[Star*Drive] What was the Star*Drive setting for Alternity/D20 Modern like?

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Star*Drive] What was the Star*Drive setting for Alternity/D20 Modern like?

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Star*Drive first appeared for the Alternity RPG (TSR) and was later restored as a D20 Modern Setting.

What was this setting like? Does the Alternity version differ much from the D20 Modern version?

Did both versions incorporate references and races from Star Frontiers or other earlier TSR games?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Star*Drive] What was the Star*Drive setting for Alternity/D20 Modern like?

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 am

Part of the answer here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11152
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : D&D5E Home-brewing a mini setting
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am

Havard wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 pm
Star*Drive first appeared for the Alternity RPG (TSR) and was later restored as a D20 Modern Setting.

What was this setting like? Does the Alternity version differ much from the D20 Modern version?
There really wasn't a d20 Modern version. It got a couple pages in d20 Future-- less than a Polyhedron mini-setting.

It was good stuff. It's 2501, the stardrive is an early collaboration between humanity and the fraal make them (almost) the only interstellar civilization in the Orion Arm. It's a century after the Second Galactic War and the nations of the Stellar Ring reestablished contact with the Verge in the process of rebuilding-- so now they're trying to regain their colonies, some of which are grateful and others wish to retain their thoroughly earned independence.

It did the Nineties PC faction thing, and it did it hard, with the Stellar Nations being corporate/ideological in nature rather than ethnocultural, and with all of the roleplaying baggage you'd expect from that sort of design.
Havard wrote:
Did both versions incorporate references and races from Star Frontiers or other earlier TSR games?
No, neither version touched on Star Frontiers at all that I saw. Star Frontiers got its own cursory nod in d20 Future.
Viktyr C Gehrig

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 am

Havard wrote:

-Havard
I didn't actually buy into Star*Drive until after the line had been shut down. I found the Star*Drive Campaign Setting book at a local Half Price Books for a good price. It has since become one of those books that keeps getting itself lost around the house, so I have yet to actually give it a solid read-through.

The races from Star Frontiers were given an Alternity writeup in one or another of the Dragon Annual issues, I think....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Lord Kjeran
Goblin

Post by Lord Kjeran » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Actually, I believe it was Dragon Annual #1 that had the Star Frontiers races statted for use in the Verge.

Return to “d20 Modern”