[DragonQuest] Did DragonQuest have a setting?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[DragonQuest] Did DragonQuest have a setting?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:28 pm

I recently learned about a RPG called DragonQuest (not to be confused with the boardgame called Dragon Quest, which is apparantly set in Thunder Rift). According to RPG.Net's DragonQuest article, this RPG was originally published by SPI and then taken over by TSR. RPG.net's article has a View DragonQuest - Setting Info link, but the page just says "There is no info on DragonQuest. [ Add It! ]". :(

But back to where I cane in. One of my friends told me they had just found DQ1 The Shattered Statue.

It looks like that might have been some sort of attempt to convert DragonQuest over into AD&D (like they tried with Mystara). One thing that confuses me is that the Amazon.com page suggests the adventure can be used with Forgotten Realms (rather than AD&D). So what I am wondering is: was there a campaign setting for DragonQuest and did TSR fold that campaign setting into an area of the planet Toril?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Re: [DragonQuest] Did DragonQuest have a setting?

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Yes! It was called "Frontiers of Alusia", and it was not at all too shabby!

http://portalkeepersofgrayrock.com/Alusia/Alusiamap.htm

The modules, IIRC, are not set within the area covered on the map, though.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:22 pm

How many products were released for DragonQuest (Not counting the boardgame and its associated products)?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:21 pm

According to RPG.net

DragonQuest 1

Arena of Death --- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1980 Box)
The Blade of Allectus --- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1980 )
DragonQuest --- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1980 Box)
The Enchanted Wood --- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1981 )
Frontiers of Alusia --- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1981 )
The Palace of Ontoncle ---- SPI: DragonQuest 1 (1980 )

DragonQuest 2

DQ1: The Shattered Statue ---TSR: DragonQuest 2 (1987 )
DragonQuest ---- SPI: DragonQuest 2 (1982 )
------------------- SPI: DragonQuest 2 (1982 Box)
Heroes and Villians --- Judges Guild: DragonQuest 2 (1982 )
Magebird Quest --- Judges Guild: DragonQuest 2 (1982 )
Starsilver Trek --- Judges Guild: DragonQuest 2 (1982 )

DragonQuest 3

DragonQuest --- TSR: DragonQuest 3 (1989 )

Related Articles

DragonQuest

The Abduction --- Adventure : DragonQuest 2 --- RPG Review #1
The Angels --- Background: Group : DragonQuest 2 --- Different Worlds #28
The College of Waite Magicke --- Background: Group : DragonQuest 2 --- Adventure Gaming #13
DragonQuest Damage Spells --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Fantasy Gamer #2
Enhancing the enchanter --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #82
For a Fuller Background --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #97
Game Master --- Rules Q&A : DragonQuest 1 --- The Space Gamer #39
Getting In Over Your Head --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #96
Getting up and getting wet --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #92
Interview with the Seagate Adventurer's Guild --- Information: AP : DragonQuest 2 --- RPG Review #1
Learn magic by the month --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #89
The thrill of the hunt --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 --- Dragon #78
Travel & threads for DragonQuest --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 1 --- Dragon #49
The Versatile Magician --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 1 --- Dragon #57
The Warrior Alternative --- Other Rules : DragonQuest 2 ---- Dragon #86[*]
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Big Mac wrote: It looks like that might have been some sort of attempt to convert DragonQuest over into AD&D (like they tried with Mystara). One thing that confuses me is that the Amazon.com page suggests the adventure can be used with Forgotten Realms (rather than AD&D). So what I am wondering is: was there a campaign setting for DragonQuest and did TSR fold that campaign setting into an area of the planet Toril?
The adventure is set in the Realms and works as a dual system module if I remember correctly. It has some interesting elements, such as the runesticks, but it is a bit out of place with the "canon" Realms. But then again, so do a lot from the Savage Frontier which I have heard incorporated a lot from The Enchanted Wood (I don't own that module, as it is a bit to expensive to get just to check).

I seem to have heard Janelle Jaquays mention (on Save or Die) that she had absolutely no knowledge of the Dragonquest rules when she wrote for the setting, so Ad&d might have played a bit in the background anyway.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Ahhhh What a great game! (at least from memory). I played a few sessions when it came out in the 80s.
It was very different. No classes, used 100% and skills instead.
But our group voted to go back to D&D after a few trial games. We never saw that DM after that... he preferred DQ.

More info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonQuest
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Yes! It was called "Frontiers of Alusia", and it was not at all too shabby!

http://portalkeepersofgrayrock.com/Alusia/Alusiamap.htm

The modules, IIRC, are not set within the area covered on the map, though.
Thanks. I found a page on a DQ wiki, called Lands of Alusia that seems to give a lot of details about the campaign setting. (When I went looking by myself, I couldn't tell what was homebrew and what was a canon campaign setting.)
Jorkens wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It looks like that might have been some sort of attempt to convert DragonQuest over into AD&D (like they tried with Mystara). One thing that confuses me is that the Amazon.com page suggests the adventure can be used with Forgotten Realms (rather than AD&D). So what I am wondering is: was there a campaign setting for DragonQuest and did TSR fold that campaign setting into an area of the planet Toril?
The adventure is set in the Realms and works as a dual system module if I remember correctly. It has some interesting elements, such as the runesticks, but it is a bit out of place with the "canon" Realms. But then again, so do a lot from the Savage Frontier which I have heard incorporated a lot from The Enchanted Wood (I don't own that module, as it is a bit to expensive to get just to check).

I seem to have heard Janelle Jaquays mention (on Save or Die) that she had absolutely no knowledge of the Dragonquest rules when she wrote for the setting, so Ad&d might have played a bit in the background anyway.
Thanks.

The situation with DQ1 The Shattered Statue is looking more complicated. According to The Acaeum, The Shattered Statue was originally supposed to be a conversion (to AD&D?) of The Enchanted Wood, but then TSR asked Jennell Jaquays to turn it into something else. After that, Jennell apparantly kept some of the characters from the original adventure and moved it to Forgotten Realms. So it does look that some elements of the Savage Frontier area are raided from the Frontiers of Alusia. But I'm not sure the entire setting was absorbed. :?

Technically TSR owned "Frontiers of Alusia", so they were entitled to raid it for FR ideas, but I'm trying to work out what is going on here. Would it be worth buying "Frontiers of Alusia" adventures to run them in the Savage Frontier?
Boneguard wrote:According to RPG.net
Bah! Why couldn't I get that lot to come up when I searched. :(

Thanks for all the information.

Do you know if all of those products used the "Frontiers of Alusia" setting or if Judges Guild did something like use the DQ rules with their own Wilderlands setting?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Be VERY careful when answering BigMac about how much setting there is...before you know it, he'll rope you into a "Dragonquestspace" for Spelljammer...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:06 am

night_druid wrote:Be VERY careful when answering BigMac about how much setting there is...before you know it, he'll rope you into a "Dragonquestspace" for Spelljammer...;)
Moi? :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 pm

I've had a couple of really useful links sent to me (from Paul E.L.) via Faceborg: And Frank Mentzer said that he prefers 2nd Edition DragonQuest to the 1st Edition, because it has a lot of nice fixes. (So if you are going to hunt this down for the rules, you might want to go for the 2e version.)

The Rules of Lia page for DragonQuest could be useful if we ever want to have an "Other DragonQuest Links" sticky at The Piazza, but the first one is great for seeing the product line (it is pretty much what Boneguard posted, but with pretty pictures of the covers).

Sorting things into order, it seems that SPI created DragonQuest in 1980, updated it to 2nd Edition in 1981, licensed it to Judges Guild in 1982 and then the franchise sat dormant until 1987 (when DQ1 The Shattered Statue was published) and tailed off in 1989 with TSR's 3rd Edition.

I know that SPI used "Frontiers of Alusia". The map didn't come out until 1981, so I'm not sure if the 1980 products were retconned into "Frontiers of Alusia".

I also know that DQ1 The Shattered Statue did not use "Frontiers of Alusia".

The descriptions from Wayne's Books for two of the three Judges Guild products mention "Frontiers of Alusia". I'm guessing they probably created their products in unused areas of the map.

So the biggest mystery is the 3rd Edition DragonQuest (from TSR). Did that stick with Forgotten Realms or return to "Frontiers of Alusia"? And did TSR ever give any guildlines for retconning DQ1 The Shattered Statue back into the DragonQuest campaign setting?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Havard wrote:How many products were released for DragonQuest (Not counting the boardgame and its associated products)?
As I said in my first post, I believe that that the "Dragon Quest" board game (which you wrote about) has no connection with the "DragonQuest" RPG. (Note that the board game has a space in the name and the RPG does not.)

There also seems to be a third game (a video game called Dragon Quest) which I think is not related to either of the other games. It is one of the reasons I was having problems looking for information on this. The search results are flooded with false-positives. :|

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I picked up the 3rd edition of thebook a couple weeks ago. I've only browsed through it but it's definitely a unique system for the times it was published in. There isn't hardly any setting to the book. Only what is in the adventure at the end of the book.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Knightfall wrote:I picked up the 3rd edition of thebook a couple weeks ago. I've only browsed through it but it's definitely a unique system for the times it was published in. There isn't hardly any setting to the book. Only what is in the adventure at the end of the book.
Thanks for that. It's good to know. :)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 pm

William A. Barton reviewed Frontiers of Alusia in The Space Gamer No. 42.[1] Barton commented that "Frontiers of Alusia looks to be a handy playing aid for nearly any FRPG and should prove particularly useful to DragonQuest players looking for a setting for their campaign."[1]

Rolled a 20 on my Google Fu skill check : Space Ganer #42 review of Alusia :
https://archive.org/stream/space-gamer_ ... 7/mode/2up

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 pm

...What I just stumbled upon is the default setting: the Frontiers of Alusia. And I must say that I'm digging it. You get an ~125,000 sm setting, with lots of geographic detail but virtually no settlements. A small barony on the coast and a smaller fief inland. It's not very medieval in that way; rather, it seems to be channeling the idea of the American frontier: people move from the civilized North into the frontiers in search of whatever they are in search of. You kinda know what's there, but not really. Things have names on the maps, but no one has really ever explored them. Plus, the entire gazetteer is 4 pages long. That's it. For someone like me, that's gold!

The content of this accessory speaks almost of itself. The Alusia Border Guide (4 pages) describes in 3 columns and in one paragraph the different specific places of the map by indicating the type of terrain, the level of danger, the frequency and the chances of making a meeting, as well as a modifier for the dating table. Follows a description of the place of some lines. The big map is that of the border area of ​​Alusia. An excerpt can be seen on the cover of the book. The hexagonal checkerboard is numbered on the edges of the card. The legend of the map is on the back of the cover. In the interior shutters, we discover an introduction to the book, how to use this accessory, what must be visible or not to the players on the map and an explanation on the use of the table of dangers present on the 3rd cover. Finally a last section describes on a little more than one column the global region.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Geography of the Frontiers of Alusia :
https://dqmusings.blogspot.ca/2017/02/g ... lusia.html

Return to “Other Worlds”