[AD&D 1st Ed] The Zhalindor Campaign - What was it?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[AD&D 1st Ed] The Zhalindor Campaign - What was it?

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Anyone here heard about the Zhalindor campaign?

I know it appeared in the British Tortured Souls! publication and Game Master Publications in 1984-86 and was a setting for AD&D 1st edition.

Anyone know anything more about it?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [AD&D 1st Ed] The Zhalindor Campaign - What was it?

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Here's what I have been able to find via RPGGeek:
User Summary

The Zhalindor campaign was a AD&D campaign which appeared in every issue of the British RPG magazine Tortured Souls!. There was always at least one scenario and often a feature on the lands or the people of the campaign.

User summary (collected from various articles)

The Zhalindor Campaign is a full scale campaign based in the empire of Zhalindor, and written for use by experienced players and DMs. Although the rules system used is based on the AD&D rules, there are several major modifications (see below) which give the Campaign an individual flavor. Modules for use with Campaign appear on coloured paper in the centre pages of Tortured Souls! magazine (the colour of the paper denoting the region of the Campaign World from which the module is taken), and there are occasional Campaign supplements giving additional background information.

Specific aspects :
  • There is little treasure and less magical items in the modules than by AD&D standards.
  • Only the basic classes (Clerics, Fighters, Magic-users and Thieves) are allowed. Limited abilities from other sub-classes may be granted if worshipping specific gods (i.e. druidical abilities fot nature-related deities).
  • Alignement is not used in the campaign.
  • Psionics are banned, but some psionic abilities may be acquired if specifically stated in a module.
    All spells are categorized and their effects vary (bonus/malus/special) according to geographical location in the Campaign World and the category they belong to. The players don't know in advance these effects.
  • A new pantheon of gods is used, giving different abilities to clerics according to the deity they worship. It also defines which spells, weapons and armour are available to them, how are their clothing and holy symbols.
What do you think about Zhalindor based on the above?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

lostanddamned
Orc

Post by lostanddamned » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:25 am

I'd heard of that campaign, but sadly never been able to get hold of any copies of that Fanazine due to the silly prices it often has gone for, and often when it does go cheap, I'm broke sods law.
Damned until Death.

My not so frequent blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:42 pm

cool name...

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue May 24, 2016 7:49 pm

I have issues 1 to 5 (or is it 6) and back when it came out it struck me as too complex.
The magic effects that depended on location were not exactly trivial, and in some cases they looked as if they might make a tough adventure too hard.
What also didn't help is the first few adventures where scattered across the map (and in levels) which meant there was no easy way to run the campaign without writing nearly everything oneself (that or wait for them to finish producing it).
These days I would definitely say that it was more of a campaign setting than a campaign, with some adventures provided, but very little information on the actual world and the countries (in the first few magazines anyway).

(Unfortunately I think I scribbled over the map with plans for my own campaign world - the foolish things one does as a teenager).

As for the rest of the adventures in each magazine, lets see:
There were 4 per magazine, 2 for Zhalindor, one solo adventure and one other generic adventure.
Most adventures were for AD&D, but some had D&D or RuneQuest details too. (In one of the solo adventures the three versions were all slightly different. What didn't help is there was an error in the go-to numbers so one room one had to pass through had no way out.)
In one issue I think they replaced one of the Zhalindor adventures with limited campaign information.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Return to “Other Worlds”