[Diablo][RPGA] Grudge Match

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Diablo][RPGA] Grudge Match

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Has anyone played the RPGA Adventurer's Guild module for Diablo II called Grudge Match?

According to the Arcaeum's Adventurer's Guild Index, it links into Diablo II: The Awakening.

What do you think of the adventure? How well does it fit into The Awakening? Is it a prequel to that or a sequel?

Is Grudge Match related to anything that happens in the Diabo II computer game (or another Diablo computer game) or is it something new to D&D?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Diablo][RPGA] Grudge Match

Postby Alzrius » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 am

Looking my copy of the PDF over, this is a mini-module that's meant to act as an introduction to the AD&D 2E incarnation of Diablo II. It opens with a notation about how this adventure plays differently from most adventures, and includes large sections of rules summarizing and reprinting material from Diablo II: The Awakening, and includes unnamed sample characters for the players to run.

The adventure is named Grudge Match because its opening presentation is that the PCs have tracked down the monsters that destroyed their hometown while they were away doing an errand for the mayor of a nearby village. They've now tracked the monsters responsible for the massacre to an abandoned temple, and are getting ready to settle the score.

Despite this, the adventure flat-out says that it's meant to be run in a manner similar to the computer game, to the point where it says that when PCs die, they vanish (leaving their gear behind) and respawn nearby, complete with non-magical copies of their gear and their spells replenished! The book says that if you want, you can "step a little outside the box" and run the adventure like a real campaign, tracking XP gained and such. That makes it pretty clear that this isn't intended to be the start of something greater, unto itself.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby apotheot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:03 am

I ran it a little over a year ago. Everything Alzrius says is correct, and as a 'tabletop version of the computer game' it was VERY slow to play. Virtually everything required multiple rolls. There was also very little plot to go on, even compared to the other Adventurers Guild modules. Good to have for completion, but not the best adventure in the world.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm

I have to say that some of these design decisions seem a little weird. I guess there's nothing wrong with experimenting a little in an RPGA module, but I wonder why anyone would want to use an RPG to simulate such video-gamish features as characters respawing etc?

I am wondering how much Blizzard had to say over these products.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Other Worlds