[Pellucidar] How does Pellucidar relate to Barsoom?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Pellucidar] How does Pellucidar relate to Barsoom?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 pm

I just saw a page about Pellucidiar on Encyclopedia Barsoomia.

Encyclopedia Barsoomia is an encyclopedia about Barsoom, so I'm not quite sure of the connection. Here is what they say about Pellucidiar:
Encyclopedia Barsoomia wrote:Pellucidar
Pellucidar is the interior world of the planet Earth. Beneath the surface of earth it is a warm and vibrant environment filled with creatures long since extinct upon the surface.

Geography
Being located within the Earth, Pellucidar has no horizon, the horizon curving upward in the distance. There is no night there within Pellucidar, the core of the earth being a bright sun in the center providing perpetual light.
It looks like this is a hollow earth setting (similar to Mystara's Hollow World subsetting). I'm quite interested in hollow earth settings.

How do people get in and out of Pellucidar? And how do they get between it and Barsoom?

Is Pellucidar covered in any of the Barsoom RPG products?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Pellucidar] How does Pellucidar relate to Barsoom?

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Pellucidar is inside the Earth (and not inside Barsoom, that is Mars, in Edgar Rice Burroughs' fiction) and you can reach it through an opening in the poles.
Yes, exactly: that was written ages before the Hollow World... surprised? I definitely was, when I found this out not much time ago.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:12 am

Looks like there was a book series in Pellucidar. I may have to grab that from Project Gutenburg at some point. Although I still haven't had a chance to read the Barsoom novels.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:59 am

I don't think there's any connection between Pellucidar and Barsoom other than sharing the same solar system and author.

People (that is, John Carter) get between Earth and Barsoom via astral projection. To get between Pellucidar and Barsoom you'd probably have to travel to Earth's exterior first so that you could see Mars in the sky (and you'd probably have to be John Carter).

Pellucidar does, however, connect directly to the Tarzan books, since Tarzan's been there.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 am

ripvanwormer wrote:I don't think there's any connection between Pellucidar and Barsoom other than sharing the same solar system and author.

People (that is, John Carter) get between Earth and Barsoom via astral projection. To get between Pellucidar and Barsoom you'd probably have to travel to Earth's exterior first so that you could see Mars in the sky (and you'd probably have to be John Carter).

Pellucidar does, however, connect directly to the Tarzan books, since Tarzan's been there.
Yep, there were crossovers between Tarzan and the Pellucidar series. There have also been crossovers between Tarzan and Barsoom although I am not sure if these were written by Burroughs or if they were written by later authors.

Mystara's Hollow World was clearly inspired by Pellucidar, Jules Verne, Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea and other Hollow Earth "theories". OTOH the cultures inhabiting Mystara's Hollow World are drawn from the overall mythology of Mystara though, giving it its own unique flavor, just like the others have. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartakus_ ... th_the_Sea a French animated series created by Nina Wolmark. Original run September 17, 1985 – 1987

The "Hollow Earth" concept is very old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth
Edmond Halley in 1692 put forth the idea of Earth consisting of a hollow shell about 800 km (500 mi) thick, two inner concentric shells and an innermost core, about the diameters of the planets Venus, Mars, and Mercury. Atmospheres separate these shells, and each shell has its own magnetic poles. The spheres rotate at different speeds. Halley proposed this scheme in order to explain anomalous compass readings. He envisaged the atmosphere inside as luminous (and possibly inhabited) and speculated that escaping gas caused the Aurora Borealis.
Edmond Halley's hypothesis:

The idea of a hollow Earth is a common element of fiction, appearing as early as Ludvig Holberg's 1741 novel Nicolai Klimii iter subterraneum (Niels Klim's Underground Travels), in which Nicolai Klim falls through a cave while spelunking and spends several years living on both a smaller globe within and the inside of the outer shell.

Pellucidar is a fictional Hollow Earth invented by Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs for a series of action adventure stories.
At the Earth's Core (1914)
Pellucidar (1915)
Tanar of Pellucidar (1929)
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1929)
Back to the Stone Age (1937)
Land of Terror (1944)
Savage Pellucidar (1963)

Pellucidar was the major inspiration for Lin Carter's Zanthodon novels of the late 1970s and early 1980s, set in the vast cavern of Zanthodon beneath the Sahara Desert.

The Hollow Earth milieu of Skartaris in the Warlord series of comic books by Mike Grell, published from 1976–1989, is essentially a translation of Pellucidar into the graphic medium, with the admixture of magic and elements of the Atlantis myth.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:38 am

Yaztromo wrote:Pellucidar is inside the Earth (and not inside Barsoom, that is Mars, in Edgar Rice Burroughs' fiction) and you can reach it through an opening in the poles.
Thanks. I did know that Barsoom was Mars and that this was inside Earth (or "Jasoom" in these stories).
Yaztromo wrote:Yes, exactly: that was written ages before the Hollow World... surprised? I definitely was, when I found this out not much time ago.
I wasn't surprised that Hollow Earth stuff existed before Hollow World. I had seen a film called At the Earth's Core (which I didn't even realise was adapted from a Pellucidar novel) before I saw Hollow World, so I was familiar with the concept. (In fact, that was part of the appeal of Hollow World to me.)
ripvanwormer wrote:People (that is, John Carter) get between Earth and Barsoom via astral projection. To get between Pellucidar and Barsoom you'd probably have to travel to Earth's exterior first so that you could see Mars in the sky (and you'd probably have to be John Carter).
Astral projection, huh? I guess that travel via the surface of Jasoom/Earth would be required for that.
Havard wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:I don't think there's any connection between Pellucidar and Barsoom other than sharing the same solar system and author.

Yep, there were crossovers between Tarzan and the Pellucidar series. There have also been crossovers between Tarzan and Barsoom although I am not sure if these were written by Burroughs or if they were written by later authors.
That sounds like a link that would explain a Barsoom encyclopaedia having a page for Pellucidar.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 am

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Yep, there were crossovers between Tarzan and the Pellucidar series. There have also been crossovers between Tarzan and Barsoom although I am not sure if these were written by Burroughs or if they were written by later authors.
That sounds like a link that would explain a Barsoom encyclopaedia having a page for Pellucidar.
Yeah, there does seem to be some arguments that Tarzan, John Carter and the Pellucidar Stories all take place in the same Burroughs-verse :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:24 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartakus_ ... th_the_Sea a French animated series created by Nina Wolmark. Original run September 17, 1985 – 1987
I've never heard of that before. I wonder how easy it would be to raid plots.
BlackBat242 wrote:The "Hollow Earth" concept is very old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth
Edmond Halley in 1692 put forth the idea of Earth consisting of a hollow shell about 800 km (500 mi) thick, two inner concentric shells and an innermost core, about the diameters of the planets Venus, Mars, and Mercury. Atmospheres separate these shells, and each shell has its own magnetic poles. The spheres rotate at different speeds. Halley proposed this scheme in order to explain anomalous compass readings. He envisaged the atmosphere inside as luminous (and possibly inhabited) and speculated that escaping gas caused the Aurora Borealis.
Edmond Halley's hypothesis:
I started a topic (over in The Squishy Bits forum) called "Flat Earth Theory - how does it work?". If I ever do a similar topic for Hollow Earth Theory, I'll have to copy this over.
BlackBat242 wrote:The idea of a hollow Earth is a common element of fiction, appearing as early as Ludvig Holberg's 1741 novel Nicolai Klimii iter subterraneum (Niels Klim's Underground Travels), in which Nicolai Klim falls through a cave while spelunking and spends several years living on both a smaller globe within and the inside of the outer shell.
Project Gutenberg has a translated copy of Niels Klim's Journey Under the Ground.
BlackBat242 wrote:Pellucidar is a fictional Hollow Earth invented by Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs for a series of action adventure stories.
Pellucidar (1915)
Land of Terror (1944)
Savage Pellucidar (1963)
Thanks.

There is a big gap there. Is Savage Pellucidar by someone else?

Also, have you seen this connection, that Havard wrote about, between Pellucidar and Barsoom?
BlackBat242 wrote:Pellucidar was the major inspiration for Lin Carter's Zanthodon novels of the late 1970s and early 1980s, set in the vast cavern of Zanthodon beneath the Sahara Desert.
I don't know Zanthodon, either. But if Pellucidar was an inspiration for it, I guess you could raid it for ideas.
BlackBat242 wrote:The Hollow Earth milieu of Skartaris in the Warlord series of comic books by Mike Grell, published from 1976–1989, is essentially a translation of Pellucidar into the graphic medium, with the admixture of magic and elements of the Atlantis myth.
Skartaris seems like it might be set much later than Pellucidar. But I guess that the fact that the hero is an air-force pilot would not make much difference to raiding plots for a Pellucidar game.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:Skartaris seems like it might be set much later than Pellucidar. But I guess that the fact that the hero is an air-force pilot would not make much difference to raiding plots for a Pellucidar game.
Batman's been there, too.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Skartaris seems like it might be set much later than Pellucidar. But I guess that the fact that the hero is an air-force pilot would not make much difference to raiding plots for a Pellucidar game.
Batman's been there, too.
Heh, I didn't know that. Skartaris was also mentioned briefly in the Books of Magic so it does make an appearance in different parts of the DC Comics Universe, at least in some iterations of it. I just started reading the Warlord comics, so I am just getting to know this setting better myself.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:59 am

Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:The idea of a hollow Earth is a common element of fiction, appearing as early as Ludvig Holberg's 1741 novel Nicolai Klimii iter subterraneum (Niels Klim's Underground Travels), in which Nicolai Klim falls through a cave while spelunking and spends several years living on both a smaller globe within and the inside of the outer shell.
Project Gutenberg has a translated copy of Niels Klim's Journey Under the Ground.
Thanks for the link.
Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:Pellucidar is a fictional Hollow Earth invented by Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs for a series of action adventure stories.
Pellucidar (1915)
Land of Terror (1944)
Savage Pellucidar (1963)
Thanks.

There is a big gap there. Is Savage Pellucidar by someone else?
Savage Pellucidar is a 1963 fantasy story collection by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the seventh and final book in his series about the fictional "hollow earth" land of Pellucidar. It was published twelve years after Burroughs's death.

Like a number of other posthumously published books by Burroughs, this book is not a novel but a collection of short stories. The first three stories, The Return to Pellucidar, Men of the Bronze Age and Tiger Girl, were published in Amazing Stories in February, March, and April 1942.

The fourth story, Savage Pellucidar, was published for the first time in November 1963 after being discovered in a safe by Burroughs' son Hulbert.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Return to “Other Worlds”