[Star Trek] Preferred era for RPG

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Star Trek] Preferred era for RPG

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 am

What's your prerred era for a Star Trek RPG campaign? Do you prefer placing your games around the time of the original series or later? or perhaps exploring some of the earlier eras like those explored in the Enterprise series or that of the current Discovery series?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Star Trek] Preferred era for RPG

Postby Coronoides » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:18 pm

My preference is not really time but space. Specifically unexplored space beyond the Federation. The original 7 year mission had the right idea but didn’t follow through. Voyager is my favourite.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Bugbear

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:58 pm

I'm with Coronoides. While I have liked TNG, DS9, admittedly Voyager is my favorite. Enterprise fun, but is chock full of temporal malfeasance. I have a lot of respect for TOS, but find it the hardest of all the tv series to watch. As per the new movies and tv show, I am less than thrilled with the new timeline and have no desire to invest in it any further.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby willpell » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 pm

I for one do not ever believe in "prequelitis", so if I were to try and do anything in the Star Trek universe, it would either happen post-Nemesis, or post-Voyager on the assumption that Nemesis has been thrown out of canon (which is likely deserved; I'm one of the most generous critics of sci-fi movies you can find, and even I remember Nemesis being pretty bad, if not quite as bad as some people would say it is). I'm not capable of forgetting how the storyline turned out, so anything that had ever happened in the show would be part of the backstory that I would expect people to be generally familiar with.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 pm

I think RPGs have different requirements than TV shows and movies. Recognizable imagery is incredibly important in an RPG. I also think one advantage of setting a game in one of the earlier eras has the advantage of not having to deal with the incredibly advanced technology of the Star Trek universe. How many scenarios could not be solved by a simple beaming down and up again? I think allowing the PCs to experience some of the classic Star Trek situations as if they were things that were happening more or less for the first time in the history of the universe could be beneficial. These were reasons why I had high hopes for the Federation series, alas that was not to be. I still think this could work well in an RPG though.

I have just started watching Discovery, but still evaluating whether that would make for an interesting RPG setting :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boneguard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:47 am

I play Prime Directive RPG (either original or GURPS version) which is firmly set in the same Universe as the Original Series.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby JamesMishler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 am

TOS TV/Animated Era, using the FASA RPG, with lots of exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Though some good old-fashion TOS Movie Era Triangle skullduggery also makes for a fun campaign!
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Havard wrote:Image

What's your prerred era for a Star Trek RPG campaign? Do you prefer placing your games around the time of the original series or later? or perhaps exploring some of the earlier eras like those explored in the Enterprise series or that of the current Discovery series?

That actually looks like a timeline of when the various shows/movies were made, rather than the fictional years that they were all set in.

Memory Alpha has a Timeline that might be a bit more useful to you.

I think that ToS and the animated series are probably the best era for true Star Trek. Enterprise gives you a kind of proto-Federation that isn't truely formed yet.

If people want to go for the proto-Federation thing, they might want to consider running a game set in the era of the Eugenics Wars, have their PCs chasing characters like Khan around in sleeper ships and then have their pre-Federtion PCs sleep their way into the Enterprise era or ToS era, so that they can roleplay in both the pre-Federation era and the post-Federation era. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ghendar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 pm

JamesMishler wrote:TOS TV/Animated Era, using the FASA RPG, with lots of exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Though some good old-fashion TOS Movie Era Triangle skullduggery also makes for a fun campaign!

I agree. While exploring the Delta quadrant in Voyager's time is intriguing, the open endedness of TOS universe is more intriguing. "To boldly go where no one has gone before..." indeed!
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Another reason why I like the idea of a game set in the TOS era (or thereabout) is that I would like having the Klingons as villains.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:If people want to go for the proto-Federation thing, they might want to consider running a game set in the era of the Eugenics War

The best thing about the Eugenics Wars is that they happened during the 1990s. So retro!
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

I think the Delta Quadrant would have been a cool area of space to explore, at least prior to Voyager. While I barely watched any episodes of that show past the first few, everything I did see left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would pretty much ignore anything from that series (other than the Borg, which preceded it).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Falconer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:46 am

TOS-era is IMO the most iconic and accessible, with the least build-up of backstory and the widest-open universe for exploration and adventure. I like the time period of The Cage for certain purposes, but, by and large I would tend to begin a campaign immediately post-TOS (and even post-TAS, for all that it matters), just to avoid even the remote possibility of stepping on any canon.
Falconer
Troll

Postby finarvyn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Falconer wrote:TOS-era is IMO the most iconic and accessible, with the least build-up of backstory and the widest-open universe for exploration and adventure. I like the time period of The Cage for certain purposes, but, by and large I would tend to begin a campaign immediately post-TOS (and even post-TAS, for all that it matters), just to avoid even the remote possibility of stepping on any canon.

My take on it as well. I think that TOS has some "wild west" style elements that get lost in later Trek, where ships don't break down as much and everything is so much cleaner and streamlined. TOS-era has hostile bad guys, cold war espionage, and other fun plot elements to explore.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box
finarvyn
Orc

Postby ghendar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 pm

ghendar wrote:
JamesMishler wrote:TOS TV/Animated Era, using the FASA RPG, with lots of exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before...

I agree. While exploring the Delta quadrant in Voyager's time is intriguing, the open endedness of TOS universe is more intriguing. "To boldly go where no one has gone before..." indeed!

Just to expand on my thoughts (you were chomping at the bit, admit it ;) ) the idea of exploring the Delta Quadrant would be kinda like adventuring in the Forgotten Realms but being on the other side of the planet. If I want to play in FR, I want it to be in familiar areas. Same with Star Trek. Give me the Alpha Quadrant but in the TOS time when a lot less was known.

ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby BlackBat242 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 am

My preference would be a Pike-era game, with TOS/TAS as second.

I see no problem with "canon", as not only do I not have an obsession with exactly following everything in the shows as one would the tenets of a religion, but there was enough going on in many areas that any intelligent DM can create game scenarios that do not intersect with any of the shows.

I personally loath almost everything about the series Enterprise, and think that any games properly set in TNG would much too much of a game of Diplomacy rather than one of exploration/encounter/etc.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby ghendar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:54 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
I personally loath almost everything about the series Enterprise, and think that any games properly set in TNG would much too much of a game of Diplomacy rather than one of exploration/encounter/etc.

That's only because TNG didn't play up the exploration angle like TOS did. There is still a ton of unexplored Alpha Quadrant in TNG time. A game set in TNG time could easily go the 5 year mission route like TOS did.

ghendar
Hill Giant

Return to Other Worlds