List of D&D worlds and settings

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: List of D&D worlds and settings

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:42 am

lostanddamned wrote:Looking through, it's a pretty good list, yeah I notice Diablo's II world not listed, but did it even get a name?

As for settings, I can't help but notice that 'The Vale' from the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure game (1999) and it's two free fastplay downloads and two published fastplay modules appears to by missing, I know it's a smaller location then say Thunder Rift, but's it's still an offical D&D location which was published more then once....
Ah yeah. I thought of it as part of Thunder Rift because some fans had incorporated them together, but you're right, it's technically separate.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Wikipedia confirms that the world that Diablo is set on, is called Sanctuary.

There is a Diablo Wiki out there, if anyone feels like raiding lore from the computer games and using it to expand upon the tabletop game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:59 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:51 am
Kaddas
An ancient empire. Its capital is Kaddastrei. The city of Blackwall was once part of it. From Cityscape.
I'm about to use this, and other generic countries from various 3e sources to create a new, shared campaign world for my players

(Also, interestingly enough, this is the first link that Google has for Kaddas D&D)
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:59 am
ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:51 am
Kaddas
An ancient empire. Its capital is Kaddastrei. The city of Blackwall was once part of it. From Cityscape.
I'm about to use this, and other generic countries from various 3e sources to create a new, shared campaign world for my players
Fascinating....

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Do we count Deepearth - the realm from the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide? It was designed to drop into the DM's own world, but technically it is as small part of it's own realm.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Do we count Deepearth - the realm from the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide? It was designed to drop into the DM's own world, but technically it is as small part of it's own realm.
Interesting! Is this meant to be a separate realm from the Underdark?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 pm
Khedrac wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Interesting! Is this meant to be a separate realm from the Underdark?

-Havard
Actually, Deepearth is one of the many realms that, taken together, form "The Underdark".

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature ... -underdark
INTRODUCING THE UNDERDARK

The story of the Underdark begins in the AD&D adventure module Hall of the Fire Giant King (1978), the third of Gary Gygax’s classic trilogy of giant adventures. During the finale of that adventure, the characters acquire a map that depicts “vast subterranean cities or other strange places which are far deeper than any dungeon known.”

This hook led directly into Descent into the Depths of the Earth (1978), where for the first time, adventurers descended into a deep and mysterious land filled with mindflayers, the dark fey known as jermlaines, umber hulks, and more. Descent into the Depths of the Earth was successful at unveiling the vastness of the world below. However, that world came more fully to life in the followup adventures Shrine of the Kuo-Toa and Vault of the Drow that same year. In their depictions of whole civilizations of the fishlike kuo-toa and the dark elves, those adventures elevated monsters from the denizens of random dungeon rooms to members of a living, breathing society. Fighting was no longer the only option for dealing with monsters—and in fact, any group trying to fight its way through Vault of the Drow would be in for a deadly challenge.

Gygax never used the word ‘Underdark,’ but his groundbreaking vision of underground civilization was the basis of everything that followed. It was Douglas Niles who took the next step almost a decade a later, when his Dungeoneer’s Survival Guide (1986) promised to reveal “the unknown depths of the Underdark!” Niles was walking in Gygax’s footsteps when he described the Underdark as “the region of caverns and realms beneath even the deepest of dungeons.” He peopled that realm with many of the same races that Gygax had, including drow and kuo-toa, but also added new denizens such as duergar and myconids.

Though he invented the term ‘Underdark,’ Niles didn’t use it in the same way as later authors. For him, it wasn’t a specific place name, but rather a generic term that encompassed all the underground realms of D&D. His Underdark was a toolkit meant to give DMs the ability to imagine their own underground realms. The Dungeoneer’s Survival Guide included one such realm: Deepearth. This somewhat generic campaign zone highlighted the adventuring possibilities of the Underdark, and so became D&D’s second great underground realm after the drow and kuo-toa territories that Gygax had explored.

For a few years after that, ‘Deepearth’ was the name given to underground realms. The adventure The Mines of Bloodstone (1986) thus featured the duergar “Kingdom of Deepearth,” which was very much in the spirit of Gygax’s original underground campaigns but with a new race taking prominence. References to Deepearth realms also appear in other contemporary books such as The Savage Frontier (1988).

With the advent of second edition AD&D in 1989, the term Deepearth largely faded away except when referring to the duergar Bloodstone lands. That’s because a new character was rising to the fore of D&D lore and heralding a new vision of the world below.

Drizzt Do’Urden was a drow exile who first appeared in R.A. Salvatore’s novel, The Crystal Shard (1988). From the time of that first book of Salvatore’s Icewind Dale trilogy, Drizzt was a breakout success, due in no small part to his mysterious origins and his “years in Menzoberranzan, or in the wilds of the Underdark . . .” With that one sentence, Salvatore ensured that the Underdark would rise up to unseat Deepearth as the collective name for D&D’s underground realms—and that fans would want to know more about those realms.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 am

I guess you should add the "World of the Sharn". It's an alternate universe from the world of Nerath/World Axis cosmology, where the primordials won the Dawn War and an alternate version of Tharizdun eventually destroyed that universe. The gods of the Dawn War pantheon sealed their Tharizdun there, and this event eventually spawned the Abyssal Plague that almost ravaged the whole multiverse. The Sharns of the World Axis cosmology (as well as the Juna, that IIRC, are from Spelljammer) came from this world as well.

I'ts mentioned in "Ecology of the Sharn" (in the part of the article dedicated to the "core" Sharn, that are differentiated from the FR Sharn) and in the main tetralogy of the Abyssal Plague novels.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:59 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 am
I guess you should add the "World of the Sharn". It's an alternate universe from the world of Nerath/World Axis cosmology, where the primordials won the Dawn War and an alternate version of Tharizdun eventually destroyed that universe.
Yeah, good call. I've read that article, but this is an old thread and I haven't updated it in ages. I should add Ravinica and other Magic: The Gathering planes that have received D&D conversions, too.

lookatroopa
Orc

Post by lookatroopa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Part two of the Experience Preferred trilogy of adventures, published in Polyhedron #73, takes place on a Prime Material world called Quorsit. The thing that stands out most about this world is that, due to ambient magic, pretty much every thinking being can cast spells.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:40 pm

lookatroopa wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Part two of the Experience Preferred trilogy of adventures, published in Polyhedron #73, takes place on a Prime Material world called Quorsit. The thing that stands out most about this world is that, due to ambient magic, pretty much every thinking being can cast spells.
Nice find! I am not familiar with that one! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Since you have listed multiple worlds from the same settings then logically we can do the same for other settings.
Notably, you have included Azeroth, the base world of Warcraft from the RPG, and, though I have not checked the rulebook, Draenor (or its shattered remnants) must also be part of that game and count to the world list.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Return to “Other Worlds”