[Kolhapur] The Star of Kolhapur

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Kolhapur] The Star of Kolhapur

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:30 pm

I've seen The Star of Kolhapur mentioned a few times, but we don't actually have a topic for this.
The Star of Kolhapur on Amazon wrote:The Star of Kolhapur (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition) Paperback – 1997
by Michael Selinker

"When the fabled Star of Kolhapur gem is stolen, Rajah Shivaji is rightfully incensed. He blames the Thugs, vicious murdering worshippers of the black goddess Kali. But the thugs are not the only dangers in this land. Fiendish spirits wander the city, thieves prowl the streets of Kolhapur, and something even more sinister emerges at night..."
Has anyone played this RPGA adventure?

I've heard this is based on Indian mythology. The map on the back cover certainly looks like India (although it could be an island continent, rather than a conjoined one). Is this adventure supposed to be set in real-world India? Or was a Kolhapur a campaign setting created specifically for this adventure?

Is there much to the local religion, aside from the goddess Kali? Are other deities mentioned? Does the book refer people to Legends & Lore for the pantheon?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Kolhapur] The Star of Kolhapur

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Interesting. I'd never heard of this one.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am

I included this in my thread about AD&D 2nd Edition Adventures here.

I own a copy, but I never got around to playing it. Since it has an Indian style atmosphere, I was thinking about adapting it to Sind from the Mystara Setting, or the Indian Setting from Green Ronin, whose name escapes me at the moment.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:16 am

Havard wrote:I own a copy, but I never got around to playing it. Since it has an Indian style atmosphere, I was thinking about adapting it to Sind from the Mystara Setting, or the Indian Setting from Green Ronin, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Are you thinking of Mythic Vistas: Mindshadows, from Green Ronin? https://www.amazon.com/Mythic-Vistas-Mi ... 1932442006

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes, that is the one.

I am surprised that we don't have a thread about Mindshadows on the Piazza? I don't know if the Star of Kolhapur would fit there, but AFAIK both use elements from the cultures and myths of India.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:28 am

Havard wrote:I am surprised that we don't have a thread about Mindshadows on the Piazza?
As I recall, it's been mentioned in discussions of the World of Freeport (which it is part of, canonically), or in response to requests for resources for Asian campaigns not based on China and Japan, but never in its own thread.

I own the book (and its companion bestiary, Monsters of the Mind), but it's been a while now since I've read it.

[Edited to correct myself: I acquired these two books well after 3.5 psionics were well-established, so I never did attempt to compile errata for either one.]
Last edited by timemrick on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Havard wrote:I am surprised that we don't have a thread about Mindshadows on the Piazza?
How's this?: [Naranjan] Mythic Vistas: Mindshadows + Monsters of the Mind. ;)
Havard wrote:I don't know if the Star of Kolhapur would fit there, but AFAIK both use elements from the cultures and myths of India.
I'm guessing that Naranjan stuff might fit in with The Star of Kolhapur, but I'm not sure how big a psionic theme it has. That might make it hard to use by someone who wasn't into psionics.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:08 am

I've both run and played in the adventure. It is a generic world setting, similar to 17th century India. It WOULD fit into a one of the many "earths" such as Gothic Earth, but it wasn't designed for it. I know of no other references to it in any other product.
-Apotheot
Last edited by apotheot on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:42 am

Apotheot, is it a good one?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:32 am

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone played this RPGA adventure?
I just bought a used copy from Amazon. I have several Indian co-workers, and am interested in running a game in a setting that they'd be more familiar with. Perhaps I'll give this one a try.
Big Mac wrote:I've heard this is based on Indian mythology. The map on the back cover certainly looks like India (although it could be an island continent, rather than a conjoined one). Is this adventure supposed to be set in real-world India? Or was a Kolhapur a campaign setting created specifically for this adventure?
The introduction explicitly states that it takes place in "fantasy India with all its mythology intact." It places the date as circa 1700.

Kolhapur is a single city, and its description is limited to about 1/2 of a page. Its palace receives 3 pages of description as well.
Big Mac wrote:Is there much to the local religion, aside from the goddess Kali? Are other deities mentioned? Does the book refer people to Legends & Lore for the pantheon?
The module doesn't add detail about the local religion. It directs the DM to Legends & Lore for more information about the Indian pantheon.

It also suggests articles from the following issues of Dragon Magazine, and explains how to substitute those options for the more general ones found in the adventure (e.g., it gives NPCs Indian kits, spells, and magic items).
  • Dragon 189—Indian weapons
  • Dragon 225—Kits for Indian characters
  • Dragon 226—Spells for Indian adventures
  • Dragon 229—Indian magical items

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:39 am

Yaztromo wrote:Apotheot, is it a good one?
It was a fine one-off adventure. I imagine if you used the dragon articles Tim mentions, and possibly the Ravenloft module Web of Illusion, or information on the Wild Lands, you could make a decent themed campaign setting.
-Apotheot

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 am

During last few years, one-off are about all I can afford...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”