[Pendragon] Anyone use Pendragon?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Pendragon] Anyone use Pendragon?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:20 pm

I've heard Pendragon mentioned a lot over the years. And what with it being based on British mythology, it should have been something I jumped on ages back, but I've always seen the story of King Arthur as a bit restrictive.

However, it seems to have stuck around for multiple editions of the BRP rules. (I'm not sure if it is also available for other tabletop systems, but I think there are other King Arthur games out there for that.)

Has anyone on The PIazza played with Pendragon?

Does everyone have to be a knight, or are there a lot of other PC options?

Do all the adventures follow the legend of King Arthur, or are there some new adentures?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Pendragon] Anyone use Pendragon?

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 pm

(taking the liberty of changing the order of your quotes a bit)
Big Mac wrote:Has anyone on The PIazza played with Pendragon?
I have played it, though most of my experience comes from a campaign that used the Pendragon rules, but was set in Glorantha. I also played briefly in the standard Arthurian setting. It is among my favourite BRP settings.

I've heard Pendragon mentioned a lot over the years. And what with it being based on British mythology, it should have been something I jumped on ages back, but I've always seen the story of King Arthur as a bit restrictive.

However, it seems to have stuck around for multiple editions of the BRP rules. (I'm not sure if it is also available for other tabletop systems, but I think there are other King Arthur games out there for that.)
The setting might not be as restrictive as you might think. The Great Pendragon Campaign (a massive adventure sourcebook) covers the span of 90 years leading up to Arthur's reign and following his death. That is a great illustration of the many opportunities in the most archetypical Pendragon campaign. Sourcebooks like Saxons and Land of Giants (Beowulf-style Scandinavia) illustrate very different types of campaigns. You could also run a much less ambitious, but standard English Knight campaign without going into all the Arthurian mythos like the Great Campaign does.
Does everyone have to be a knight, or are there a lot of other PC options?
The fourth edition allowed for playing magician characters, but all earlier and later editions only allow Knights or ladies in the core rules. Supplements allow for characters like Celtic Warriors or Vikings IIRC. I would recommend sticking to knights however. As this is not a class based system, it is possible to differentiate quite a bit between the characters anyway. One example of this are the different knightly ideals, like the Romantic Knight, the Chivalric Knight and the Religious Knight which are archetypes you can aspire to become. Skills, the Personality Trait system and Passions further help making knightly characters different from eachother.
Do all the adventures follow the legend of King Arthur, or are there some new adentures?
As mentioned above, this is pretty much up to each GM. You can even play a more historically correct Dark Ages setting or a more fantatic setting than the myths if you wish to do so.

One variant I think would be really cool to try out would be a campaign based on the Camelot 3000 comic book where King Arthur and his knights are reborn in the year 3000 AD. I don't know if a different system would be better suited, but on the other hand it would be interesting to first run a campaign in the traditional Pendragon setting and then run a follow-up campaign with the 3000 AD variant, using the same characters(!)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:(I'm not sure if it is also available for other tabletop systems, but I think there are other King Arthur games out there for that.)
The only other RPG I can think of set in King Arthur's Britan would be the Prince Valiant RPG. Not sure if there are any others out there?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:47 pm

AD&D's Deities & Demigods and Legends & Lore included chapters on the Arthurian mythos.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 25, 2016 4:27 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:AD&D's Deities & Demigods and Legends & Lore included chapters on the Arthurian mythos.

Good point!

I wonder if anyone has made much use of these in AD&D Campaigns?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri May 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:(I'm not sure if it is also available for other tabletop systems, but I think there are other King Arthur games out there for that.)
The only other RPG I can think of set in King Arthur's Britan would be the Prince Valiant RPG. Not sure if there are any others out there?

-Havard
There were a couple Dragon issues dealing with Anglo-Saxon Britain ("Dark Ages" in issue #257 and "Hearth & Sword" in issue #263). While not directly dealing with playing as part of King Arthur's court, it could easily be used for that. It was for 2e, and introduced a lot of kits (Storyteller, Scholar Monk, Ceorl, Horseman, Thegn, Rustler, Runemaster, and Tribal Priest) along with new races (Erlking/Forest Goblin and Trow).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 pm

The Dark wrote:There were a couple Dragon issues dealing with Anglo-Saxon Britain ("Dark Ages" in issue #257 and "Hearth & Sword" in issue #263). While not directly dealing with playing as part of King Arthur's court, it could easily be used for that. It was for 2e, and introduced a lot of kits (Storyteller, Scholar Monk, Ceorl, Horseman, Thegn, Rustler, Runemaster, and Tribal Priest) along with new races (Erlking/Forest Goblin and Trow).
Neat! Will need to see if I can find these issues in my collection.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”