[Diablo] How does the money work?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Diablo] How does the money work?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Over in my What is The Secret Cow Level? topic, Willpell said that Diablo money didn't work like normal D&D money:
willpell wrote:(As an aside, the coins in Diablo should really be called Copper Pieces rather than Gold, given how many of them it takes to buy even the most basic items. Thirty cents for a Minor Healing Potion makes more sense than $30, if we translate it into our own money, given that even level 1-9 characters have little need for any more MHPs than they invariably drop in the course of play.)
I'm not totally sure on Willpell's references to real-world US money, but I know I wouldn't expect to be able to buy three Minor Healing Potion for $1.00. That seems like an excessively low price for something that essentially can save the life of your player character. It's something that would substitute for days of hospital treatment, so I'm not even sure that $30.00 USD is a price I'd be going for, in real-world terms.

I think I'd like to avoid comparisons with the real-world USA and bring this back to D&D...and Diablo.

Is there anything in the Diablo RPG products that lists prices for items? Are these prices higher or lower than the PHB (or other sources)?

I know that World of Warcraft: The MMORPG has radically different money to D&D. The coin names are the same, but the number of copper pieces in a silver piece is totally different. Does Diablo follow a similar system to WoW?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: [Diablo] How does the money work?

Post by Boneguard » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Apples and Oranges.

Diablo has only 1 currency: Gold so everything is set accordingly and cost huge amount of gold. Sadly I haven't played in a long while so forgot the exact prices, but they were usually much higher the (A)D&D
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Boneguard wrote:Apples and Oranges.

Diablo has only 1 currency: Gold so everything is set accordingly and cost huge amount of gold. Sadly I haven't played in a long while so forgot the exact prices, but they were usually much higher the (A)D&D
Thanks Boneguard.

I found a Gold article on Diablo Wiki, but that doesn't seem to give actual prices.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm

If you're running a Diablo-themed D&D game, just use standard D&D currency and prices.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm

You can't even get a can of coke these days for 30 cents. Heck, it won't even get you an aspirin.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 am

A lot of how you interpret that cost of healing depends on how you see hit points. If you see them as literal wounds, then yes, they are seriously underpriced. However, if you see them as a kind of hero shield, with only the last dozen or so hp representing actual wounds, then they are more akin to energy drinks than medical supplies.

Given that in common with most video-game RPGs, the economy is an inflationary gold-rush model (where for example, different weapons and armour are priced exponentially according to their hp damage inflicted or stopped rather than any serious consideration for time taken to make such things), I'm not sure any serious comparison can be made with real-world economics.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:47 am

And I can't take it any more. ;)

Every time I see this thread title, I hear it sung as "WO, oh what I want to know is, how does the money work"*.

* to the tune of the Grateful Dead's Uncle John's Band (the line "Wo, oh, what I want to know, how does the song go?", and its other variants):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSIajKGHZRk
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Return to “Other Worlds”