[MtG][Amonkhet] Plane Shift: Amonkhet (D&D/MtG crossover)

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 am

Dragonhelm just pointed me at something interesting. :o :shock: :| :) :D :mrgreen:

Back in April 2016, Wizards of the Coast published an Plane Shift: Zendikar. Then in July 2016 Plane Shift: Innistrad was released via Dragon+ Magazine. And in February 2017 Plane Shift: Kaladesh was released on the D&D website.

Now Wizards of the Coast have released Plane Shift: Amonkhet. Here is the blurb from the page:
Plane Shift: Amonkhet at the Dungeons & Dragons website wrote:Plane Shift: Amonkhet

"When the Second Sun rests between the horns on the horizon, so begins the Hour of Revelation. Then the Hour of Glory, the Hour of Promise, and finally the Hour of Eternity." —The Accounting of Hours

Five deadly Trials await every initiate on the plane of Amonkhet. Can you enter the Trials and prove yourself worthy of a place in the God-Pharaoh's afterlife? Perhaps you will take on the role of a vizier, serving the gods and maintaining the social order of Naktamun. Or will you become a dissenter, turning against the city, the gods, and the will of the God-Pharaoh? If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Amonkhet sparked your interest in the wasted desert and thriving city of this plane, you can experience it yourself in these pages. Author James Wyatt leads the way through the Trials of the five gods with a set of rules to bring your Dungeons & Dragons adventures to life in Amonkhet, including new races, new monsters, new backgrounds, and cleric domains for each of the five gods.
If you like Magic: the Gathering, download this file and let us know if you think you could use it to run a D&D game with Amonkhet as the campaign setting.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 am

Big Mac wrote:Dragonhelm just pointed me at something interesting. :o :shock: :| :) :D :mrgreen:

Back in April 2016, Wizards of the Coast published an Plane Shift: Zendikar. Then in July 2016 Plane Shift: Innistrad was released via Dragon+ Magazine.

Now Wizards of the Coast have released Plane Shift: Amonkhet. Here is the blurb from the page:
You forgot Plane Shift: Kaladesh
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Between the four Plane Shift documents you almost have the start of a custom campaign world. It might take a little work to merge them into a coherent whole but it could be done. Add in Theros (ancient Greek themed world) and Fiora (Renaissance Italy themed world) and maybe one or two others and you have a workable setting I think.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 pm

AND it looks like we already know what the next Plane Shift article will be. If they follow the pattern of releasing a Plane Shift article each time they release an Art of Magic the Gather book our next visit will be to Ixalan
David Fryer

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I probably wouldn't play any of these settings straight-up, as I haven't played or followed Magic in years, but I'd certainly plunder them for material for a home game. Amonkhet looks like it could be easily mined for ideas for Green Ronin's Hamunaptra setting, if I ever decide to run Freeport in 5E.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [MtG][Amonkhet] Plane Shift: Amonkhet (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 am

dfryer36 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 am
Big Mac wrote:Dragonhelm just pointed me at something interesting. :o :shock: :| :) :D :mrgreen:

Back in April 2016, Wizards of the Coast published an Plane Shift: Zendikar. Then in July 2016 Plane Shift: Innistrad was released via Dragon+ Magazine.

You forgot Plane Shift: Kaladesh
:oops:

Thanks for letting me know Dave!

I've got a Plane Shift: Kaladesh topic up now.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [MtG][Amonkhet] Plane Shift: Amonkhet (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 am

timemrick wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm
I probably wouldn't play any of these settings straight-up, as I haven't played or followed Magic in years, but I'd certainly plunder them for material for a home game. Amonkhet looks like it could be easily mined for ideas for Green Ronin's Hamunaptra setting, if I ever decide to run Freeport in 5E.
Funny you should say that.

I'd be more likely to be using Amonkhet and Hamunaptra as destinations on "groundling worlds" in a Spelljammer game.

Ptah is one of the important deities in Spelljammer, but there just isn't enough Egyptian-like destinations in Spelljammer canon.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”