[Ringworld] Anyone own this?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Ringworld] Anyone own this?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 pm

I just saw on Havard's [BRP] Settings topic, that there is a Ringworld campaign setting out there.

I have heard of Ringworld, but not read the novels. There is a Spelljammer planet, called Nivil, that is pretty much ripped off from the Ringworld concept, so I need to learn a bit more about Ringworld at some point, in order to see if I can use Ringworld to add more detail to Nivil.

But if there are actually some sort of tools for randomly generating terrain for a ringworld in the Ringworld RPG product/products that might be something I could raid directly.

Has anyone got the Ringworld roleplaying products? Are there a lot of them?

Are there any supporting products for the Ringworld novels that can be repurposed for roleplaying?

Is there an existing Ringworld fanbase out there somewhere? Or any fan content?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

nerik
Bionoid

Re: [Ringworld] Anyone own this?

Post by nerik » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I don't have it myself (a decision I regret), but I know a driend who does. It used Chaosium's BRP system (i.e. Call of Cuthulu, Runequest, etc.). Only the core boxed set and the companion were published, in 1984. IIRC second hand copies are really expensive!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 pm

What I have is The Guide to Larry Niven's Ringworld (by Kevin Stein, author of Brothers Majere). It's like a campaign setting book but without game statistics, intended for a non-gaming audience. If you already have a science fiction RPG system that you like and you're willing to come up with your own statistics for Larry Niven's aliens, you've essentially got a Ringworld RPG, though with no pre-written adventures.

I also found an interactive guide to Ringworld online. By clicking the little arrows, you can pan all around the ring, Google Earth style (though it repeats terrain features, and some of it looks suspiciously like Earth's Mediterranean—that can be chalked up to the fact that the world is artificial, though).

Bruce Heard put up his own take on Niven's Kzinti on his website.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 am

I found a PDF a couple of years ago of dubious quality but no luck so far in finding a print version. It's been years since I've visited Ringworld though I was lucky enough to meet Larry Niven some years back. I've also considered adapting his Integral Trees setting to RP. I imagine Ringworld would work well with pretty much any d% derivative, though as I thought of that FASA Star Trek came to mind which could be interesting as well.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:34 am

nerik wrote:I don't have it myself (a decision I regret), but I know a driend who does. It used Chaosium's BRP system (i.e. Call of Cuthulu, Runequest, etc.). Only the core boxed set and the companion were published, in 1984. IIRC second hand copies are really expensive!
I see Ringworld: Roleplaying Adventure Beneath the Great Arch [BOX SET] on Amazon US (they don't seem to have it in the UK) for $99.99 USD + shipping (£70.25 UKP + postage in my money). :o

They do have Ringworld Companion for $49.99 USD + shipping (£35.12 UKP + postage in my money). But I would guess that would be less useful, without the actual boxed set.

Larry Nivern.net has a Ringworld Companion gallery (with some images from the RPG). :)
ripvanwormer wrote:What I have is The Guide to Larry Niven's Ringworld (by Kevin Stein, author of Brothers Majere). It's like a campaign setting book but without game statistics, intended for a non-gaming audience. If you already have a science fiction RPG system that you like and you're willing to come up with your own statistics for Larry Niven's aliens, you've essentially got a Ringworld RPG, though with no pre-written adventures.
I was mostly thinking of learning the basics, so that I can think of some ideas for Nivil, so this book is probably going to be better for me. Some of the reviews I saw, when I just looked it up, said it was aimed at newbies.
ripvanwormer wrote:I also found an interactive guide to Ringworld online. By clicking the little arrows, you can pan all around the ring, Google Earth style (though it repeats terrain features, and some of it looks suspiciously like Earth's Mediterranean—that can be chalked up to the fact that the world is artificial, though).
That's a nice website. I did like the way that it gave the locations in degrees around the world. (That's probably something that needs to be considered, if a full map of Nivil was ever attempted.) It's a shame there is only detail on a couple of the locations, but I guess that is going to be down to the RIngworld novels, themselves, rather than the person who made that website.
ripvanwormer wrote:Bruce Heard put up his own take on Niven's Kzinti on his website.
I think I remember that going up. Thanks for the reminder.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:59 am

Krimson wrote:It's been years since I've visited Ringworld though I was lucky enough to meet Larry Niven some years back.
Did you speak to him about the Ringworld books?
Krimson wrote:I've also considered adapting his Integral Trees setting to RP.
I've not read those novels either. Are they set in the same universe as the Ringworld universe? How many novels would I need to read to cover everything in the one universe?
Krimson wrote:I imagine Ringworld would work well with pretty much any d% derivative, though as I thought of that FASA Star Trek came to mind which could be interesting as well.
There is a Savage Ringworld conversion, that is under construction, if anyone out there plays Savage Worlds. They say it is going up soon, but I don't see any actual details there, and I can't see who owns the page (otherwise I would invite them over here :) ).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:22 pm

It looks like there are a couple of computer games: I wonder if there is a website that has the plot of these games. From what I can tell, Revenge of the Patriach is a new story, so it might be something people want to raid for use in tabletop gaming.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Was there a GURPS product for this setting as well?

There is a small review of the BRP Ringworld Boxed Set at the good old Grognardia Blog. The review is fairly brief but the comments help a bit.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Krimson wrote:I've also considered adapting his Integral Trees setting to RP.
My Whiteleaf setting uses a thinly-disguised expy of the Smoke Ring as its Elemental Plane of Air. And then I worked from that to try and come up with similarly "bent" equivalents for the other Elemental Planes. I'm extremely proud of what I came up with for Water; neither of the others turned out all that impressive.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Havard wrote:Was there a GURPS product for this setting as well?
I don't think so...not officially anyway. Maybe there is some sort of "GURPS ringworld" product that is about a generic ringworld, rather than Larry Niven's one. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Was there a GURPS product for this setting as well?
I don't think so...not officially anyway. Maybe there is some sort of "GURPS ringworld" product that is about a generic ringworld, rather than Larry Niven's one. :)
No, looks like I was misremembering,

This website has info about various rulesets used for Ringworld, including GURPS though. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”