[HREF] Is HR1 Vikings viable as a fantasy world?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[HREF] Is HR1 Vikings viable as a fantasy world?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 am

I've seen a couple of topics where people want to use HR1 Vikings as part of a Historical Earth, but I'm wondering how well it holds up (accompanied by the Norse Mythology chapter, from Legends & Lore) as a standalone fantasy world.

Basically, what I'm looking for, is a Norse setting that is not actually the real world...

...but the world that was perceived to be real by the Norsemen of the era described in HR1 Vikings.

By this I mean:
  • Norse legends,
  • Norse mythology,
  • Norse religion and
  • Norse cosmology.
Are assumed to be true (or mostly true).

And:
  • Non-Norse legends,
  • Non-Norse mythology,
  • Non-Norse religion and
  • Non-Norse cosmology.
Are assumed to be non-existent...unless Norse mythology needs them to be there.

One thing I would like to avoid is getting dragged into including other Historical Reference cultures, just because they are near the HR1 Vikings area and then getting dragged into including other sources that butt up to those lands. Because that will mean I would potentially end up with a simulation of the entire real-world...instead of a fantasy Viking culture.

Another thing I would like to avoid is an influx of non-Nordic religions.

I'd like something that is Norse...that would stay Norse. It might advance over time. But it would advance in a Nordic way. (Rather than advancing in a way where external religious and cultural pressure transformed society and turned it into something else.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [HREF] Is HR1 Vikings viable as a fantasy world?

Post by timemrick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm not sure how "Viking-like" a Norse setting would feel without including at least a couple other cultures for them to come into conflict with. After all, who are the Norse going to raid when they go a-Viking? Sure, you could have a world made up of one Norse-based tribe after another, which raid each other on and off, but I'm not sure that feels sufficient. And it would definitely make living by raiding much harder if ALL the potential targets belong to the same warrior culture.

When I was developing my Greek Myth game, I included quite a lot of non-Greek cultures, but the emphasis was always on the Greeks (and near-Greeks, like Troy), with the rest of the world being very much influenced by what the Greeks themselves believed about other lands. The borders of the world were largely what Herodotus knew a few centuries later: the Mediterranean, plus a vague sense of the shape of northern Europe, north and eastern Africa, Scythia, and Mesopotamia, and pretty much nothing east of Persia. Then I added in the legendary lands of Hyperborea, Ethiopia, Colchis, Cimmeria, and the Amazons, which were all very Greek in feel because that's who told stories about them.

A fantasy Viking setting certainly doesn't need as broad a scope as I used for that game, but the Vikings were prodigious travelers, so that should be reflected in the setting somehow. I don't know Norse mythology well enough to know what (if anything) the myths themselves say about the geography of "Midgard," but it should be a fascinating topic to research.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm

Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 am
I've seen a couple of topics where people want to use HR1 Vikings as part of a Historical Earth, but I'm wondering how well it holds up (accompanied by the Norse Mythology chapter, from Legends & Lore) as a standalone fantasy world.
IMO HR1 and the HR series in general have a different aim. They typically attempt to simulate a fairly realistic version of historical earth, with a few magical and supernatural elements. Although the books do discuss the option of having a more mythological approach to the setting. For a purely mythological interpretation of the setting, it might be better to start with non-RPG sources and expand from there though.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 pm

If you really want to be a purist, raid from the Viking-like cultures of multiple game worlds (such as the Ruathym of FR) and throw them all in together. Therefore the Viking background stays consistent but there is just enough variation to simulate multiple cultures that all formed under similar gods and circumstances. Just a thought.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Other Worlds”