[Fantasy Earth] [HR2] Charlemagne's Paladins

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Fantasy Earth] [HR2] Charlemagne's Paladins

Post by Havard »

I've been toying with running a campaign in this era for a while now. I wonder if the upcoming Paladin RPG could be a nice supplement for a HR2 campaign?

Has anyone ran a campaign in the setting of Charlemagne's Court? What do you think about this sourcebook?

I think a combination of HR2 and HR1 Vikings could be quite interesting. Maybe even have a Trollborn PC show up?

Are there any other D&D/AD&D products or Dragon/Dungeon articles that lend themselves well to this setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Fantasy Earth] [HR2] Charlemagne's Paladins

Post by ripvanwormer »

The main character in Poul Anderson's novel Three Hearts and Three Lions was one of Charlemagne's paladins. The world of that novel inspired the Kingdom of Caer Sidi in Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

"The Dark Ages" in Dragon #257 and "Red Sails" in Dragon #290 cover this era in Britain and Russia, respectively.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

I'm pretty sure i recall seeing a Dragon Magazine article giving stats for the paladins (for 1E, so predating the HR series), but I'm on vacation so don't have access to my archive CDs. It stuck in my mind mostly because I knew very little about that legend cycle at the time, and the most memorable knight was a woman (Britomart).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

timemrick wrote:I'm pretty sure i recall seeing a Dragon Magazine article giving stats for the paladins (for 1E, so predating the HR series), but I'm on vacation so don't have access to my archive CDs. It stuck in my mind mostly because I knew very little about that legend cycle at the time, and the most memorable knight was a woman (Britomart).
"Lords and Legends" in Dragon #127, though it's Bradamante rather than Britomart.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

HR2 Charlemagne's Paladins Campaign Sourcebook is one of the HR books that I don't have yet.

I'll be interested to know what people suggest doing with this book, as it's one of the books where I've not figured out what I might get out of it.

I'm guessing that the book supports historical roleplaying without spells, but if this actually provides a setting for the 2e Paladin character class, I might be a lot more interested in it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Dragon #263 included an article called "Hearth & Sword," detailing the Saxon gods, which is relevant since the historical Charlemagne made it his mission to violently Christianize the Saxons, so you could have adventures where the Saxon gods are the enemies of the Carolingian state, perhaps teaming up with the Pharisee elves from Q1 to oppose Charlemagne's empire.

You could possibly use The Crusades and Al-Qadim Arabian Adventures to help flesh out the Emirate of Córdoba (Muslim Spain) in that era. HR7 The Crusades doesn't focus on this period, but it includes some minor discussion on Muslim Spain and the hero Roland.

One of Charlemagne's paladins, Ogier, is from Denmark, so there's a direct connection to the Viking parts of the world.

X2 Castle Amber details a province in a fantasy version of medieval France. While this module isn't intended to represent the Carolingian era, characters in a Carolingian campaign might still have reason to visit Averoigne. During Charlemagne's time, Averoigne would have been part of the province of Aquitaine in Francia and may have been part of the revolt against Charlemagne's rule early in his reign.

There's some overlap between Carolingian and Arthurian legend, so you might want to peruse Legends & Lore or another source detailing the Arthurian mythos. Arthur and his knights have been gone for some 300 years, but Morgan le Fey is still alive and Roland encounters her. One possible campaign might involve heroes from the Carolingian era rediscovering lost magic from the time of Camelot.

Another possible campaign might involve Charlemagne's wars against non-Christians stirring up ancient pagan forces, from the Saxon and Norse and Slavic gods to the Cthulhu mythos or the Red Death as well as various beings of Faerie and geniekind.

The climax of Michael Moorcock's novel Stormbringer involves Elric traveling across the planes to meet Charlemagne's paladin Roland. Player characters from other worlds may do something similar in order to procure Roland's horn during a multiversal crisis. It's possible you could tie Stephen King's The Dark Tower series into this, somehow. In Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen universe, Roland is the same person as Virginia Woolf's Orlando.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Big Mac wrote:I'm guessing that the book supports historical roleplaying without spells
It supports a number of different modes of play, from "the Historical Campaign," where "the visible effects of magic must be far more subtle than those found in a more typical AD&D campaign" to "the Legendary Campaign," in which "spells and magical effects are somewhat restricted," to "the Fantasy Campaign," where "except for some restrictions on player characters and magical items, players are expected to use their PCs pretty much like they would in any other AD&D game setting."
but if this actually provides a setting for the 2e Paladin character class, I might be a lot more interested in it.
This setting has little to do with the 2e paladin character class, although this class is permitted in legendary or fantasy campaigns (not in historical campaigns).

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I run a few long adventures with great satisfaction using the "Orlando Furioso" ruleset (see my review in Italian here: http://www.librogame.net/index.php/rece ... il&rid=333 ).
I also published a couple of that long adventures for that setting / ruleset on the same site ( http://www.librogame.net/index.php/down ... do-furioso ), as the setting is so inspiring that you immediately start thinking about adventures.
I think it is absolutely brilliant (the ruleset is a perfectly fine d6, the setting is outstanding), but if you can't read Italian I can't help you much.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron »

If you're interested in acquiring a copy of the book, I have one I'd be willing to use in trade, or sell.

Return to “Other Worlds”