What is the most obsure D&D campaign setting?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

Re: What is the most obsure D&D campaign setting?

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Blackleaf wrote:Some of these look cool, thanks y'all.

Feel free to start new topics (in Other Worlds) for any campaign setting that doesn't have a bespoke forum at The Piazza (yet).

If you can add a forum tag (e.g. "[Arda]" that will help other people find the topic, with the forum search system. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

dulsi wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:Arda and the Lost World, from Ray Winninger's Dungeoncraft column in Dragon Magazine, are two settings that are pretty darned obscure. Arda was a world where illithids were created by the moon as a replacement for humanity and the Lost World was a world with dinosaur gods. The columns are archived here: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dnd/dungeoncraft/

Blackleaf is thanking you guys. Meanwhile I'm thinking dammit now I have to track down some old dragon magazines. :)

Well that's good, as I'll have at least on person to talk to Arda about, if you do look that stuff up. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:In Dragon Magazine (February 2007 issue) interpreted China Miévilles' world of Perdido Street Station books to the D&D 3.5 rules. The Player's Handbook for the Fifth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons cited his Perdido Street Station novels as a source of inspiration for the game's designers.

China refers to characters in his novels are interested "only in gold and experience."

Indeed, Perdido Street Station draws a quite a bit from D&D in terms of inspiration, and makes for an interesting setting. I wouldn't consider it as "obscure", but then I'm a big fan of Mieville.

How many books did Mieville write for this setting? I know there was at least one spin off novel?

Thanks Angel.

Perdido Street Station might not be obscure, as a novel line, but if there is only one magazine article about using it as a tabletop RPG setting, that's probably fairly obscure. China Miéville has actually worked on a Pathfinder RPG book, called Pathfinder Chronicles: Guide to the River Kingdoms, so perhaps he might do a Bas-Lag Roleplaying Game one day.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby GreyLord » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm not sure if this would count or not. It wasn't fully fleshed out, and was under the table so to speak. It used all the AD&D nomenclature, stats, classes and other things, but I don't think it officially notated that it was connected to AD&D.

Willow (as in the film) is a D&D world. It has a The stats and everything else for characters (for example Bavmorda is a MU 30, S9 C15 I18 D16 W18 CH12. Kael's level is interesting in that it is listed as 14th level or 2 levels higher than your campaign's best fighter. However, that is beaten prior to that by MadMartigan who is listed as a 20th level fighter or 3 levels above the best fighter in your campaign (s14 C16 I13 D18 W9 CH17 HP70.

It's the Willow Sourcebook by Allen Varney.
GreyLord
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 am

Big Mac wrote:Perdido Street Station might not be obscure, as a novel line, but if there is only one magazine article about using it as a tabletop RPG setting, that's probably fairly obscure. China Miéville has actually worked on a Pathfinder RPG book, called Pathfinder Chronicles: Guide to the River Kingdoms, so perhaps he might do a Bas-Lag Roleplaying Game one day.
It would be fairly cool if he did, and I would be more than happy to snatch it up and add it to my collection.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

GreyLord wrote:I'm not sure if this would count or not. It wasn't fully fleshed out, and was under the table so to speak. It used all the AD&D nomenclature, stats, classes and other things, but I don't think it officially notated that it was connected to AD&D.

Willow (as in the film) is a D&D world. It has a The stats and everything else for characters (for example Bavmorda is a MU 30, S9 C15 I18 D16 W18 CH12. Kael's level is interesting in that it is listed as 14th level or 2 levels higher than your campaign's best fighter. However, that is beaten prior to that by MadMartigan who is listed as a 20th level fighter or 3 levels above the best fighter in your campaign (s14 C16 I13 D18 W9 CH17 HP70.

It's the Willow Sourcebook by Allen Varney.

Wow! The Willow Sourcebook is expensive! :o

It looks like it's by Tor Books, and I don't see a D&D logo, so it's probably unofficial (and so from the point-of-view of this topic, probably not counted). But I would be interested in seeing if anyone has played it. (I wonder if Tor Books would be allowed to bring it back as a Print on Demand thing or if they had a licence that has since expired.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 pm

« The Fall of Arkinor » is an extremely obscure AD&D 1e setting. It was never published and played by only 4 teenagers and me as a DM !!! :D :D :D ;)
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Previous

Return to Other Worlds