[Aventuria] Would The Dark Eye's setting work with other systems?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Aventuria] Would The Dark Eye's setting work with other systems?

Post by Tim Baker »

I just came across the Scriptorium Aventuris community content program for Aventuria, the setting used in The Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge. With Aventuria having been around for 30+ years and evolving over 5 editions of the game – several of which I understand to be quite different from one another – I was wondering what other game system might be a good fit for the setting.

What makes Aventuria unique? There was a discussion four years ago, but I haven't seen the setting covered much since then. In my limited experience, the setting fosters play at a lower power level than many systems. Magic is a more precious resource. There's a dark fairy tale vibe.

Shadow of the Demon Lord came to mind, although it wouldn't be a perfect fit. Also, it isn't an open license system (a stipulation of the program), so it couldn't be used outside of a home brew game.

What do you think? Are there other systems that would fit Aventuria nicely?

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Aventuria] Would The Dark Eye's setting work with other systems?

Post by Yaztromo »

I think that Aventuria (https://en.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Main_Page) would work well with most fantasy systems (and most low-to mid level fantasy adventures after minor adaptation and re-skinning), but it is more medieval fantasy (not really grim fantasy) and therefore maybe better having some limitation to excessively high powers and magic.
As a flavour, there are quite a lot of names and more direct references to German / Scandinavian cultures compared to various other fantasy settings widely published.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16 am
I think that Aventuria (https://en.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Main_Page) would work well with most fantasy systems (and most low-to mid level fantasy adventures after minor adaptation and re-skinning), but it is more medieval fantasy (not really grim fantasy) and therefore maybe better having some limitation to excessively high powers and magic.
I suspect you're right. I've come across a few posts about DMs running 5th Edition D&D in Aventuria. It sounds like the biggest complexity tends to be the very different magic system.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Actually the historic approach to the magic system in the Dark Eye was much more fun than D&D one for live sessions, as the magician was required to stand up and utter (correctly) the arcane magic word (or two) that is associated to the name of the spell. "I cast magic missile" is not the same, if you sit around a table.. :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am
Actually the historic approach to the magic system in the Dark Eye was much more fun than D&D one for live sessions, as the magician was required to stand up and utter (correctly) the arcane magic word (or two) that is associated to the name of the spell. "I cast magic missile" is not the same, if you sit around a table.. :)
Oh wow, I didn't know that! That could either be incredibly fun, or terribly horrifying, depending on what type of personality you have!

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 pm
Oh wow, I didn't know that! That could either be incredibly fun, or terribly horrifying, depending on what type of personality you have!
That's what roleplaying is for! :mrgreen:

Return to “Other Worlds”