[HRef] Adventures in Ancient Greece and Similar Settings- What Resources are available?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[HRef] Adventures in Ancient Greece and Similar Settings- What Resources are available?

Post by Havard »

Related Threads: AD&D HREF: Historical Reference Books Overview Adventures in Africa, Adventures in South & Central America, Adventures in India, Adventures in North America Vinland: North America Campaign, Adventures in Egypt

We already have a thread about HR6: Age of Heroes, but I also wanted to create a separate thread for discussing the wide variety of Greek inspired settings and relevant source material for various historical Greek era inspired settings and campaigns.

ANCIENT GREECE
  • HR6: Age of Heroes (TSR, AD&D)
  • D&D Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods and Heroes (1976) - Greek pantheon
  • AD&D 1st Ed Deities & Demigods - Greek pantheon
  • AD&D 1st Ed Legends & Lore - Greek pantheon
  • AD&D 2nd ed Legends & Lore - Greek pantheon
  • D&D 3rd Ed Deities & Demigods - Greek pantheon
  • D&D 5th Ed Players Handbook - Greek pantheon
  • Trojan War (Mythic Vistas, Green Ronin)
  • Thesseus and the Minotaur, TSR Video Game

D&D / D20 Campaign Settings Magazine Articles
TBD

Non-D&D Resources
What other material is out there? Do you see any benefits from mixing and matching these?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: [HRef] Adventures in Ancient Greece and Similar Settings- What Resources are available?

Post by Khedrac »

Some of the deities of related cultures were written up and published in Dragon Magazine for 1st Ed - for example Mithras (Roman) and Sobek (Egyptian) were in one issue, an I am sure that other issues will have articles relating to greek culture.

As for non-D&D, the Monster Colliseum box for Avalon Hill RuneQuest (3rd Ed) has a reasonable look at at colliseum combat (again more Roman).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [HRef] Adventures in Ancient Greece and Similar Settings- What Resources are available?

Post by ripvanwormer »

Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes by Aaron Allston, for the Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero games, is a great sourcebook.

There's also The New Argonauts by Sean K. Reynolds, a d20 sourcebook that he's now giving away for free.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

Odyssey of the Dragonlords, for D&D 5E, by Arcanum Worlds.

"The Blood of Medusa," Dragon Magazine (February 1982). [Descendants of Medusa from Classical Greek and medieval sources]

GURPS Fantasy Bestiary [includes many mythological creatures]
GURPS Monsters [includes Asterius the Minotaur, Medusa, Scylla]

BESM Fantasy Bestiary [includes several classical mythological monsters]
Last edited by timemrick on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

For D&D 5e, there's also:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:00 pm
For D&D 5e, there's also:
These look great!

Thanks for linking to them. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:53 pm
What other material is out there? Do you see any benefits from mixing and matching these?
SJA3 Crystal Spheres contains a crystal sphere, called Greatspace, that was said to be created by Zeus after he got bored with mortals elsewhere. (That means it is not supposed to be the homeworld of the Greek pantheon, in the D&D multiverse.)

Mythic Odysseys of Theros is a Greek-inspired campaign setting, from the Magic: The Gathering universe.

Both of those are Greek-inspired, rather than Ancient Greece, so they are not going to be quite right, but there might be a few useful elements to them both.

The M:tG setting has a lot more pages (and the entire thing is a Greek-inspired land) so it's probably the best source out of the two.

I've actually been looking at Greek-inspired things, off and on, over the years, in order to flesh out Greatspace and turn it into the Hellenic Crystal Sphere.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Gnoll

Post by 1970 »

Troll Lord Games put out a series of books detailing real world cultures for its Castles & Crusades game, including Classical Greece.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/19 ... odex+class

EDIT: TLG also put out a Deities and Demigods style supplement for various pantheons, including Classical Greece (and oddly, Roman as well)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65 ... rers_id=86
Formless Faceless and Free

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

I've added a link to my post above. The AW website has a link to the free Player's Guide for Odyssey of the Dragonlords on DriveThruRPG. (I haven't made time to read much of the full hardcover adventure yet, beyond what's excerpted in the P.G., but it's very intriguing so far!)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil »

Was "Age of Myth" for 5e already mentioned? https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/288543/Age-of-Myth

Also, there are a few 3e sources from Green Ronin, like Hamunaptra, Testament, Trojan Wars and Eternal Rome.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Pathfinder 1E's Distant Shores features (among other sites) information on Aelyosos, a city in the Greek-inspired Iblydan Archipelago of Golarion. It is largely descriptive (new locale, some brief history, etc.) but does have entries on a couple of Greek-inspired weapons as well as some new Mythic Path abilities connected to Cyclopses, and a description of two of the Hero-Gods of Iblydos (mortals who gained mythic power and now grant spells to their followers).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Other Worlds”