[HREF] HR3 Celts - Anyone run campaigns in the world of Celts?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[HREF] HR3 Celts - Anyone run campaigns in the world of Celts?

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:07 pm

HR3 Celts details how to run campaigns in the world of this culture which spanned across not just the British Isles, but large parts of Europe. I could see a lot of potential for running both a more realisic game and a more fantastical or mythological one.

This campaign could easily cross over with other HREF Earth Setting campaigns, like the HR5 Glory of Rome or HR1 Vikings.

Others have suggested that this book is also ideal to use with Fairy mythology even delving into the Feywild or Fairy Planes.

The Authof or HR3 Celts, Graeme Davis, is a member of The Piazza and has a Q&A thread about his book here.

What source material can be used to expand a Celtic World campaign?

From the Avalanche Press series:
  • Celtic Age: Role-Playing the Myths
  • Heroes & Monsters of the Celts
  • The Little People: A d20 Guide to Fairies,

GURPS CELTS could also be very useful.

How would you set up the campaign? What would be its focus?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [HREF] HR3 Celts - Anyone run campaigns in the world of Celts?

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Role Aids back cover of "Evil Ruins" says, "The Castle was old when it harbored Celtish Kings. To the Saxons it is only a few walls in the forest. But both knew terror stalked among its . . . EVIL RUINS"

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Oh definitely! Those graphic novels really made me fall in love with Celtic myths :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Raymond wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 pm
Role Aids back cover of "Evil Ruins" says, "The Castle was old when it harbored Celtish Kings. To the Saxons it is only a few walls in the forest. But both knew terror stalked among its . . . EVIL RUINS"

Nice!

I like having Role Aids mentioned. I might have to pick this up if I ever get the chance :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:45 am

Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 pm
Raymond wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Nice!

I like having Role Aids mentioned. I might have to pick this up if I ever get the chance :)

-Havard
Evil Ruins has kind of a weird, ahistorical background, but the back cover is misleading; the backstory is supposed to have taken place during the reign of the Saxon kings; the adventure itself takes place 400 years later. As best as I can tell, though they changed some of the names, it's loosely inspired by the betrayal of Alfred Aetheling at the hands of Godwin, Earl of Wessex in 1036. The only thing Celtic in this adventure is the cult of the Welsh king of the underworld, Arawn, which this adventure has a Saxon king worshipping. The pregenerated PC cleric is a cleric of Zeus, so this is a version of England circa 1436 where Christianity never took hold.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:35 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:45 am
Evil Ruins has kind of a weird, ahistorical background, but the back cover is misleading; the backstory is supposed to have taken place during the reign of the Saxon kings; the adventure itself takes place 400 years later. As best as I can tell, though they changed some of the names, it's loosely inspired by the betrayal of Alfred Aetheling at the hands of Godwin, Earl of Wessex in 1036. The only thing Celtic in this adventure is the cult of the Welsh king of the underworld, Arawn, which this adventure has a Saxon king worshipping. The pregenerated PC cleric is a cleric of Zeus, so this is a version of England circa 1436 where Christianity never took hold.
That sounds like an interesting setting, but still a pretty odd basis for a standalone adventure! :o

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Celts was not among the very, very few HR books I picked up, but I do own GURPS Celts. I have never run a "pure" Celtic campaign, but Celtic myth and folklore was a strong influence on how I treated the Faerie realm and at least one human nation in my old Arcadayn campaign.

In my Greek myth game, I've used a mix of GURPS Celts and other sources* to help populate Gaul, the Tin Isles [British Isles], and adjacent lands. There were true Celts in those regions in Roman times, but I'm not sure about the Archaic Greek era. For my purposes, creating some Celtic-based cultures and names, without ever calling them "Celts," was plenty good enough for the game. (I do incorporate a lot of real-world history in the game to make it come to life, but with it being an epic fantasy story, I also make up a ton of stuff out of whole cloth, based on some tiny kernel of inspiration.)

* An woefully incomplete list would be: Herodotus's Histories; Robert Graves' Greek Myths (for example, the tree magic in GURPS Celts is straight out of the nonsense that fill his footnotes in Greek Myths, and later books); and an eclectic mishmash of what I could recall from a Celtic Lit class I took in college.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “Other Worlds”