What is the most obsure D&D campaign setting?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What is the most obsure D&D campaign setting?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Blackleaf wrote:Some of these look cool, thanks y'all.
Feel free to start new topics (in Other Worlds) for any campaign setting that doesn't have a bespoke forum at The Piazza (yet).

If you can add a forum tag (e.g. "[Arda]" that will help other people find the topic, with the forum search system. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

dulsi wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:Arda and the Lost World, from Ray Winninger's Dungeoncraft column in Dragon Magazine, are two settings that are pretty darned obscure. Arda was a world where illithids were created by the moon as a replacement for humanity and the Lost World was a world with dinosaur gods. The columns are archived here: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dnd/dungeoncraft/
Blackleaf is thanking you guys. Meanwhile I'm thinking dammit now I have to track down some old dragon magazines. :)
Well that's good, as I'll have at least on person to talk to Arda about, if you do look that stuff up. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:In Dragon Magazine (February 2007 issue) interpreted China Miévilles' world of Perdido Street Station books to the D&D 3.5 rules. The Player's Handbook for the Fifth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons cited his Perdido Street Station novels as a source of inspiration for the game's designers.

China refers to characters in his novels are interested "only in gold and experience."
Indeed, Perdido Street Station draws a quite a bit from D&D in terms of inspiration, and makes for an interesting setting. I wouldn't consider it as "obscure", but then I'm a big fan of Mieville.
How many books did Mieville write for this setting? I know there was at least one spin off novel?
Thanks Angel.

Perdido Street Station might not be obscure, as a novel line, but if there is only one magazine article about using it as a tabletop RPG setting, that's probably fairly obscure. China Miéville has actually worked on a Pathfinder RPG book, called Pathfinder Chronicles: Guide to the River Kingdoms, so perhaps he might do a Bas-Lag Roleplaying Game one day.

GreyLord
Goblin

Post by GreyLord » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm not sure if this would count or not. It wasn't fully fleshed out, and was under the table so to speak. It used all the AD&D nomenclature, stats, classes and other things, but I don't think it officially notated that it was connected to AD&D.

Willow (as in the film) is a D&D world. It has a The stats and everything else for characters (for example Bavmorda is a MU 30, S9 C15 I18 D16 W18 CH12. Kael's level is interesting in that it is listed as 14th level or 2 levels higher than your campaign's best fighter. However, that is beaten prior to that by MadMartigan who is listed as a 20th level fighter or 3 levels above the best fighter in your campaign (s14 C16 I13 D18 W9 CH17 HP70.

It's the Willow Sourcebook by Allen Varney.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 am

Big Mac wrote:Perdido Street Station might not be obscure, as a novel line, but if there is only one magazine article about using it as a tabletop RPG setting, that's probably fairly obscure. China Miéville has actually worked on a Pathfinder RPG book, called Pathfinder Chronicles: Guide to the River Kingdoms, so perhaps he might do a Bas-Lag Roleplaying Game one day.
It would be fairly cool if he did, and I would be more than happy to snatch it up and add it to my collection.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 pm

GreyLord wrote:I'm not sure if this would count or not. It wasn't fully fleshed out, and was under the table so to speak. It used all the AD&D nomenclature, stats, classes and other things, but I don't think it officially notated that it was connected to AD&D.

Willow (as in the film) is a D&D world. It has a The stats and everything else for characters (for example Bavmorda is a MU 30, S9 C15 I18 D16 W18 CH12. Kael's level is interesting in that it is listed as 14th level or 2 levels higher than your campaign's best fighter. However, that is beaten prior to that by MadMartigan who is listed as a 20th level fighter or 3 levels above the best fighter in your campaign (s14 C16 I13 D18 W9 CH17 HP70.

Wow! The Willow Sourcebook is expensive! :o

It looks like it's by Tor Books, and I don't see a D&D logo, so it's probably unofficial (and so from the point-of-view of this topic, probably not counted). But I would be interested in seeing if anyone has played it. (I wonder if Tor Books would be allowed to bring it back as a Print on Demand thing or if they had a licence that has since expired.)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 pm

« The Fall of Arkinor » is an extremely obscure AD&D 1e setting. It was never published and played by only 4 teenagers and me as a DM !!! :D :D :D ;)
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am

One I was reminded of recently and has been on my to run list a long time is “The Sunset World”. (Dragon Magazine 150). A A group of interplanar explorers discovers a new odd world. This world where the sun hovers in the horizon seems the be the cool dim homeworld of the illithids. Certainly the animal life seems to have similar biology to illuthids (including greater cunning than Earthly animals) and the plant life is odd. However, some humanoids survive in hiding and the explorers begin to realise this is not the mind flayer homeworld but a ‘regular’ D&D homeworld the illithid have ‘terraformed’. The article ends with the speculation that the explorer’s homeworld days are growing longer...
Chilling.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Looking over this thread again, and surprised that no one has mentioned Chanak. Pretty sure it is the most obscure "official" D&D world. Only mentioned in one AD&D 2E book, Creative Campaigning.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:29 am

There's a setting I'm vaguely interested in called Mindshadows. It was made for Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas line in 3rd edition. It's inspired by Indian mythology, but also has a big heaping of psionics going on, and also has a lot of mech combat happening for some reason.
It had two books, Mindshadows, the proper setting book, and Monsters of the Mind, a bestiary, of which I've only read the former.

EDIT: Links!
https://www.amazon.com/Mythic-Vistas-Mi ... 1932442006 for Mindshadows.
https://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Mind-Ke ... 97267568X/ for Monsters of the Mind.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Aelos could possibly work as Mystara far past (with quite a few adaptations, including Blackmoor) specially because it involves time travel and history manipulation, but, if you look at the canon, is another, distant, planet.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Saltwater1 wrote:There's a setting I'm vaguely interested in called Mindshadows. It was made for Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas line in 3rd edition. It's inspired by Indian mythology, but also has a big heaping of psionics going on, and also has a lot of mech combat happening for some reason.
It had two books, Mindshadows, the proper setting book, and Monsters of the Mind, a bestiary, of which I've only read the former.
Naranjan (the land in which Mindshadows is set) is considered to be part of the World of Freeport, so it still gets mentioned occasionally in that product line.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Looking over this thread again, and surprised that no one has mentioned Chanak. Pretty sure it is the most obscure "official" D&D world. Only mentioned in one AD&D 2E book, Creative Campaigning.
«quote : I have been thinking about science fantasy games, esp those that would fit within 1e AD&D. Ironically I found one, a rather nifty one I had forgotten (like almost everyone else). Chanak is found in Creative Campaigning, a 2e DM sourcebook. It is similar to Ravenloft and Oathbound in that the setting takes people, creatures and things from other worlds. There is even a civilization based on Vikings taken from Earth. The difference is Chanak is based on technology rather than magic. It has magic, just as abundant as any D&D setting, but those who created the pocket universe Chanak is found is are pretty much PL 10+ with little magical abilities (not that it matters much at that level of tech). The world is littered with technology and magic items. Creatures from almost any setting or game can be found somewhere on Chanak or may appear in mid play. The rulers keep adding to their collection... »

WOW never heard of that one.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 am

dulsi wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 pm
ripvanwormer wrote:Arda and the Lost World, from Ray Winninger's Dungeoncraft column in Dragon Magazine, are two settings that are pretty darned obscure. Arda was a world where illithids were created by the moon as a replacement for humanity and the Lost World was a world with dinosaur gods. The columns are archived here: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dnd/dungeoncraft/
Blackleaf is thanking you guys. Meanwhile I'm thinking dammit now I have to track down some old dragon magazines. :)
If you can find it, try to get the Dragon Magazine CD Archive. I won't ever give up my copy.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:38 am

GreyLord wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm
I'm not sure if this would count or not. It wasn't fully fleshed out, and was under the table so to speak. It used all the AD&D nomenclature, stats, classes and other things, but I don't think it officially notated that it was connected to AD&D.

Wow, I've never heard of that book. I think we have a winner for most obscure D&D setting even if it's not official. Here's a review: http://yetanotherfriggingamingblog.blog ... ebook.html

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like it wasn't meant to be officially tied to AD&D, but it's really close.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:41 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm
Looking over this thread again, and surprised that no one has mentioned Chanak. Pretty sure it is the most obscure "official" D&D world. Only mentioned in one AD&D 2E book, Creative Campaigning.
I love Chanak! So much so that all the races described for it became part of Kulan. It also exists in my homebrewed cosmology.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 am
If you can find it, try to get the Dragon Magazine CD Archive. I won't ever give up my copy.
I already grabbed a copy of that a long time ago. Unfortunately they haven't made a #251+ CD archive. :)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm

dulsi wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm
Knightfall wrote:
I already grabbed a copy of that a long time ago. Unfortunately they haven't made a #251+ CD archive. :)
The Dragon Magazine CD Archive is an amazing resource. Sadly it resulted in some bad rights issues situations, which I suppose is why we haven't seen anything like that since. OTOH, I believe you can buy most later issue magazines individually from Paizo and/or Drivethru?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:31 pm

dulsi wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm
Knightfall wrote:
Whoops.

I missed that the articles in question were from after the time of of the archive. :P
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 pm

I feel like every little Dungeon Magazine adventure that isn’t specifically set in one of the published settings is a mini setting of its own. For example the land of Mechica from Dragon n Magazine 70
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Return to “Other Worlds”