Lejendary Adventures Setting

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

Lejendary Adventures Setting

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:20 pm

What is the setting for Gary Gygax' Lejendary Adventures like?

Wikipedia lists the following setting sourcebooks:

Lejendary Earth Gazetteer – World Setting sourcebook Part 1, Hekaforge Productions, 2002
Noble Knights and Dark Lands – LE World Setting Part 2, (Gary Gygax with Chris Clark) Hekaforge Productions, 2003
The Exotic Realms of Hazgar – LE World Setting Part 3, (Gary Gygax with Chris Clark) Hekaforge Productions, 2006
Jewels of the East (upcoming)

I assume these are all for the same world, or does this mean they are 4 different settings? Was Jewels of the East ever released?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Lejendary Adventures Setting

Postby Falconer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:20 pm

LE Gazetteer is the main Campaign Setting, and the other two books are regional supplements, fleshing out various continents and lands. I’ve never even heard Jewels; it definitely never came out.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Still trying to learn more about this setting. It does seem to have some similarities with Aerth from Dangerous Journeys/Mythus in that Lejendary Earth is also based on Earth's continents with some modifications? Is there a map available anywhere?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 am

There's a map of (part of) the world on the cover of the gazetteer:

This thread on the Doomsday Games boards talks about correspondences:

geneweigel wrote:Varan is Europe... Hazgar is Asia. Apphir is Africa, Irohj is the Middle East-Asia.

Not shown on the cover is Anatis which is like North America. The Lejendary Earth (Learth) has quasi-medieval/pseudo-ancient cultures which mimic Aerth somewhat (A neo-Egypt, etc.) of which not unlike Dj's Vargaard has colonies from elsewhere. However, Anatis seems to have more variety of colonizing cultures than Vargaard. The adventure THE HERMIT takes place off the west coast of Anatis in an area which is essentially a "mega-Hawaii". The culture of the colonial kingdom of Eraxong, if you couldn't tell by the name of the ruler: Nupathurva, is of course Sumerian-Babylonian. Weird, huh?

A review of one of the gazetteers.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby JamesMishler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:13 am

Jewels of the East was never released; I know, because I had been working on it with Gary back in 2003.

JotE would have covered Irojh (India), Maylus (Indonesia/New Guinea), and Temura (Australia, complete with competing colonies from Varan and elsewhere).

The portion of the continent where Varan, Hazgar, and Irojh meet is the "Zajhadi Conflux" also called the "Banir Wastes." It was the equivalent of sorts of the Arabian Peninsula, complete with a fairly recent conversion to a highly zealous faith. It was to be covered in depth in its own major product, an adventure, gazetteer.

I don't recall exactly what derailed the project; I think Troll Lords took over the license from Hekaforge, putting development of the world on hold, and were going to re-work the whole line. They never got back to the world setting before Gary died.
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Falconer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:59 am

Exotic Realms of Hazgar was published by Hekaforge even after TLG’s LA Essentials line was well underway, so, as I recall it was still the plan for Hekaforge to do all the campaign world books.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Other Worlds