[Barsoom] Dungeon #101: Iron Lords of Jupiter & Barsoom

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

[Barsoom] Dungeon #101: Iron Lords of Jupiter & Barsoom

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 am

Iron Lords of Jupiter, in an old Dungeon magazine issue, was basically this with the serial numbers removed.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Barsoom] Dungeon #101: Iron Lords of Jupiter & Barsoom

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:02 am

Ashtagon wrote:Iron Lords of Jupiter, in an old Dungeon magazine issue, was basically this with the serial numbers removed.
Wow! Warriors of Mars is a 60 pages book, with plenty of images etc. so Iron Lords of Jupiter must have been abridged and with much reduced artwork / maps or that Dungeon magazine issue must have been pack full of great things!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 am

It was Dungeon #101.

As written, a mini-setting was provided, which supposed that underneath the clouds, Jupiter has a habitable surface, the environment of which was curiously similar to the planetary romance genre's rendition of Mars. For copyright reasons if no other, they didn't call it John carter anything, but the influence is there. The campaign assumption is that PCs are either "strangers (ie newly arrived earthlings) or natives. The following native races are written up:

Groll: Survivalist brutes.
Marikon: The ruling race (aka the Iron Lords). A bit more technologically advanced, and with racial weaponry (bone spurs).
Veth: Agile mystics, subservient to the iron lords.

It also includes 7 prestige classes. Of these seven, the Bowmaster is a modified Gunslinger, the Wise One is a modified Field Medic, and the Scholar is a modified Field Scientist. There are also minor modifications to the Soldier, Daredevil, and Bodyguard advanced classes. Finally, there is the obligatory equipment list.

About the only thing needed for a genuine Barsoom setting is psionics for the secret alien masters (easily added), stats for the four-armed martian race, and rules for John's amazing leaping ability.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Am I the only one who hates Barsoom knock-offs? I've read several books over the years and looked at many Mars-like RPG systems, and they all fall flat for me. The original Barsoom books have some sort of mystique to me that other authors haven't duplicated well, and Warriors of Mars is the only proto-RPG product that I've found that seems to really capture ERB's spirit of Mars.

Just my opinion, of course.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Well Fin, I have to say that nothing I've seen has excited me enough to gear up and run a game. So far. I agree that ERB's Barsoom stands head-and-shoulders over everything that tries to emulate it. What would it take to win me over? Slavish modeling of his world and its feel, along with mechanics that stayed firmly in the background out of my way. A few shiny new packaged adventures that recalled that era would REALLY get me going, along with a little sandboxy area around, say, Helium. Done a la CSIO.

Of course, Barsoom stories are written as the adventures of a single hero. Like Indiana Jones, or Dr Who, it's a bit tougher to switch that to a party-based rpg. Barsoom is also sexist, and that's not as acceptable today, so perhaps another element drops out. Finally, the copyright issue is always there looming in the background, even as things slide into public domain.

And you have to answer the question, "What is Pulp?" satisfactorily to everyone involved.

Not a small task.

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7414

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:36 pm

finarvyn wrote:I've read several books over the years and looked at many Mars-like RPG systems, and they all fall flat for me. The original Barsoom books have some sort of mystique to me that other authors haven't duplicated well, and Warriors of Mars is the only proto-RPG product that I've found that seems to really capture ERB's spirit of Mars.
I run quite a few mini-campaigns for playtesting my Barsoom ruleset adaptation and I have to say that it is very difficult adapting a ruleset to match exactly the powers and situations mentioned in the original novels, as they would break the game (for example the mind-reading abilities that are common in many Barsoomians: they can spoil a lot of the fun in investigation-based adventures.
At the end you find yourself bending the rules (that are in the novels) in order to make the game playable (and they are hard choices to take). The other issue is that many players like to be powerplayers and it is really difficult conveying the mystique of Barsoom to them.
Perhaps these may be two root causes of the issues that you mention.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:18 pm

I finally managed to get the magazine with the Iron Lords of Jupiter d20 Modern campaign notes and, while it is explicitely inspired to Burroughs novels as well (and also to similar kind of planetary romance sagas like Flash Gordon etc.), it would be massively unfair saying that it's the old Warriors of Mars campaign by Gary Gygax with serial numbers removed.
It is definitely a different setting.

Return to “John Carter of Mars”