves elsewhere; they sometimes remember their past life, and cares, but often become consumed with hunting an revelry and the care of the wild lands they inhabit. Sometimes they are helpful to their mortal, flesh-and-blood relations, other times inimical. Forest ghost people tend to be friendlier, cavern ghost people more inimical; the ghost people become reflective of the lands they inhabit. Sometimes ghost people go into the inhabited lands for adventure, or to seek out the mortal family and friends they once knew. They can even marry, and have children; these "ghost-born" (half-elves) have white hair and eyes, and are known for being capable of powerful magic.

Oborin ("monkey people," halflings); imagine if halflings were descended from colobus monkeys, still had most of the fur, and had one upon a time tricked Anansi so remarkably that he granted them the wish that they could use their tails like hands (old world monkeys do not have prehensile tails, but Oborin do). Rather than rustic farmers, oborin are paramount gatherers and gleaners of the forest, which they view as their grandmother; in inhabited areas, they make little more than trouble, as monkeys are wont to do (i.e., they are much like Kender, but not nearly THAT bad). They are very superstitious, as they fled their original homeland, the depths of the Kongo, where terrible Old Magic has once again awakened and brought about an inhuman realm.

Gnomes are probably going to be a "humanoid" variant of the Gambian mongoose, or some similar burrowing creature.

Still got a long way to go; I'm still building the alt-history and adding/adapting in the new fantasy elements, such as the pre-human kingdoms, Atlantis, and so forth...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 am

The Southlands Campaign Setting and Bestiary from Kobold Press are largely based on African myths.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby apotheot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I have found Nyambe and its associated products, as well as the Dragon articles on Africa useful in my work on the Living Jungle stuff. Perhaps you might find some use from the LJ as well.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Return to Other Worlds