[d20 System][Barsoom] John Carter: Warlord of Mars

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[d20 System][Barsoom] John Carter: Warlord of Mars

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Over on Knightfall's 3.5 D&D group on Facebook, Darryl Harris wrote about a d20 RPG for John Carter, called John Carter: Warlord of Mars (along with Conan and Slaine):
Darryl Harris on Facebook wrote:Next up is a long time print and comics character who recently got a movie. John Carter Warlord Of Mars. John Carter was published by Edgar Rice Burroughs "Who also created Tarzan. More on him in my Pulp Heroes Post another day." The fantasy art of the John Carter series is almost worth the cover price alone.

Of the three, Warlords Of Mars is more science fiction than sword and sorcery. But like the Asgardians the "Science" in the John Carter series doesn't really work the way we think of science working. Their science is more magic than science. Everything from the way they use and describe it to the way it looks. It's magic disguised as science. Which makes sense. These original books were first published in 1912. So the science they write about may as well be magic.

As D20 Suppliments the Mars series of books are the hardest to find. Even in PDF form. If you can find them though they have awesome options. The creature book "Minnions Of Mars" adds a great deal of variety. You can run this as a campaign or just borrowing the monsters, or techy style magic to run in your 3.5 game. They're published by Adamant Entertainment.
Not only have I never heard of John Carter: Warlord of Mars, but I am also struggling to find anything online that provides any information about this product (other than what Darryl wrote). Darryl posted a picture of the book, and he owns a copy, so I know it exists, but it's like this book has been erased from history.

I did, however, find a ton of other Mars books, by Adamant Entertainment, so maybe they quietly dropped the John Carpenter name and carried on with generic Mars products. :?

Here are some of the products I did find:
  • Mars: A Roleplaying Game of Planetary Romance (d20 Modern)
  • Minions of Mars (d20 Modern)
  • Slavers of Mars (d20 Modern)
  • MARS: A Savage Setting of Planetary Romance (Savage Worlds)
  • Blood Legacy of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Caravan of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Face of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Rebels of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Sell-Swords of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Sky-Tyrant of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Soul-Thieves of Mars (Savage Worlds)
  • Warriors of Mars (Savage Worlds)
I know that John Carter is public domain now, but I wonder if they got sent a cease and desist letter by "copyright troll" lawers and moved to generic Mars products rather than risk a fight. Perhaps that could explain a lack of information on the book. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “John Carter of Mars”