[Elric] Anyone play in Melniboné?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Elric] Anyone play in Melniboné?

Post by Havard »

Elric and the Lands of Melniboné first appeared in RPG form in Original D&D's Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (TSR, 1976). This information was also included and expanded in the 1981 version of Deities and Demigods for AD&D 1st Edition. In later versions it had to be removed due to copyright issues.

Elric's World has later appeared in various BRP rpgs, both by Chaosium and Mongoose.

Here's a list of all the Elric and Eternal Champions RPGs.

Anyone use the Elric mythology or setting in any system? What are your experiences?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Re: [Elric] Anyone play in Melniboné?

Post by Justinov »

Havard wrote:Image

Elric and the Lands of Melniboné first appeared in RPG form in Original D&D's Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (TSR, 1976). This information was also included and expanded in the 1981 version of Deities and Demigods for AD&D 1st Edition. In later versions it had to be removed due to copyright issues.

Elric's World has later appeared in various BRP rpgs, both by Chaosium and Mongoose.

Anyone use the Elric mythology or setting in any system? What are your experiences?

-Havard
I actually own them both but never got time to play them.
Read the books though.
I just thought that a world so much focused on one character, it would be hard to make meaningful adventures in the setting.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Don't forget that blackrazor from White Plume Mountain was inspired by Elric's sword...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Ah yes, one of my favourite campaigns, and games. I have Stormbringer 4th edition, Elric! and the RuneQuest II Elric.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Justinov wrote:I actually own them both but never got time to play them.
Read the books though.
I just thought that a world so much focused on one character, it would be hard to make meaningful adventures in the setting.
From what I remember the various RPGs dealing with this setting allow players to explore Chaos and Law and eventually become Champions of their own right aligned with one of these or attempting to preserve some balance between those forces.

I came across a campaign log for Melniboné here. The GM of that campaign is MRQII author Lawrence Whittaker.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:Elric's World has later appeared in various BRP rpgs, both by Chaosium and Mongoose.
Are the Chaosium and Mongoose products part of the same product line, or is that two different RPG systems you are talking about? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Elric's World has later appeared in various BRP rpgs, both by Chaosium and Mongoose.
Are the Chaosium and Mongoose products part of the same product line, or is that two different RPG systems you are talking about? :?
No, Mongoose published Elric for their RuneQuest RPG.
Chaosium had various Elric related RPGs, all of which were variants of BRP. RuneQuest is also based on BRP, but is a different variant than the ones used by Chaosium for this setting, though I am sure there is some room for using material between the lines.

In addition there was a d20 Elric RPG and the OD&D material from Supplement IV as well as AD&D 1st Edition's Deities & Demigods, all outside the BRP family.

So all in all, quite a wide range of options if you want to play in the world of Elric.

Edit: Here's a list of Elric RPGs.

In addition to all of this, you could have mashups between the Elric and Conan RPGs as well!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri »

I played Stormbringer back in the last millennium. Not since as far as I remember. But I drafted a clone including inspirations from Stormbringer and COC 2nd edition. I don't know I will release it.

The French edition of Stormbringer had beautiful original art. I think it was included in later us editions.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

snorri wrote: The French edition of Stormbringer had beautiful original art. I think it was included in later us editions.
It also included bits from later supplements; for example, the Sanity rules.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
No, Mongoose published Elric for their RuneQuest RPG.
Chaosium had various Elric related RPGs, all of which were variants of BRP. RuneQuest is also based on BRP, but is a different variant than the ones used by Chaosium for this setting, though I am sure there is some room for using material between the lines.

In addition there was a d20 Elric RPG and the OD&D material from Supplement IV as well as AD&D 1st Edition's Deities & Demigods, all outside the BRP family.

So all in all, quite a wide range of options if you want to play in the world of Elric.

Edit: Here's a list of Elric RPGs.

In addition to all of this, you could have mashups between the Elric and Conan RPGs as well!

-Havard
The D20 version (Dragon Lords of Melnibone) is by Chaosium and was a conversion of Elric! with some flaws. For example, binding a demon in one of the BRP variants costs POW, which is easy to recover. Binding a demon in DLoM costs one or more permanent stat points, which is not so easy to do without. It also costs experience, which I have less of a problem with, but it's still more punitive than Elric!, which needed Power Points that regenerate daily. It also has stat adjustments of +1/-1 for some races, which is a bad idea. They're fairly easy to fix (have the stat damage be temporary instead of permanent, change all the +1/-1 to +2/-2), but the conversion was sloppy.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

The Dark wrote:The D20 version (Dragon Lords of Melnibone) is by Chaosium and was a conversion of Elric! with some flaws. For example, binding a demon in one of the BRP variants costs POW, which is easy to recover. Binding a demon in DLoM costs one or more permanent stat points, which is not so easy to do without. It also costs experience, which I have less of a problem with, but it's still more punitive than Elric!, which needed Power Points that regenerate daily. It also has stat adjustments of +1/-1 for some races, which is a bad idea. They're fairly easy to fix (have the stat damage be temporary instead of permanent, change all the +1/-1 to +2/-2), but the conversion was sloppy.
It is disappointing that the conversion was so sloppy, but those are some great suggestions for fixes! Thanks! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”