D&D Micro-Settings

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: D&D Micro-Settings

Post by RobJN » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Noxxon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Did anyone mention the Paradise LakeRegion from the Tale of the Comet boxed set?
Tale of the Comet is a good one. I always thought that it would tie in well with a Blackmoor type of campaign. I know that some of the Blackmoor stuff mentioned other races/space explorers, and not just those that use magic to do it. I do not remember what happened to the crashed ship in Blackmoor, but I do remember some form of a war going on in the space community at that time. Maybe the Overseer, the Kir and the Rael could have had something to do with it.

Noxxon
The ship imploded when critical pieces of the reactor core were taken/traded away for scrap, leaving the engine core which eventually became the Radiance-emitting Nucleus of the Spheres.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:43 pm

RobJN wrote:
Noxxon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Did anyone mention the Paradise LakeRegion from the Tale of the Comet boxed set?
Tale of the Comet is a good one. I always thought that it would tie in well with a Blackmoor type of campaign. I know that some of the Blackmoor stuff mentioned other races/space explorers, and not just those that use magic to do it. I do not remember what happened to the crashed ship in Blackmoor, but I do remember some form of a war going on in the space community at that time. Maybe the Overseer, the Kir and the Rael could have had something to do with it.

Noxxon
The ship imploded when critical pieces of the reactor core were taken/traded away for scrap, leaving the engine core which eventually became the Radiance-emitting Nucleus of the Spheres.
Yes, I know that part of it. What I meant was that I do not remember what happened to the ship that caused it to become damaged and crash in the first place.

Noxxon
You can't get over stupid when you're stuck on dumb.

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:03 am

Noxxon wrote: The ship imploded when critical pieces of the reactor core were taken/traded away for scrap, leaving the engine core which eventually became the Radiance-emitting Nucleus of the Spheres.
Yes, I know that part of it. What I meant was that I do not remember what happened to the ship that caused it to become damaged and crash in the first place.

Noxxon[/quote]
:oops:Hmm... DA 3 states:
DA3: City of the Gods wrote:the FSS Beagle... suffered a serious malfunction in its drive pod while in orbit around the sole inhabited world in a minor and heretofor uncataloged star system. ... a power plant explosion destroyed the ship’s spatial discontinuity field and even damaged its conventional drive.
I've seen other references that mention dimensional slips, but don't remember precisely where....
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 am

RobJN wrote:
Noxxon wrote: The ship imploded when critical pieces of the reactor core were taken/traded away for scrap, leaving the engine core which eventually became the Radiance-emitting Nucleus of the Spheres.

Noxxon
:oops:Hmm... DA 3 states:
DA3: City of the Gods wrote:the FSS Beagle... suffered a serious malfunction in its drive pod while in orbit around the sole inhabited world in a minor and heretofor uncataloged star system. ... a power plant explosion destroyed the ship’s spatial discontinuity field and even damaged its conventional drive.
I've seen other references that mention dimensional slips, but don't remember precisely where....[/quote]

That could be part of it. I dont have a quote for you at this time, but I believe it was something about the Magic of Mystara interfering with the Beagle's control systems that actually caused it to crash. I will have to dig out DA3 to see if I can find it there though.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Bouv wrote:I'm not sure if anyone ever did, but what about the HHQ "One-on-One" series from 2nd Edition (Fighter's Challenge, Cleric's Challenge, etc.). Could those be combined into one larger micro-setting?
Page 6 of Wizard's Challenge I describes how to link it to Fighter's Challenge I. I have not found such suggestions in any of the other modules, but that does not mean that they could not all be linked.

Noxxon

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 pm

RobJN wrote:I've seen other references that mention dimensional slips, but don't remember precisely where....
In Supplement II: Blackmoor there's no mention of a crash at all. It says that Stephen the Rock is from "another world/dimension," but doesn't elaborate on what the difference between those two things is. It says "Originally, he and his compatriots were sent to the area to police it against incursions of similar beings, for it was discovered that a dimensional nexus point existed in this area that allowed such possibilities. He assumed leadership of the Temple in order to have a base of power, for he now seeks glory and personal gain, with as little personal risk as possible."

I'm not sure what the "dimensional nexus point" was, but it might be the Come Back Inn. Stephen's people have a satellite in orbit, which is apparently still intact and staffed with others of his kind, though the rest of his team is dead for undisclosed reasons. Stephen is expected to report to the satellite once a year with a report, and his motivation for taking over the frog cult is to gain enough power that his people can't capture and execute him.

Wrath of the Immortals had a different take. In that boxed set, the civilization that created the Beagle was specifically from another dimension. The Beagle ended up in Mystara's universe due to a freak accident involving a randomly encountered "energy vortex." "The disabled ship was whirled through the dimensional barriers, where the crew managed a crash-landing on the surface of the planet Mystara." In this version, there are no other ships and very little possibility of any other ships ever chancing across the exact same energy vortex and ending up on the exact same planet.

The d20 version of City of the Gods seems vaguer. The Beagle in this version is designed with the ability to travel through the Ethereal Plane, which implies it's native to the D&D multiverse but not necessarily the same plane. It does make sense that ships in the D&D multiverse would use the Ethereal as a shortcut for FTL travel, since as written travel through the Ethereal is a lot faster than slower-than-light space travel would be. This version mentions a crash and a mutiny, but I couldn't find a reason given for the crash. There is a suggestion that alien player characters could play through the adventure as bounty hunters or space cops tasked with bringing the mutineers to justice, and it's implied that these aliens could be of any species. They could easily play one of the races from Tale of the Comet.

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:13 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
RobJN wrote:I've seen other references that mention dimensional slips, but don't remember precisely where....
In Supplement II: Blackmoor there's no mention of a crash at all. It says that Stephen the Rock is from "another world/dimension," but doesn't elaborate on what the difference between those two things is. It says "Originally, he and his compatriots were sent to the area to police it against incursions of similar beings, for it was discovered that a dimensional nexus point existed in this area that allowed such possibilities. He assumed leadership of the Temple in order to have a base of power, for he now seeks glory and personal gain, with as little personal risk as possible."
That would be the one I'm thinking of. I knew that there was a mention of an incursion/invasion/war somewhere in one of the Blackmoor books that could be used to link Tale of the Comet into a Blackmoor/Mystara campaign. Thanks for finding it.

Noxxon

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
I'm not sure what the "dimensional nexus point" was, but it might be the Come Back Inn. Stephen's people have a satellite in orbit, which is apparently still intact and staffed with others of his kind, though the rest of his team is dead for undisclosed reasons. Stephen is expected to report to the satellite once a year with a report, and his motivation for taking over the frog cult is to gain enough power that his people can't capture and execute him.

Wrath of the Immortals had a different take. In that boxed set, the civilization that created the Beagle was specifically from another dimension. The Beagle ended up in Mystara's universe due to a freak accident involving a randomly encountered "energy vortex." "The disabled ship was whirled through the dimensional barriers, where the crew managed a crash-landing on the surface of the planet Mystara." In this version, there are no other ships and very little possibility of any other ships ever chancing across the exact same energy vortex and ending up on the exact same planet.
Wrath of the Immortals -- that was where I remember that dimensional vortex reference!

DA3 mentions that the Beagle had been in orbit around the 'backwater planet' for a while before its engine pod went ka-blooey.... Could that have been the satellite of 'Saint' Stephen's people?
Rob

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:41 am

I noticed that Tale of the Comet also involves a "transdimensional gate." The Beagle could be watching over one of the Rael stargates, perhaps one the Overseer later discovers.

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:16 am

I think that I have found some links between the Ahardalon AP modules and Stormport (see Bastion of Faith, College of Wizardry and Den of Thieves, among many others).

1. The Ashen Plain region (as shown on the map in The Sunless Citadel) seems to be the same location named in the final adventure in College of Wizardry.

The Ashen Plain in The Sunless Citadel is said to have been created by the rampages of Ashardalon.

The Ashen Plain in College of Wizardry is said to have been created by the rampages of 'The Dragon of Shades'.

2. The Shirelands region (as hinted at on the map in Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad - Masters of Eternal Night module) seems to be the same location where the town of Longbridge and Firestorm Peak are located (see pg. 4 of The Gates of Firestorm Peak).

I do not have the Wrath of Ashardalon game, but I do know that at least some of the action takes place around/in Firestorm Peak. Maybe Ashardalon found his way to the Bastion of Unborn Souls by using one of the many Gates found in Firestorme Peak?

Is there anyone here that has both the Ahardalon AP modules and the Wrath of Ashardalon game that could find some solid links between the two?

Is there anyone here that has both The Gates of Firestorm Peak module and the Wrath of Ashardalon game that could find some solid links between the two?

Note: I am not looking for whole pages of copy/paste text or links to scanned pages from that game. I am only looking for brief descriptions (in your own words) on any connections that may exist.

Noxxon

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:52 am

Peter Lee wrote:The original 2nd Edition adventure, The Gates of Firestorm Peak, featured duergar and various unspeakable forms from the Far Realm ... (the creatures from The Gates of Firestorm Peak & Dragon Mountain became) ... kobolds, orcs, aberrants, and duergar. Some of the theme was fleshed out with monstrous companions: drakes, cave bears, and legion devils.

Ashardalon is the dragon introduced in the first adventure path for 3rd Edition, starting with The Sunless Citadel and finishing with Bastion of Broken Souls. Hints of his history are mentioned throughout the entire series, especially in Heart of Nightfang Spire ... Ashardalon is a powerful foe in the modules, so I imagine Wrath of Ashardalon to be a possible history for the dragon — its events happening long before The Sunless Citadel and Bastion of Broken Souls.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... d/20110302

Peter Lee is one of the designers that worked on the Wrath of Ashardalon board game.

Noxxon

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

So even as early as DA3, the concept of the Known World as Earth in the Age of Magic (per Master Set) was apparently discarded, as the "planet" referenced in DA3 doesn't seem to be Earth (or at least it's not to the crew of the Beagle?)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Regarding Ashardalon, the following may help:
Ashardalon is the dragon introduced in the first adventure path for 3rd Edition, starting with The Sunless Citadel and finishing with Bastion of Broken Souls. Hints of his history are mentioned throughout the entire series, especially in Heart of Nightfang Spire. For more background on Ashardalon, I recommend checking out those adventures.
From http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... d/20110302

Regarding Nerath and other elements of 4e's "implied setting", there is the added difficulty that initial locales were designed as micro-settings, because that was the original direction of 4e. However, at this time Nerath, as described in the boardgame's world map (and, more, through the 4e novels) has become a full setting, even though one lacking in gaming support.
It is worth noting that many elements originally designed for Greyhawk in 1e or 3e (Tsojcanth, Vault of the Drow, Sunless Citadel, etc.) are incorporated in Nerath in 4e, much like the Isle of Dread was used in Greyhawk in 3e. It is difficult to say if this makes them mini-settings or not.

GP

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Palace of the Silver Princess goes into Avignon (sp?)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Bouv wrote:Palace of the Silver Princess goes into Avignon (sp?)
Nah, Palace of the Silver Princess is set in the Known World, either in Haven/Karameikos (Green Cover) or on the Adri Varma Plateau (Orange Cover).

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Castle Amber does have a portion set in CAS' Averoigne, which can be considered a D&D micro-setting.

GP

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 pm

agathokles wrote:Castle Amber does have a portion set in CAS' Averoigne, which can be considered a D&D micro-setting.

GP
Correct. I was in a hurry this morning so I didn't really go into detail. Since the Castle is kind of outside or regular time and/or space, at one point the PC's have to explore Averoigne to find the missing items needed to return home. Has a mini-map of it, some brief descriptions, etc. There is actually A LOT in Castle Amber. So it starts you in Glantri and off to other planes it sends you.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Noxxon wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:T.H. Lain's novels belong to the 3e era.

How about Jakandor? Or the sample cities in I, Tyrant and The Illithiad?

The province of Andevar from Destiny of Kings.

The Kingdom of Pellham from C4 and C5.

Ravenloft, from the original module before it was its own campaign setting.

Haranshire, from Night Below (incorporated into Greyhawk on the Living Yeomanry map, but the boxed set suggests Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or Mystara ).

Stormport, the default city for College of Wizardry, Den of Thieves, and Bastion of Faith.

The barony of Honshar from The Silver Key.

Slaughtergarde, from The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde. A 3e-era adventure with suggestions for inclusion in Forgotten Realms and Eberron; eventually included on the 4e Nerath map.

Kellinon from Well of Worlds.
I am not so sure that the setting presented in Bastion of Faith, Den of Thieves and College of Wizardry could be counted as a Micro-Setting.

The Demi-God Dargeshaad, mentioned in College of Wizardry and Reverse Dungeon, created the set of artifacts known as the Cursed Rending Hooks of Dargeshaad. Yes, it is possible that Acererak got these items while world hopping, before or after becoming a Lich. However, that does not explain how Academician Drake found his way into the vast swamp and Skull city.

Academician Drake is mentioned in College of Wizardry. He was even a teacher there before being removed, by force for, practicing Necromany. There is even an adventure in College of Wizardry dealing with some of the ...'stuff'... that he had to leave behind.

Also, the 3 Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad modules are based in Stormport as well. The first 2 anyways, the third takes place off-planet.

And just for fun, the following are also linked to Stormport:

Enemies and Allies: The mercenary band of adventurers, Band of the Hand, are based out of Stormport.

Dungeon Builders Guidebook: Stormport is used as an example seaside location. The information presented there links to...

The 3 Monstrous Arcana - The Sea Devils modules.
Wow! I didn't realise that these things tied in with the TH Lain stuff.

I was asking about it before, because I thought it might be part of Greyhawk. But people didn't think the connection was very good (just a GH-lite thing from the 3e era). Is there any hint of a Greyhawk connection in any of the other Stormport products?

Being able to nail down The Illithiad to starting on Oerth would be...awesome. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:I was asking about it before, because I thought it might be part of Greyhawk. But people didn't think the connection was very good (just a GH-lite thing from the 3e era). Is there any hint of a Greyhawk connection in any of the other Stormport products?
During the 2e era, Bruce Cordell included easter eggs that linked pretty much everything he wrote. I've seen the resulting gestalt referred to as the "Cordelloverse." It's not really a single coherent setting, since some of these things took place specifically in Greyhawk (Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Return to White Plume Mountain, Die Vecna Die!, Bastion of Faith, arguably The Shattered Circle since it mentions the Suloise) and some of it seemed to take place on some other, unnamed world (College of Wizardry, the sahuagin trilogy, the illithid trilogy, Gates of Firestorm Peak), yet they were all interconnected as if they took place on the same world.

For example, in Return to White Plume Mountain the player characters discover the bodies of some duergar bearing a message to Keraptis from Naentoth. Naentoth is the chief duergar cleric in Gates of Firestorm Peak. Their letter also mentions Selvandel, the former chief of the Firestorm Peak duergar. You could argue that this means Gates of Firestorm Peak must take place on Oerth, somewhere fairly close to White Plume Mountain (and it's probable that the duergar are visiting Keraptis in order to gain his help in dealing from the fallout of the other module).

However, Gates of Firestorm Peak says it takes place near the village of Longbridge in "the Shirelands," in "the southern foothills of the Mountains of Frost," and none of those things are known Greyhawk locations. Theoretically, you could call the Griff Mountains the Mountains of Frost, since they border the land of the Frost Barbarians. The Shirelands would then be the Duchy of Tenh. But reading the module literally, it takes place in lands that aren't canonically part of Oerth. As Noxxon said, the Shirelands appear on the map in Masters of Eternal Night as a region south of Stormport, and that map doesn't look anything like a known part of Oerth (certainly not Tenh).

Gates of Firestorm Peak also references "the lost realm of Olefin" as the location of the largest city of the Elder Elves millennia ago. "The Lost Realm of Olefin" is on the treasure map in Night of the Shark, located between the Night Ocean and the Sea of Mists (neither of which are canonical Greyhawk locations; however, there is a mist kingdom in the sea south of the Amedio Jungle and a Midnight Sea in Nerath). That treasure map also mentions of land of Nuria, though, which (probably coincidentally) was described as an ancient Flan land in Dragon #293, a land that traded with the citadel of Veralos in the era before the Great Migrations. Olefin is also mentioned in The Illithiad (p. 37), which name-drops the Olefin Temporal Society, a group of time-travelers addressed 400 years ago by the sorcerer Eno Hawkin (since they're time travelers, the date doesn't necessarily mean much). A transcript of the address was recovered from "the Library of Olefin centuries after it burned." The Elder Elves, who created the Vast Gate in Firestorm Peak, were also responsible for the imprisonment of the god Anguileusis in Sea of Blood (and thus, inadvertently, the creation of the sahuagin race). The origin of the sahuagin is possibly associated with the Sinking Isle in the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover, so one could say that the Sinking Isle is the same place as Olefin, but the Olefin that appears in the Night of the Shark treasure map doesn't look like it could fit where the Sinking Isle is (in the Bay of Gates between the Sea Barons and the mainland). You'd have to do some fudging.

Reverse Dungeon, as Noxxon said, name-drops the demigod Dargeshaad from College of Wizardry. However, it also mentions Kahabros as "Dargeshaad's evil lieutenant." Kahabros is described in much more detail in Bastion of Faith, except in that book Kahabros is a servant of Hextor, not Dargeshaad, suggesting that the references to Hextor in that book originally, in some earlier draft, referred to Dargeshaad instead. Perhaps, then, all references to Dargeshaad on Oerth (in Return to the Tomb of Horrors) should be replaced with Hextor, and the goddess Immotion (from College of Wizardry) may have been relabeled as Heironeous when Bastion of Faith was rewritten to take place on Oerth.

Evil Tide includes a trident artifact called Surge and calls it twin to the artifact Wave, which is detailed in Return to White Plume Mountain (and the original White Plume Mountain). Surge and Wave were forged by the same weaponsmith.

Dungeon Builder's Guidebook details the Abyssal layer of the balor Tarnhem, who appears in Return to the Tomb of Horrors as Acererak's father.
Wow! I didn't realise that these things tied in with the TH Lain stuff.
It's possible that Oath of Nerull (by Bruce Cordell, writing as T.H. Lain) has some kind of reference to the Cordelloverse (I don't know, I haven't read it), but nothing in this thread suggests that. Dragon #299 has an article by Bruce Cordell on monks of Nerull drawn from this novel; I don't see any references to Greyhawk or to other books and modules by Bruce Cordell there. The article does mention a city called Shantara, which I think was invented for the novel.

Havard mentioned the T.H. Lain novels originally, but I think linked them to the 2e or 4e eras. I mentioned them only to point out they were published during the 3e era. Noxxon didn't mention them at all; they only appear in that post because they're part of my block quote.

But for what it's worth, Dragon #303 has a short story, "Prying Eyes," apparently set within the T.H. Lain continuity (it's credited to Johnny L. Wilson "from a story idea by T.H. Lain" and functions as a prequel to The Bloody Eye by T.H. Lain) and it mentions a canonical Greyhawk NPC, King Ingemar of the Snow Barbarians. In addition, " Provincial Prior Cause" (by Johnny L. Wilson) in Dungeon #96 serves as a prequel to The Bloody Eye, and it's explicitly set in Ratik (in the World of Greyhawk), and also mentions King Ingemar.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Richard Baker is blogging about all twenty eight RPG adventures he has written in his career, one per week, and he just covered HHQ4 Cleric's Challenge.

http://richard-baker.blogspot.com/2015/ ... art-4.html

And he explicitly calls it out as a homage to CAS Averoigne...

In fact, many of the place names and character names are deliberately French-looking or –sounding, just to help the mini-setting hang together and feel distinctive and coherent. One thing you might not know about Pommeville and its French touches: It’s also an homage to Clark Ashton Smith’s Averoigne stories...I’ve been a fan of Clark Ashton Smith since my college days, and every now and then I find a way to sneak some Smith-inspired material into my work

Return to “Other Worlds”