[Mars] [Barsoom] The adventures of Lt. Gullivar Jones

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Mars] [Barsoom] The adventures of Lt. Gullivar Jones

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:57 pm

I just recently learned about this, but apparently there was a predecessor to Burroughs' John Carter of Mars from the 1904 novel Lieut. Gullivar Jones: His Vacation by Edwin Lester Arnold.

While the novel was not successful at the time, the character has later appeared both Marvel and DC adaptations as well as in other novels.

Is anyone here more familiar with these works than me? How is the setting of Mars described in these stories? Is this something that could add to a Barsoom or Mars (ie. Savage Worlds etc) campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Mars] [Barsoom] The adventures of Lt. Gullivar Jones

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Gullivar Jones appears in the prologue to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill. He's actually the first character to appear in the book, shown gliding across the arid Martian terrain on his flying carpet before a group of Green Martians lead him to John Carter. John Carter and Gullivar Jones proceed to discuss plans for a desperate strike against H.G. Wells' Martians, who Jones and Carter refer to as "molluscs." In this telling, H.G. Wells' Martians are alien invaders, not natives of Mars. The Hither Folk commanded by Gullivar Jones and the Green Martians commanded by John Carter are almost defeated by the tripods until the timely arrival of the Sorns from C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet turns the tide of battle. The molluscs flee to another, more vulnerable world: Earth. Jess Nevins' annotations suggest that this takes place, for John Carter, between the events of Gods of Mars and Warlord of Mars, when Deja Thoris was imprisoned and feared dead, although it may be that in this alternate universe H.G. Wells' mollusks actually killed Deja Thoris.

In the universe of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Hither Folk from Lieut. Gullivar Jones are a separate people from the Red and Green Martians from Burroughs' novels. They seem very different, too:
Lieut. Gullivar Jones wrote:The whole place down there was a gay, shifting crowd. The booths of yesterday, the arcades, the archways, were still standing, and during the night unknown hands had redecked them with flowers, while another day's sunshine had opened the coppice buds so that the whole place was brilliant past expression. And here the Hither folk were varying their idleness by a general holiday. They were standing about in groups, or lying ranked like new-plucked flowers on the banks, piping to each other through reeds as soft and melodious as running water. They were playing inconsequent games and breaking off in the middle of them like children looking for new pleasures. They were idling about the drinking booths, delicately stupid with quaint, thin wines, dealt out to all who asked; the maids were ready to chevy or be chevied through the blossoming thickets by anyone who chanced upon them, the men slipped their arms round slender waists and wandered down the paths, scarce seeming to care even whose waist it was they circled or into whose ear they whispered the remainder of the love-tale they had begun to some one else. And everywhere it was "Hi," and "Ha," and "So," and "See," as these quaint people called to one another, knowing each other as familiarly as ants of a nest, and by the same magic it seemed to me.
Jess Nevins compares the Hither folk to H.G. Wells' Eloi. They have no last names and have no idea who their parents might have been: they raise their children communally and don't bother to keep track of ancestry.

According to Wikipedia, Dynamite Entertainment's Warriors of Mars comic series resolves the differences between the Hither folk and Red Martians by ignoring them, deciding they were the same people and that Princess Heru from Lieut. Gullivar Jones went on to become Deja Thoris's mother. That seems like a good way to include the events of the earlier novel as an easter egg without changing the world setting at all.

An RPG campaign based on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in which the various Martian species had to battle the tripods from War of the Worlds would be very different from the typical Barsoom setting.

Here's the complete Gullivar Jones novel as a public domain ebook. It's an audiobook, too.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:41 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Gullivar Jones appears in the prologue to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill. He's actually the first character to appear in the book, shown gliding across the arid Martian terrain on his flying carpet before a group of Green Martians lead him to John Carter. John Carter and Gullivar Jones proceed to discuss plans for a desperate strike against H.G. Wells' Martians, who Jones and Carter refer to as "molluscs." In this telling, H.G. Wells' Martians are alien invaders, not natives of Mars. The Hither Folk commanded by Gullivar Jones and the Green Martians commanded by John Carter are almost defeated by the tripods until the timely arrival of the Sorns from C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet turns the tide of battle. The molluscs flee to another, more vulnerable world: Earth.
:shock: sounds like a mega mash-up of all the stories about Mars written until that time!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Yaztromo wrote: :shock: sounds like a mega mash-up of all the stories about Mars written until that time!
Yes, the premise of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is that every fictional work is real, though Alan Moore focused primarily on British authors. So this was a Mars that was simultaneously every fictional Mars.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:18 pm

I have to say I love the idea of combining both these two and the tripod race from H.G Wells!

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen does manage to tie a lot of different things together. Reminds me of some of our previous discussions about LaTerre. Perhaps we need to flesh out that version of Mars as well?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 am

Personally, during a campaign on a planet strikingly resembling the Mars of certain pulp literature, I tried introducing the Seroni and some of the tropes from Out of the Silent Planet, but they didn't work very well, most likely due to my shortcoming as a Game Master.
I found out that pulp tropes are much easier to use in a RPG for poor GMs like me.
Did anybody else manage to introduce successfully some elements from C.S.Lewis in his/her games? Is there any suggestion or other practical guide that you can propose for that?

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 am

Sherlock Holmes's War of the Worlds is a sequel to H. G. Wells's science fiction novel The War of the Worlds, written by Manly Wade Wellman and his son Wade Wellman, and published in 1975. It is a pastiche crossover which combines H. G. Wells's extraterrestrial invasion story with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Professor Challenger stories.

When H.G. Wells wrote The War of the Worlds in 1897, speculation about possible life on Mars was still very popular, even though the scientific evidence already found it unlikely. By the time of SHWW’s writing in 1968, scientists had conclusively shown that the red planet is a cold, dead planet that could not possibly hold a living Martian civilization.

The Wellmans decided to have a little fun at Wells’ expense! In SHWW, Holmes and Challenger deduce from the “Martian’s” physiology and technology that they must have come from somewhere outside the solar system. Wade and Manly use this to have some fun at H.G. Wells’ expense, having Holmes and Challenger accusing him of sloppy reasoning! Furthermore, they have Doctor Watson referring to H.G. as “a known radical and atheist, a boon companion of Frank Harris, George Bernard Shaw, and worse.” I have noted previously on this blog that H.G. Wells had radical utopian ideas, so Watson’s accusations are not entirely unreasonable. I wondered at first if the Wellmans had a genuine personal dislike of Wells, but their introduction to the tome speaks of Wells with such reverence that I am convinced they’re really just playing a joke of sorts on him.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 am

Throwing Holmes in the lot sounds like a great idea to me! ;)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:40 am

https://www.amazon.com/Gulliver-Mars-Ed ... B00193QH3G
Ace Books, 1964. Mass market paperback. Originally published in 1905 as "Lieut. Gulliver Jones: His Vacation," An early interplanetary romance story; in the introduction Richard A Lupoff claims this story as a source for Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom. The provenance is visible in hindsight.
https://www.amazon.com/Gulliver-Serapis ... er+of+Mars
Dare I say it? Dare I say that I, a plain, prosaic lieutenant in the republican service have done the incredible things here set out for the love of a woman—for a chimera in female shape; for a pale, vapid ghost of woman-loveliness? At times I tell myself I dare not: that you will laugh, and cast me aside as a fabricator; and then again I pick up my pen and collect the scattered pages, for I MUST write it—the pallid splendour of that thing I loved, and won, and lost is ever before me, and will not be forgotten. The tumult of the struggle into which that vision led me still throbs in my mind, the soft, lisping voices of the planet I ransacked for its sake and the roar of the destruction which followed me back from the quest drowns all other sounds in my ears! I must and will write—it relieves me; read and believe as you list. At the moment this story commences I was thinking of grilled steak and tomatoes—steak crisp and brown on both sides, and tomatoes red as a setting sun! Much else though I have forgotten, THAT fact remains as clear as the last sight of a well-remembered shore in the mind of some wave-tossed traveller. And the occasion which produced that prosaic thought was a night well calculated to make one think of supper and fireside, though the one might be frugal and the other lonely, and as I, Gulliver Jones, the poor foresaid Navy lieutenant, with the honoured stars of our Republic on my collar, and an undeserved snub from those in authority rankling in my heart, picked my way homeward by a short cut through the dismalness of a New York slum I longed for steak and stout, slippers and a pipe, with all the pathetic keenness of a troubled soul...

Return to “John Carter of Mars”