Dawnforge (Fantasy Flight Games)

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Dawnforge (Fantasy Flight Games)

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Looking at this old thread I found a mention of Fantasy Flight's Dawnforge Setting:
BPIJonathan wrote:Ooh, this is a hard one.

I like Midnight, Freeport, Dragonstar and Dawnforge in about equal doses.
IIRC Dawnforge was one of the contestants of the WotC Setting competition that Eberron won, right? I think I actually have that setting book lying around somewhere. Looks like FFG are still promoting the setting line on their website.

Are there any other fans of the Dawnforge Setting here? If so, what do you consider the biggest draws of the setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Dawnforge (Fantasy Flight Games)

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:10 pm

I see two versions of this on Amazon (both with different covers to the one you found):

First I saw Dawnforge: Crucible of Legend (which was selling for $4.99 + shipping in the US):

Then I saw Dawnforge: Crucible of Legends - Essential Collection (a bundle deal with that book merged with two others for $71.16 + shipping in the US)

I'm not sure if the Essential Collection version has anything else (like errata or Web Enhancements) added to it, but it is a bit too pricey for my taste.

It looks like the two other books, mentioned in Essential Collection, are the only supplements that ever got published. I wonder why they didn't do more. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Even though it says that the Essential Collection is a hardcover, I think it might actually be a boxed set (slip cover set?). FFG did an Essential Collection for Dragonstar that was also a slip cover boxed set. I'm 99% sure I actually actually saw it. I also know that Midnight had a true boxed set, but it was a campaign box, I believe.

The Dawnforge EC set will likely be the three books put out by FFG (one hardcover and two softcovers). Dawnforge was one of the finalists that lost out to Eberron as part of the WotC setting search. I had never seen the 1st edition covers before now. I've only seen the covers with the yellow borders.

Dawnforge: Crucible of Legend: I did own this book at one point, but I never got into the setting. BTW, the setting is v.3.5 not v.3.0.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Knightfall wrote:Even though it says that the Essential Collection is a hardcover, I think it might actually be a boxed set (slip cover set?). FFG did an Essential Collection for Dragonstar that was also a slip cover boxed set. I'm 99% sure I actually actually saw it. I also know that Midnight had a true boxed set, but it was a campaign box, I believe.

The Dawnforge EC set will likely be the three books put out by FFG (one hardcover and two softcovers). Dawnforge was one of the finalists that lost out to Eberron as part of the WotC setting search. I had never seen the 1st edition covers before now. I've only seen the covers with the yellow borders.
You might be right there. I'm having trouble confirming that online, as I can not find a review of the "Essential Collection", but someone by the name of Elvish Lore said something similar in an old Dawnforge thread over at RPG.net:
Elvish Lore at RPG.net wrote:I finally purchased their Essential Collections product -- a bundle of Dawnforge and its 2 supplements -- and I'm extremely impressed.
Bundle does seem to imply to me that the previous (unsold) products were stuck into a box and sold as a collection, but it could technically also be something new. I've got a Thieves' World bundle from Green Ronin and that is the same sort of thing you describe for Dragonstar (a boxed set with hardback and softback books in it).

I also found a link to a dead page on the Fantasy Flight Games website (which the Wayback Machine had an archived copy of): Dawnforge: The Essential Collection
Dawnforge: The Essential Collection at the Fantasy Flight Games website (archived by The Wayback Machine wrote:Dawnforge: The Essential Collection

The complete legend!

Dawnforge: The Complete Collection collects all three of the Dawnforge books, Dawnforge: Crucible of Legend, Age of Legend, and Path of Legend, for one low price!

Dawnforge: The Complete Collection
DF04
$39.95
That also feels like DF01, DF02 and DF03 have been put into a slip cover. I guess that it would make sense to look for them all separately to see if the second hand market has them cheaper on their own.
Knightfall wrote:Dawnforge: Crucible of Legend: I did own this book at one point, but I never got into the setting. BTW, the setting is v.3.5 not v.3.0.
I guess it would be if this was one of the runners up in the WotC contest that Eberron won. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:59 pm

I did some more digging and have created an Other Dawnforge Websites (& Free Downloads) master thread, with the links I have found.

It seems that there was a pretty good fansite called Paths of Legends, which even had its own forums, but the Wayback Machine didn't manage to grab any of its downloads and the site fell off of the Internet. There was also a fan on Geocities who put something up (that has fallen off of the Internet too). A Yahoo Group was mentioned, but I've not found that yet. (If I do find anything else, I'll stick it in that thread, rather than derail the conversation here).

But there are some pretty good freebies that are still available. They should help you work out if you want to buy second-hand copies of what is essentially an abandoned campaign setting.

I wonder if the creator of Dawnforge is still playing in the world. Perhaps, if they could reconnect with the fanbase, this might come back as a Kickstarter campaign one day.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Even though it says that the Essential Collection is a hardcover, I think it might actually be a boxed set (slip cover set?). FFG did an Essential Collection for Dragonstar that was also a slip cover boxed set. I'm 99% sure I actually actually saw it. I also know that Midnight had a true boxed set, but it was a campaign box, I believe.

You might be right there. I'm having trouble confirming that online, as I can not find a review of the "Essential Collection", but someone by the name of Elvish Lore said something similar in an old Dawnforge thread over at RPG.net:
Elvish Lore at RPG.net wrote:I finally purchased their Essential Collections product -- a bundle of Dawnforge and its 2 supplements -- and I'm extremely impressed.
I just got contacted privately by Akahdrin. He confirmed your theory, Knightfall. DF03 is a slipcase product. So it seems like there is no point paying a ton of money for it if DF01, DF02 and DF03 are cheaper to get on their own.

Akahdrin also pointed me at one of the maps from his game, so I added it to the Other Dawnforge Websites (& Free Downloads) thread. But I don't know anything about the setting yet, so I'm not sure where the building is. It seems like Akahdrin is an expert on the campaign setting, so I'm hoping he will post some more details about it. It really needs its own thread.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if the creator of Dawnforge is still playing in the world. Perhaps, if they could reconnect with the fanbase, this might come back as a Kickstarter campaign one day.
While I'm not 100% sure, I think this might be the author's personal website: http://www.eldernost.com/index.html

Either that or there are two authors interested in fantasy named Greg Benage. It is possible. I've noticed that the author's Amazon page doesn't link to the RPG books.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if the creator of Dawnforge is still playing in the world. Perhaps, if they could reconnect with the fanbase, this might come back as a Kickstarter campaign one day.
While I'm not 100% sure, I think this might be the author's personal website: http://www.eldernost.com/index.html

Either that or there are two authors interested in fantasy named Greg Benage. It is possible. I've noticed that the author's Amazon page doesn't link to the RPG books.
The cartography of the Eldernost map (by Tom Fayen) looks fairly similar to the Dawnforge map. Does anyone know of Tom Fayen created the Dawnforge map?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

The cartography of the Eldernost map (by Tom Fayen) looks fairly similar to the Dawnforge map. Does anyone know of Tom Fayen created the Dawnforge map?
Greg replied to me on Twitter to confirm that he is indeed that Greg Benage.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Nice.

It sounds like he is more focused on the Eldernost novels for now, so would probably do a Kickstarter for that, rather than for Dawnforge, but could you find out if he owns the rights to Dawnforge?

And do let him know he would be very welcome to come over and chat to use at The Piazza. :D

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:49 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Nice.

It sounds like he is more focused on the Eldernost novels for now, so would probably do a Kickstarter for that, rather than for Dawnforge, but could you find out if he owns the rights to Dawnforge?

And do let him know he would be very welcome to come over and chat to use at The Piazza. :D
Since FFG still sells Dawnforge as PDFs, I doubt he owns the setting. Matt Forbeck also helped write a lot for the world.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:I see two versions of this on Amazon (both with different covers to the one you found):
The one I have is the one from my initial post. I wonder if that may have been the 3.0 version? (Not at home right now so I can't check).
I wonder why they didn't do more. :?
The market for fairly standard fantasy settings is probably quite tough. Still, it is cool to see that FFC are still selling it. Perhaps a new version for Pathfinder or 5E (if possible) could help rejuvinate the setting. As you say, a kickstarter would be awesome :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I see two versions of this on Amazon (both with different covers to the one you found):
The one I have is the one from my initial post. I wonder if that may have been the 3.0 version? (Not at home right now so I can't check).
One of the covers I posted was DF04 (a compilation) so we can discount that one. It still leaves us with a mystery. I get the impression that DF04 was a bundle to get rid of old stock, but I suppose they could have done alternative covers and reprinted the books. :?

Do you have the other two Dawnforge books?
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder why they didn't do more. :?
The market for fairly standard fantasy settings is probably quite tough. Still, it is cool to see that FFC are still selling it. Perhaps a new version for Pathfinder or 5E (if possible) could help rejuvinate the setting. As you say, a kickstarter would be awesome :)
Something didn't capture the public imagination. (Even the guy who ran Paths of Legends seems to have thrown in the towel. ;( ) But there must have been something to Dawnforge if it nearly beat Eberron in the campaign setting search contest.

I hear the elevator pitch is that it is a world that has only just been created...so there are no legends yet. I think the PCs get to decide the direction the world is going to go into.

I'm not sure if that means the PCs might have access to epic magic (like the Arcane Age subsetting of Forgotten Realms). There must be some sort of mechanical-stuff to go with the concept of a world that has just been created. :?

Greg Benage
Kobold

Post by Greg Benage » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:43 pm

It's cool to see people are still interested in Dawnforge. As Knightfall suggested, FFG owns the rights to the property. I haven't been with the company since 2006 and have no knowledge of their product plans. FFG seems to be focusing on their licensed RPGs and I'd be very surprised if they did anything with Dawnforge.

The setting attempted to support a "mythic age" style of campaign, and from a rules perspective, there were a lot of mechanics designed to create truly legendary characters. There were racial talents you gained by level that manifested new abilities of your race (e.g. damage reduction for orcs, immortality for elves, fey abilities for gnomes, size for giants) and legendary paths you could progress along by completing heroic quests, eventually leading to uber prestige classes called (shocker) legendary classes. Essentially, instead of "epic levels," the concept was to support epic play from 1-20, both in terms of system and setting design.

The map was created by William McAusland.

http://www.mcauslandstudios.com/Dawnforge-3d-map.htm

Finally, Matt Forbeck contributed to the Dragonstar setting, but he didn't work on Dawnforge.

Thanks for the interest, and thanks to Knightfall for reaching out!

ETA: That first cover posted by Big Mac was the mock-up we used for preorders before the book was released (and before we had the final cover art and design). I believe that is the Theon Greyjoy card art from the original A Game of Thrones CCG set. :)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Greg Benage wrote:Finally, Matt Forbeck contributed to the Dragonstar setting, but he didn't work on Dawnforge.
Whoops. I meant Mark Chance who wrote Path of Legend. :oops:

And thanks for stopping by and chiming in Greg!
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Greg Benage wrote:It's cool to see people are still interested in Dawnforge. As Knightfall suggested, FFG owns the rights to the property. I haven't been with the company since 2006 and have no knowledge of their product plans. FFG seems to be focusing on their licensed RPGs and I'd be very surprised if they did anything with Dawnforge.
Hi Greg! :)
Welcome to The Piazza! I have taken the liberty of adding you to the list of Celebrities on the Piazza.
The setting attempted to support a "mythic age" style of campaign, and from a rules perspective, there were a lot of mechanics designed to create truly legendary characters. There were racial talents you gained by level that manifested new abilities of your race (e.g. damage reduction for orcs, immortality for elves, fey abilities for gnomes, size for giants) and legendary paths you could progress along by completing heroic quests, eventually leading to uber prestige classes called (shocker) legendary classes. Essentially, instead of "epic levels," the concept was to support epic play from 1-20, both in terms of system and setting design.
I really like the idea of a mythic age setting. Dawnforge does give me a bit of a Silmarillion wibe. I am fascinated with the sense of exploration from such a "young" world. I also liked that Lizardmen played a more important role here than what we see about some other settings. Tieflings also play a role as villains in Dawnforge and I wonder if this somehow subconciously made the WotC designers bring them into the 4E PHB?

ETA: That first cover posted by Big Mac was the mock-up we used for preorders before the book was released (and before we had the final cover art and design). I believe that is the Theon Greyjoy card art from the original A Game of Thrones CCG set. :)
That is a cool bit of inside info :)
Looking at the Amazon.co.uk page for Dawnforge it seems like there is more mock-up art presented through stores?

How many products were written for the setting?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Greg Benage
Kobold

Post by Greg Benage » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Hey, Havard. Just the three books: the core book, Path of Legend and Age of Legend. If you find the "Essential Collection," it's just a package with all three books.

Cheers,
Greg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:50 am

Greg Benage wrote:Hey, Havard. Just the three books: the core book, Path of Legend and Age of Legend. If you find the "Essential Collection," it's just a package with all three books.
Thanks Greg,
at least that will make my quest for a complete Dawnforge collection easier! :)

I have the main book already so I will have to see if getting the Essential Collection or the two "Legend" books will be easier.

By the way, did you have any ideas for the setting that never made it into published form that you would like to share?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Greg Benage wrote:It's cool to see people are still interested in Dawnforge.
Welcome to The Piazza Greg! Thanks for taking the time to sign up and answer questions about Dawnforge.

I had a quick look on your website and it looked like you were working on some novels for a new fantasy world. You might want to edit your forum signature, so that it points at a page where people can learn more about your new stuff. You might also want to use your forum avatar to showcase something special about your old or new work. A couple of people have used the faces of people on the cover of their novels. (You don't have to, of course, but if you are going to have some posts here, it might help fans of your old stuff find some of your new stuff.) :)
Greg Benage wrote:As Knightfall suggested, FFG owns the rights to the property. I haven't been with the company since 2006 and have no knowledge of their product plans. FFG seems to be focusing on their licensed RPGs and I'd be very surprised if they did anything with Dawnforge.
It does seem that it won't come back as a commercial thing. But I guess that someone out there might want to create some fanon content at some point. And I also suppose that if it does well at DriveThru RPG, they might consider a PDF sequel.

Akahdrin was telling me he had written some stuff for Under Ebernath. But I'm not sure if that is material he has finished playing with (and able to share).
Greg Benage wrote:The setting attempted to support a "mythic age" style of campaign, and from a rules perspective, there were a lot of mechanics designed to create truly legendary characters. There were racial talents you gained by level that manifested new abilities of your race (e.g. damage reduction for orcs, immortality for elves, fey abilities for gnomes, size for giants) and legendary paths you could progress along by completing heroic quests, eventually leading to uber prestige classes called (shocker) legendary classes. Essentially, instead of "epic levels," the concept was to support epic play from 1-20, both in terms of system and setting design.
That is an interesting concept. It would increase the power levels of the PCs, but then it would also increase the power levels of the NPCs and monsters they fought against.
Greg Benage wrote:The map was created by William McAusland.

http://www.mcauslandstudios.com/Dawnforge-3d-map.htm
Thanks for the link to the map. I've added it to the Other Dawnforge Websites (& Free Downloads) topic. (If The Piazza ever attracts enough Dawnforge fans to justify creation of a bespoke forum, that topic will be a sticky, that fans can use to find resources.)

I didn't realise the Dawnforge map was in 3D. I wonder if William McAusland uses similar methods to Anna Meyer. (She does awesome 3D maps for Greyhawk and is currently designing a map of the Southlands for Kobold Press.)

EDIT: I just noticed this on the McAusland Studios page:
McAusland Studio wrote:Medium: Hand sculpted in 3d and painted with acrylics/ digital modifications.
That sounds like William McAusland did something like build this out of clay! :shock: :o
Greg Benage wrote:Finally, Matt Forbeck contributed to the Dragonstar setting, but he didn't work on Dawnforge.
Is there anyone else who made a significant contribution to the way that the Dawnforge world works?

Also, is there any behind the scenes stuff that you are able to share (like an old interview Q&A session or an article about how you inveted the setting)?

Do you know of any other freebies that I have not yet added to the Other Dawnforge Websites (& Free Downloads) list?
Greg Benage wrote:Thanks for the interest, and thanks to Knightfall for reaching out!

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks to Knightfall for inviting you over. :cool:

akahdrin
Kobold

Post by akahdrin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Greg Benage,

Thank you so much for taking your time to come to the Piazza! I will not lie when I say this, but you created a gem of a setting and I really wished that it would have won that contest as I have this deep feeling that people have always yearned to be that hero instead of just hearing about them. Anyways, I'll say what I have done quickly with your setting, what I like and a few questions.

First thing, I love that the setting is before everything in terms of, regular settings. Magic is flooding through the world, but it's not flooding the economy. I love this! We actually follow rules on crafting times, so it's very hard to make a lot of items, therefore most of them simply aren't available unless you make it yourself. On our long boat rides they have done smithing, tailoring and poison crafting on a dwarven warbarge (think of an ironclad with huge cannons on it) that comes fully equipped with crafting stations inside. I have the dwarves using these to be able to trade goods more effectively so they don't have to have an additional trade route going home to pick up supplies. They simply pick up raw materials at port towns, anyways!

I'm not sure how much you remember of the lore you wrote for it, but I had the adventurers start off in Landsgate as that was a great staging ground for any campaign. It was where members from every race met there as a neutral ground because it was so far away except for the lizardfolk (it's on their continent). Playing into the lore that you had established, I had some Yuan-ti's pulling strings in the area that were manipulating quests, encouraging trade routes to be destroyed, the introduction to Snekrot the Orc pirate, who disgusted the other orcs in the area as he was attacking innocent coastal lizard folk fishing settlements. Plus it was a great point for the players to get together before traveling to Avennar on a boat after a brief stop in Seagarden to pick up supplies.

I absolutely loved your Path of Legend, we haven't finished it yet, but the opening games in Avennar are hilarious. The drinking rules that you put in there should be a standard in D&D. I have been expanding a lot on Ebernath due to the way I do experience which causes me to slow things down a little. Also, I wanted to have a reason that the college of mathematics in Ebernath would allow them to go snooping around as low adventurers. I have been really playing into how the Yuan-ti are psionic and how they hid one of Mordrin's (the dwarven earth outsider immortal) personal relics, an anvil that transmutes any earthen material on it to any other earthen material of his choice, under the city of Ebernath, hidden by only psionic artifacts as they aren't detectable by detect magic and then the anvil dropped in an anti-magic field protected by a series of puzzles and traps. Why did they hide this? I'm going with that the tieflings were assaulting the city of Ebernath, but the dwarves came to protect the city. The yuan-ti had infiltrated the dwarves for some time and had waited until the anvil was unguarded and Mordrin was assisting diplomatic issues trying to show his "divine" authority. The Yuani-ti then used an enslaved dwarf (the only race that can will this anvil to move!) to move it under the city and hide it under psionics and the anti-magic field. Who would look for this in the city it was stolen from? The character Liebton the Geometer has become a major NPC in my game who is one of the only wizards developing new custom spells that don't exist in D&D, I changed his classes around so he's actually the geometer from the Complete Arcane, in fact, he is the first geometer, a class that the Moon Elf wizard in my party has been aspiring to be. So far the story has been mixing the Tiefling wizard Yelda you made and an uneasy truce with the Yuan-ti (I came up with this part), but the fact that they are working together is not known to the others right now. I have made a simple map of an island off the coast of Land's Gate, a map of the coastline of the river that runs north of Avennar where the players accidentally killed friendly couriers thinking they were bandits who were then struck by Yuan-ti Psions midfight when they realized that the couriers were not bandits, a map of the dwarven warbarge as there was options for naval combat (never happened, they crafted the entire time), 3 maps for underneath the college and an additional map of the Eldritch Well at Ebernath that was under attack. I have more planned, it's just hard and very time consuming!

The changes you made to the game with the new classes, racial transformations, racial traits, legendary items, eldritch wells, immortals and other things don't feel like tacky add-ons that don't need to be there, but something that should have been there all along. My players love feeling like they are actually heroes now. They can see real benefits as they level and it is an amazing thing from a DM's perspective. Also, the fact that nothing really exists in terms of relics / artifacts other than a few that immortals have, everything is being created by them. It is a special thing when you see a player with maxed crafting, crafting feats and taking the time to make items for himself. Now imagine that all your players are doing this. It's awesome. They are slowly working at creating their own city.

Ok, my questions for you. It was never really spelled out, but are all of the races stigma free for the most part in terms of being able to walk into a city and not be attacked on sight? Are there are other immortals that I can add in, if so the problem I'm having is, how did they gain their immortality and what was their original motivation? The part about Eldritch wells was vague, how common are they? Are there like 20 in the world, 50, 100 or even more. Also what happens to these wells in the future (later settings) that no longer have them?

I wish I could say more that I have planned, but if my players read this it would be spoiled! Thank you for your time! And I really appreciate all the work did with Dawnforge! I have no idea how it did not win!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:31 am

Dawnforge is basically "(A)D&D in the time of legend" which offers the advantage of familiarity - it's recognizably the standard Dungeons & Dragons setting (meaning the some of the implicit setting assumptions of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or Nentir Vale, though it's none of those worlds) thousands of years ago, when what is legend now was current events. But it offers the corresponding disadvantage that it couldn't move very far beyond the traditional assumptions of D&D without losing that familiarity. By which I mean there aren't a lot of really new and exotic creatures: it's various kinds of elves, dwarves, orcs, humans, tieflings, and so on.

Specifically it's a campaign setting that takes place during the elf-drow wars, before the drow were banished underground. That's roughly equivalent to between 12,000-10,000 years before the DaleReckoning in the Forgotten Realms setting. The Mystaran equivalent would be before the Lesser Rain of Fire and the creation of the shadow elf race, I guess.

The great age of the yuan-ti people is still outgoing, somewhat similar to the lost serpent people empire of Valossa in the Freeport setting.

There's a demon-summoning empire ruled by tieflings, similar to 4th edition's Bael Turath but preceding it. It corresponds to Narfell in the Forgotten Realms or the Ur-Flan kingdoms in Greyhawk.

Basically, all those old, long-lost races and empires you read about in obscure parts of the Monster Manual are still around. Some of them, anyway.

Another way of looking at Dawnforge is that it's to a typical D&D setting as ancient Greek mythology is to medieval Europe. Heroes are a little bigger, gods are much closer to humanity, and the difference between humans and gods is much thinner than it will be in the future. Instead of gods as such the setting has immortals, which are like gods but they dwell in the mortal world, and clerics are more powerful if they dwell closer to their patron. They're weaker than gods but closer to mortals. Still, there are obvious parallels with some of the standard D&D racial gods (including Moradin and Lolth) and you can imagine that they're the same entities in an earlier era.

Magic is less sophisticated but the world itself is more magical.

There are human societies, but they tend toward the heroic and archetypical.

In order to more thoroughly sell the idea that this is a more legendary era, races and characters have special powers that standard D&D characters don't.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Man, that cover art looks a lot like the Morningstar campaign setting from Goodman Games. The description reads very similar, as well.

Return to “Other Worlds”