[Dark Albion] Beyond the Pale Curtain Part the Third [Solo Campaign]

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Hobgoblin

[Dark Albion] Beyond the Pale Curtain Part the Third [Solo Campaign]

Post by 1970 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 am

One of the benefits of running a solo campaign is that I can be a little flaky and the show still goes on. I was beginning to feel constrained by Krevborna and, combined with some new Ravenloft products I received for the holidays I was kind of lost. Dark Albion, written by the RPGPundit, seems like a good place to pick up the pieces of my campaign and continue onward.

What's happened before: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22725

Dark Albion: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/15 ... rk++albion

Dark Albion PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/15 ... e-Rose-War

What hasn't changed is the system (Lamentations of the Flame Princess) the characters, or the general plot of the game.

What has changed is some of the locations and niggling details that hadn't been really explored yet. For example, the characters are no longer in Creedhall, but in Oxford. Everything else I'll play by ear. I apologize in advance for my inevitable butchering fantasy Great Briton geography. Thanks.

Hobgoblin

Re: [Dark Albion] Beyond the Pale Curtain Part the Third [Solo Campaign]

Post by 1970 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am

While drowning their money troubles in cheap wine, the two of them were approached by three men wearing the clothes of academics. The man at the head introduced himself as Professor Leynhall, and his assistants as John and Joseph. If they would be so kind as to accompany them to the back and listen to a short proposal, he would be happy to take care of their tabs for the evening. Elbowing Abigail, Emily was already out of her seat before Abigail had a chance to consider the offer. Shaking her head, she followed the warrior to the back and toward potential employment.

Professor Leynhall (call me Charles) said that the citizens of an out of the way village named Dirkshire had supposedly uncovered the ruins of what appeared to be an underground warren of some type. He wasn't sure, but there could be important artifacts to be found there. While he had hired a guide and a number of mercenaries, he hadn't hired a captain for them. He was hoping that Emily would lead them, for a fair price of course. He would also like to take on Abigail as a consultant of antiquities, considering her recent subjects of study at the University Library. Noting the confusion on Abigail's face, the Professor explained that he had taken the liberty of checking the registry for what books she was researching.

Why would he do something like that, Abigail asked, somewhat taken aback. Considering the recent troubles at the Sutton House, he thought the two of them would be perfect if something supernatural still lived (or didn't live, as the case might be) within the warren during the excavation. It wouldn't be a charity though, he'd pay her a fair wage as well, say 500 silvers for the both of them. They'd have to leave quickly though, as he wanted to be the first at the site. No later than tomorrow. He had everything already taken care of; horses, food, bedding, everything he could think of. Would they be interested?

Admittedly, Abigail was annoyed about being spied upon, but having the Professor come to her for her expertise stroked her ego enough that it hardly mattered. Emily, however, had stopped listening as soon as she heard she'd be paid, even if it were only a fair wage. Smiling broadly, she accepted the job for the both of them. Abigail glared at Emily for a second or two before rolling her eyes and nodding. It wasn't like silver was falling out of the sky for them, and she could stand to get away for a time. Perhaps her dreams would subside once she was out of the city.

After letting the Professor take care of their tabs, they retreated to the Sutton Residence for a good night's sleep before heading out on the morrow.

Hobgoblin

Post by 1970 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:33 pm

Setting out for Dirkshire, the pair had little time for preparations, either for equipment or for the consequences of their merriment the night before. Still, the silver was good, so they left in relatively good cheer. The weather held for the most part, and the only encounters were with various peasants going about their days. Soon enough, Dirkshire was within sight.

Within the shire though, the people were in mourning. Ever since they had discovered the old keep something in the night comes and steals their children! At first Professor Leynhall was aghast; his research would be in danger if something was wandering the night. And the children. Of course. After some quick talking by Abigail however, the Professor allowed a fact finding mission to the warren to see if the mission could be completed. And the children rescued. Thusly, taking the mercenaries with them, the pair headed off toward the tower.

It was the howls that alerted them first. Unnaturally large wolves crashed through the forest towards them! Almost as soon as it started, three of the startled mercenaries were torn asunder. As the others attempted to turn tail and run, another fell before the might of their canine jaws. Abigail and Emily however, were made of sterner stuff, and, with minimal injuries, drove the beasts off into the setting sun.

If anything at this tower cares, that certainly would alert them Emily stated, so we may as well push forward before they come after us or the shire. Nodding knowingly, Abigail followed Emily deeper into the forest.

The rest of the trip was eerily quiet as the tower started to come into view. Moving past what was once the gate, they discovered a trap door leading to a staircase headed beneath the fort. Reaching the bottom and lighting a torch, it wasn't long before they encountered another grouping of the huge wolves. Attempting in vain to sneak past them, battle was soon joined! This time the fight wasn't so easy as the beasts tore through the pair with unnatural strength.

The it was, in a fit of desperation, Abigail started chanting. Soon her voice rose to something of a scream as the words of conjuration tore a hole between reality and someplace else. From it came a thing of rot, perhaps a fungus of some sort, that undulated toward the wolves, bringing death and disease to them until all were dead. Releasing a sigh of relief, Abigail failed to notice the horror etched across Emily's face.

By the Sun what have you done!? Emily cried out. What kind of witch are you!?

I just saved our lives Abigail calmly stated, trying to placate the increasingly hysterical Emily. You knew I was skilled in the Art practically from the first moment we met.

I didn't know that you were a demon summoner! Emily screamed. You may have sold your soul, but you'll not damn mine as well! Unnerved, she lunged forward toward Abigail, fully intent on driving her sword through the foul sorceress' heart.

Unfortunately for her, Abigail, though wounded, still held dominion over the thing from the other side. Ordering it to protect her, the monster reached its mass out and forced itself through Emily's mouth and nose, killing the warrior from the inside. Soon after, she lay dead on the floor, skin barely beginning to decay from her battle. Picking up Emily's sword, Abigail numbly left her creature to feast on what was once her friend while she made her way back to the surface, stinging with tears and betrayal.

Hobgoblin

Post by 1970 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Having carefully made her way back to Dirkshire, Emily met with the remaining mercenary and Professor Leynhall. It was decided that it was simply too dangerous to mount a return for the bodies, and the expedition was to end here. Not quite able to meet the disappointed shire-folk's gazes and possibly not trusting them to not assassinate them in the night, they turned for the long trip back to Oxford.

Another fairly uneventful voyage through the dirt paths led them safely back to the city. Wit further dismay, Abigail learned that Charles Leynhall would not be paying her after all. The contract, if you recall, was for the successful return of the party, not helping leading them into death. She almost killed him, feeding him to that in between space she summoned that monster from, but held her temper in check. No good would come of being hung or burned at the stake. After some halfhearted arguing, she returned to Sutton House to get some real sleep and recuperate from her wounds.

The dreams returned.

She could only stand to stay for as long as it took for her wounds to heal, spending her days and nights in drunken oblivion in an vain attempt to assuage her guilt and growing madness. Having no where else to turn and no leads to follow, she decided to make her way back to Dale. She could perhaps consult Nathaniel Cottswood about her dreams and maybe take up residence in the abandoned wizard's tower outside of town. Besides, it was doubtful that Ambrose would suspect her to return from whence she came. It might not have been a good plan, but a plan it was, and so early in the morning she left.

Hobgoblin

Post by 1970 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:39 pm

I've flaked out on settings again :oops: . I'm switching it up again, but this time not shoehorning myself into something I'll either tire of or write myself into a corner using.

The continuation of Beyond the Pale Curtain is here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23235

This is the last time, I swear.

Thanks for reading thus far.

Return to “Other Worlds”