[Href] HR7 The Crusades

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Href] HR7 The Crusades

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 pm

What are people's opinions of this book? I think this is one of those historical settings that might make some players feel uncomfortable. Proabably even more so now than when the book was published. I could see a campaign where it was made pretty clear that both sides of the Crusades were good and that some true evil force was manipulating them from behind the scenes.

Another option I could see is running a campaign with the Crusades as a backdrop, but set somewhere else. Perhaps a mash up with a Robin Hood Campaign?

Another idea that could be cool to play with is an idea from the graphic novel Marvel 1602 where it is revealed that the secret treasure of the Templars is actually the Hammer of Thor. It could be a fun way to combine HR7 the Crusades with HR1 Vikings.

Edit: See also this thread about Arabian Adventures reosurces.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Re: [Href] HR7 The Crusades

Post by Illuminatus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

I’ve never read that resource, but for a long time I’ve toyed with the idea of a campaign set in a fantasy version of Outremer (the Crusader States.) What really attracts me is the potential to use both European and Al-Qadim AD&D content side by side with no cognitive dissonance. Outremer was a cultural crossroads in real life, and a DM could make it even moreso by jiggering the fantasy geography to bring Central Asian and sub-Saharan African areas even closer. Oriental Adventures material could be introduced via a “Silk Road.” If you want a wide variety of class and race options for your players, Outremer is the way to go!

Plus I gotta say: Templar/Hospitaller-inspired Paladin Orders vs. a more historically accurate Order of Assassins? COOL! Or even a team-up against a common monstrous enemy? DOUBLE COOL!!

As far as the potential to be offensive, I would consider it my responsibility as a DM to not be demeaning or to take sides in a conflict between obvious stand-ins for real human ethnic groups. (As with so many things in life, the one cardinal rule “don’t be a dick” solves 90% of problems.) But if someone is offended by the mere concept of the setting: not my problem. Now that I think about it, the “Common Monstrous Enemy” idea would also go a long way toward resolving any issues of ethnocentrism. (Desert version of White Walkers, anyone?)
Last edited by Illuminatus on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I liked reading it, and thought it merged well with Al-Qadim. Of course, Steve Kurtz is credited with Crusades and was prolific in AQ, so that makes sense.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Oh, and I've always *loved* the Pardoner kit. LN, arcane spellcasting, religious chisiler? HOLY BARD!

That one would be a lot of fun to play.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 am

Illuminatus wrote:Now that I think about it, the “Common Monstrous Enemy” idea would also go a long way toward resolving any issues of ethnocentrism. (Desert version of White Walkers, anyone?)
This is a cool idea.

One possibility: the background of the Masque of the Red Death setting has the opposition to the Red Death's power shatter with the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, fragmenting into independent orders in the aftermath. A campaign might be built around attempting to reunite the knowledge and resources of the various fragmented qabals, including the Knights Templar and the Hashshashin, against the true horrors invading the world, with the Crusades as a background. Dragon Magazine #249 has some ideas for a horror-themed crusades-era campaign, including stats for corrupted undead crusader knights.

It's easiest to avoid the theological implications of the Crusades if you avoid including angels (fallen or unfallen) in the campaign, or if angels appear rarely and say little.

Or you could take inspiration from the In Nomine RPG, where the angels themselves were divided on the question of which, if any, flavor of monotheism to favor.

Return to “Other Worlds”