[New Koratia] Doom Clock

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[New Koratia] Doom Clock

Post by Big Mac »

I am currently reading the T.H. Lain novel, Return of the Damned. There is a device (I think it is an artifact) called the Doom Clock that seems pretty interesting:
Page 128 of Return of the Damned wrote:"Thousands of years ago, a demon lord by the name of Jaile Squarefoot managed to convince a band of adventurers to travel to the third layer of Hell. Once there, the dim-witted fools were tricked into starting the legendary Doom Clock." <snip>

"Once the clock came out of its millennia-long slumber, it began unravelling the fibres of time." <snip> "The clock actually had the power to pull apart the fabric that separates the planes." <snip> "As it moved from the third layer of Hell to the ninth, the huge, six-legged structure collected behind it a venerable army of crazed demons all wanting to wreck havoc on the other planes. Once it reached the ninth layer, it opened a portal to this world." <snip>

"Here it unleashed the chaos army you see depicted onto our land." <snip> "The great paladin Clembert gathered to him the mightiest army of paladins and holy men ever to fight together on this plane." <snip> "Or any other for that matter."

"Many good, righteous men and women died that day." <snip> "Incuding the paladin Clembert. But his loss was not in vain. His efforts and those of the people who followed him saved our world from being overun by the evil horde. If it hadn't been for them, this would would be nothing more than the tenth plane of Hell.
(The bits I snipped out have nothing to do with the Doom Clock.)

That is as far as I have gotten in the book. If the Doom Clock is mentioned again (and it might be) I will add to this thread.

I've tried searching online, but have not turned up anything useful (I'm finding a lot of false positives).

Does anyone know if the Doom Clock (or Clembert's battle) is mentioned in Planescape, or another campaign setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [New Koratia] Doom Clock

Post by Princess Strega »

I have never heard of the doom clock, but this is pretty amazing since the setting I am developing is in the wake of a temporal apocalypse and where magic has returned to the world and it's dimensional boundaries have thinned to the point of permitting travel to it, but not back out (Ravenloft-ish).

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Big Mac wrote:Does anyone know if the Doom Clock (or Clembert's battle) is mentioned in Planescape, or another campaign setting?
Jalie Squarefoot and the "Clock of Tyre" are from Hell in Freeport.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Does anyone know if the Doom Clock (or Clembert's battle) is mentioned in Planescape, or another campaign setting?
Yep, I ran a modifed version of Hell in Freeport a few years ago. I remember Jalie and his clock. So what are these doing in a T.H. Lain novel? :o

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Havard wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:
Yep, I ran a modifed version of Hell in Freeport a few years ago. I remember Jalie and his clock. So what are these doing in a T.H. Lain novel? :o
Okay answered my own question to this here: viewtopic.php?f=69&p=153028#p153028

:)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

That explains a lot. Good research, both of you.

I'm amused that this sort of establishes Freeport as a canon part of Greyhawk. If you squint.

Return to “Greyhawk”