[Genesys] Anyone know about the Realms of Terrinoth Fantasy Setting?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Genesys] Anyone know about the Realms of Terrinoth Fantasy Setting?

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-G ... 633443256/

Anyone know anything about this setting for Fantasy Flight Games' Genesys system?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Genesys] Anyone know about the Realms of Terrinoth Fantasy Setting?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 pm

The setting originates from the Runebound, Descent board games and, Battle Lore and Runewars wargame. Its FFGs default fantasy setting :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runebound

The base game takes place in the realm of Terrinoth, a land covered by various terrains: plains, rivers, forests, hills, swamps, and mountains. There are 8 cities represented on the board, each with its own banner color and heraldry, including the capital city of Tamalir.

In the base scenario, "The Rise of the Dragonlords", the evil necromancer Vorakesh is trying to resurrect the High Lord of the Dragons, Margath, who was killed in the ancient Dragon Wars. In order to do so, he must gather the Dragon Runes with the help of his undead general, Sir Farrow, and their army of followers. The heroes have been charged with stopping Vorakesh's plan by either getting the Dragon Runes first, guarded by powerful dragons, or by defeating Margath himself. Along the way they will have to contend with the armies of Sir Farrow, the followers of Margath, and the monsters of the realm such as the bat-like Razorwings and ghoulish Ferrox.

Terrinoth is a land of forgotten greatness and lost legacies. Once ruled by the Elder Kings who called upon mighty magics to perform great deeds and work marvels, the land has suffered greatly at the hands of its three great foes: the undead armies of Waiqar the Betrayer, the demon-possessed hordes of the bloodthirsty Uthuk Y’llan, and the terrifying dragons of the Molten Heath. Many of its great cities have been cast down into ruins, and many wondrous secrets and powerful artifacts have been lost.

For hundreds of years, Terrinoth slipped into gloom and decay. But heroes arise just when their lands need them the most. Courageous adventurers brave the ruins of past ages and the foul creatures within to uncover the treasures of their ancestors. The Daqan Barons, inheritors of the ancient kingdoms, rebuild their walls and muster their armies, while the wizards of Greyhaven gather runes of power to awaken guardians of stone and steel. These preparations come none too soon, for the ancient enemies of the lawful races are stirring again, and Terrinoth needs champions of courage and cunning to stand against the rising darkness.

I would say its very generic from what I've read in the various games I played.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

I was curious about this one as well. I'm interested to hear what people who have played in the setting have to say about it.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am

Interesting! I did not realize they were tied to Descent/Runebound. I recently bought both of these board games, mostly because the world looked interesting. But I suppose fairly generic yeah.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am
Interesting! I did not realize they were tied to Descent/Runebound. I recently bought both of these board games, mostly because the world looked interesting. But I suppose fairly generic yeah.

-Havard
They also launched a classic miniature war game (glue & paint) last year - Runewars the Miniature Game. FFG now has boardgames, a war game and a RPG based on the same intellectual property. I guess loosing the Warhammer license forced them to concentrate on an asset they already had.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

The Genesys system is decent enough if you like FFG's Star Wars product line, and the Terrinoth rulebook is pretty. I've played a few games of Star Wars and of Genesys and it's a fun system (once you get used to the odd dice) but I'm not sure that it will replace OD&D or 5E for my fantasy fix. I bought the Terrinoth book because the Genesys game I was in was an "urban arcane" style campaign with a mix of fantasy and technology, and I thought that the Terrinoth book would add a lot of fantasy options. Of course, my buying the book seems to have caused the Genesys game to go on hiatus (okay, so I didn't really cause it but it feels like I did) so I haven't really spent much time looking at the thing. :(
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Return to “Other Worlds”