[Hesiod] Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Hesiod] Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod

Post by Big Mac »

Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod is a free downloadable adventure from Wizards of the Coast. It is aimed at kids, so uses simplified rules.

It ties in with the novel Monster Slayers (which is set in Hesoid) and the non-gaming book A Practical Guide to Monsters (which seems to be used an in-character book in the novel Monster Slayers - here is A Practical Guide to Monsters as a wondrous item). There is also a short story called Training Day which seems to be the same story as the adventure The Heroes of Hesoid.

I did not see any campaign setting information in the adventure, and have not had the time to read Training Day yet.

Does anyone know if these books (and maybe the other Practical Guides books, tie together with an existing campaign setting (or if they add up to their own campaign setting)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Hesiod] Monster Slayers: The Heroes of Hesiod

Post by Havard »

Perhaps due to the reference of Hesiod in the title, I thought that this setting was supposed to be more linked to Greek mythology. However, brief scan through the free download suggests that this is not the case. Monsters include Bulette, Beholder, Pixie Swam and Red Dragon. The Chimera on the cover is not included in the game as far as I can tell.

There's not really any setting info in the download, but perhaps the novel has more?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:Perhaps due to the reference of Hesiod in the title, I thought that this setting was supposed to be more linked to Greek mythology. However, brief scan through the free download suggests that this is not the case. Monsters include Bulette, Beholder, Pixie Swam and Red Dragon. The Chimera on the cover is not included in the game as far as I can tell.
I didn't know that Hesiod was Greek, until you mentioned it. He seems like an interesting guy, inventing early economics as well as having stuff to do with astrology or time.

I thought this was going to be a town, but a town named after the Greek Hesiod sounds right.

I think they took the cover from Monster Slayers and slapped it on all the associate things.
Havard wrote:There's not really any setting info in the download, but perhaps the novel has more?
Maybe. If I ever buy the novel, I'll bump this thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 am
Havard wrote:There's not really any setting info in the download, but perhaps the novel has more?
Maybe. If I ever buy the novel, I'll bump this thread.
I found a summary of the novel here:
Goodreads wrote: Monster Slayers
(Monster Slayers #1)
by Lukas Ritter, Jeff Sampson (Goodreads Author)

When vicious, dog-headed gnolls kidnap everyone living in the small village of Hesiod, only Evin and his fighter friend Jorick manage to escape. With help from an ancient guidebook of magical beasts called A Practical Guide to Monsters, the two boys and a new friend--elf wizard Betilivatis--must trek through ancient ruins and face one menacing monster after another in order save their families.

But Evin soon realizes that not everything is as it seems. Someone--or something--has taken leadership of the gnolls and has dangerous plans for the kidnapped villagers. Betilivatis often disappears mysteriously and has strange conversations with someone only she can see. And Evin is having unusual dreams of a place he's never been, a place that feels more and more real with each passing day.

The pace never falters in this page-turning adventure, as Evin, Jorick, and Betilivatis bravely battle gnolls, a chimera, an ormyrr, and a lich, and it ends with a shocking twist that will make readers want to start the story all over again. (less)
I see several of the reviews further down on the goodread page I linked above compare it to the Hunger Games. Possibly due to it featuring young protagonists witnessing harsh brutalities and apparently dealing fairly brutal violence on not just monsters, but also equally young villains. At least one commenter felt that the novel's graphic depiciton of violence made it inappropriate for very young children that this book does appear to be marketed towards, but its hard to judge that statement without having read the book.

At least the Chimera is in the novel, which probably explains why it was on the cover of the RPG module.

I wonder what an Ormyrr is?

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Havard wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:11 pm
Responding to my own question... :D

Ripvanwormer answered this question in this thread about the Practical Guide series which is linked to the Hesiod books.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Interesting that they seemingly dabbled in Greek-theming of D&D before, given that the Hellenistic Magic: the Gathering world of Theros has just been added to the D&D multiverse along with Ravnica.
Havard wrote:
Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 pm
Ripvanwormer answered this question
Well I'll do the same....

Big blue froggy-looking worm-things, who can't ever cast spells but are fascinated with wands and staves and such. They're described in one of the 3E Monster Manuals, but the fact that there was also a Dragon Die made of one back when TSR owned that IP makes me strongly presume that they're a classic D&D monster, rather than something specifically made up by Wotco after they bought the game.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:55 pm
Interesting that they seemingly dabbled in Greek-theming of D&D before, given that the Hellenistic Magic: the Gathering world of Theros has just been added to the D&D multiverse along with Ravnica.
Indeed, that is what renewed my interest in this Hesiod thing. However, it seems like there isn't as much of a Greek influence on Hesiod except for the Greek sounding name of that village.
Havard wrote:
Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 pm
Ripvanwormer answered this question
Well I'll do the same....

Big blue froggy-looking worm-things, who can't ever cast spells but are fascinated with wands and staves and such. They're described in one of the 3E Monster Manuals, but the fact that there was also a Dragon Die made of one back when TSR owned that IP makes me strongly presume that they're a classic D&D monster, rather than something specifically made up by Wotco after they bought the game.
Thanks for providing the description! It is very interesting that there was a Dragon Die based on it. The books Ripvanwormer mentioned are for AD&D 2nd ed, so the monster does indeed predate WotC's acquiring of D&D. :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Interestingly, WotC is once again promoting Heroes of Hesiod as part of their ongoing support for younger D&D fans. I wonder if they will contact the designers to create follow-up products for this line?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”