[Star Trek] Star Fleet Universe

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Star Trek] Star Fleet Universe

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm

I think it was someone here at The Piazza who first told me about the Star Fleet Universe, which is the setting of the Prime Directive RPG. Here's what Wikipedia says about this setting universe:

Wikipedia wrote:The Star Fleet Universe (SFU) is the variant of the Star Trek fictional universe detailed in the series of Star Fleet Battles games (board-, card-, and role-playing) from Amarillo Design Bureau Inc. and used as reference for the Star Trek: Starfleet Command series of computer games. Its source material stems from the original and animated series of Star Trek as well as from other "fan" sources, such as Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual. In addition, it also includes a substantial number of new races and technologies, such as the Hydran Kingdom, the Inter-Stellar Concordium and the Andromedans.

Star Fleet Battles was based on the Star Trek universe as of 1979[1] and includes elements of Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Animated Series. Federation elements were heavily based on concepts from The Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual. Unlike the mainstream Star Trek universe, Star Fleet Battles seems to consider some, but not all of The Animated Series, as being a canon material source, thus leading to the inclusion of aliens such as the Kzinti, which had originally been created for a non-Trek story series.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Universe

So here's my question. For an RPG campaign, would you prefer the standard Star Trek unvierse or the Star Fleet Universe? What would make you chose one over the other when keeping purely an RPG experience in mind?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Star Trek] Star Fleet Universe

Postby Boneguard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:39 pm

I personally prefer Star Fleet Universe over Modern Star Trek Universe as Star Fleet Universe is the universe and the concepts of Star Trek the Original Serie.

Only the Romulus have cloaking devise, Klingon look human-like, the Quadrants goes from Alpha to Omega is a clockwise circle (the Federation is in the border of Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Romulan and Gorn are in the Alpha Quadrants, Klingon and Lyran on the Beta Side, Thailand are also straddling the line IIRC), Orion Pirates etc.

The just feels more true to me
Last edited by Boneguard on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Falconer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 pm

For roleplaying, I try to emulate the themes, mood, and tech of TOS. I think it’s the baseline and common ground of what makes Trek Trek. Communicators, transporters, warp speed… simple. Everyone groks it. There is plenty out there to expand with—five other TV series, over a dozen movies, hundreds of novels, dozens of supplements for various RPGs, etc., and, I probably take a little from here and a little from there, but by and large it’s not very important. The SFU is in some ways very, very detailed, almost over-detailed. But what I do like about it is that it is very useful for TOS-era gaming in that it has a lot of info about the various kinds of ships for the Federation and the various empires out there which is pretty solid in its consistency, variety, and comprehensiveness. And what Boneguard said. I have the old Federation Space board game, and it gives a good and gamable map. I also really love the old Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph, and because the SFU builds on it rather than rejecting it, it is a more sensible universe, IMO, than the one that gradually unfolded in TV scripts.
Falconer
Troll

Postby night_druid » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Were I to ever run a Star Trek game, I probably would use something like SFU as starting point, and build my own setting inspired by ST:TOS. With lots of changes, of course.

Main one I'd do is that ST is in the 23rd century...except its not 2200's AD, its 2200's AC (After Cocrane). Aka, the 23rd century of warp travel. Warp ships, using the "old scale", are still relatively slow, with many centuries of growth and learning between each "warp factor". It also puts the timeline on less of a hard time that becomes invalidated more and more with each passing year (by now the Eugenics Wars are not only over, but we should be colonizing the solar system) but instead gives it a "soft" starting point that may or may not be 10 years from now or 100 years from now. Also, most "alien" races are offshoots of humanity (klingons, vulcans, romulans) that settled on earth-like worlds many centuries ago.

Just my personal take on a star trek inspired universe, nothing more :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby willpell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Standard Star Trek universe, times 1000. I don't care how much content the alternative added, it's not remotely worth, oh I dunno, THE BORG and THE DOMINION WAR and DATA and THE DOCTOR, just off the top of my head.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Boneguard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 pm

willpell wrote:Standard Star Trek universe, times 1000. I don't care how much content the alternative added, it's not remotely worth, oh I dunno, THE BORG and THE DOMINION WAR and DATA and THE DOCTOR, just off the top of my head.

It is all relative.

To be honest, in my case, aside from a few nuggets (Augmented Human, the Aenar primarely) most of the Post-"Star Trek The Original Serie" material isn't that great...and what I want I can add it to the SFU easily enough.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby willpell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:45 pm

night_druid wrote:Were I to ever run a Star Trek game, I probably would use something like SFU as starting point, and build my own setting inspired by ST:TOS. With lots of changes, of course.

Main one I'd do is that ST is in the 23rd century...except its not 2200's AD, its 2200's AC (After Cocrane). Aka, the 23rd century of warp travel. Warp ships, using the "old scale", are still relatively slow, with many centuries of growth and learning between each "warp factor". It also puts the timeline on less of a hard time that becomes invalidated more and more with each passing year (by now the Eugenics Wars are not only over, but we should be colonizing the solar system) but instead gives it a "soft" starting point that may or may not be 10 years from now or 100 years from now. Also, most "alien" races are offshoots of humanity (klingons, vulcans, romulans) that settled on earth-like worlds many centuries ago.

Just my personal take on a star trek inspired universe, nothing more :)

I do like this idea.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

I'm a fan of the SFB/PD universe. Basically, ADB (the company who makes it) has a licenbce that allows them to use anbything from ST:TOS (excluding named characters an d named ships) as the basis for their game. Because they are not allowed to use anything from later Paramount Star Trek material, the universes have diverged in backgrounds.

For your home campaigns, there's no reason you can't combine the two of course. Swap out SFB Andromedans for Paramount's Borg if you like; the two fill more or less the exact same role, although Andromedans lack the body horror aspect of the Borg. Or have both. Maybe have an exploratory mission visit the Lesser Magellanic Cloud and report back on a five year mission.

Looking at it today, it serems that the internal atmosphere of ST:Discovery has something similar going on as what the SFB universe has - there's a definite wartime footing feel going on, just like the SFB Federation at the height of the General War. Of course, the two groups of Klingons are nothing alike. SFB Klingons are practical, basically non-religious, militaristic, with traces of a feudal social structure, make use of aliens in their crews, and look like ST:TOS Klingons.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Boneguard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I'm a fan of the SFB/PD universe. Basically, ADB (the company who makes it) has a licenbce that allows them to use anbything from ST:TOS (excluding named characters an d named ships) as the basis for their game. Because they are not allowed to use anything from later Paramount Star Trek material, the universes have diverged in backgrounds.

Yeah I know I wanted to get feedback for my Aenar and Augmented Human for my PD GURPS Game.

They were really nice and polite about it it, but even with changing the names to make it generic they felt it would be best to delete my post.

Thankfully kept a copy of them so I can still use them in my SF Universe.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Because the aenar are from ST:E and the augments are from the movies, neither can officially be used by ADB, and if they allowed them to be discussed on their forums, they might (1) endanger their licence. Fortunately, since we are under no such licencing agreement, I think they can be discussed here without issue (short of a formal C+D letter addressed to the site management).

I'm not sure of the SJG relationship with Prime Directive and ADB, but from past posts, I am under the impression that SJG considers the idea of 3rd party products using "powered by GURPS" to be a failed business project, with concerns about how closely those products stuck to the official GURPS rules (unike the d20 system, the GURPS licence didn't allow for the rules to be extended or modified), and some concerbns about production quality.

(1) Speculation. The exact details of thewir licence are not common knowledge.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Boneguard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Because the aenar are from ST:E and the augments are from the movies, neither can officially be used by ADB, and if they allowed them to be discussed on their forums, they might (1) endanger their licence. Fortunately, since we are under no such licencing agreement, I think they can be discussed here without issue (short of a formal C+D letter addressed to the site management).

That was essentially the gist of it. Although the appreaciated the creative aspect, they did want to toe the line and risk their licence.

Ashtagon wrote:I'm not sure of the SJG relationship with Prime Directive and ADB, but from past posts, I am under the impression that SJG considers the idea of 3rd party products using "powered by GURPS" to be a failed business project, with concerns about how closely those products stuck to the official GURPS rules (unike the d20 system, the GURPS licence didn't allow for the rules to be extended or modified), and some concerbns about production quality.

(1) Speculation. The exact details of thewir licence are not common knowledge.

That's interesting as, like the D20 Modern line, they have a quite vibrant line and available on e23 Warehouse
Under GURPS 3rd Ed., they had the Prime Directive corebook, the Klingon sourcebook and the Module Prime Alpha.
Under GURPS 4th Ed., they have the Prime Directive corebook, the Klingon sourcebook, the Romulan sourcebook and the Federation sourcebook.

The Away Team Log and 4 adventures Dread Pirate Aldo Planet Aldo Starship Aldo and The Temple of Terilek Prime are dual-Statted for GURPS 4th and D20 Modern

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Falconer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Aren’t augments from TOS: “Space Seed”?

I have been looking forward to Traveller Prime Directive, because I like the sort of crunch that Traveller involves (eg., deck plans) and would like to see the SFU take on that kind of RPG. However, development has been slow, like George R.R. Martin slow. Supposedly it has been announced to be published in 2017, but, I’m not holding my breath.
Falconer
Troll

Postby night_druid » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Falconer wrote:Aren’t augments from TOS: “Space Seed”?

Yes, although they were not named as such (they were just referred to as "genetically engineered super men). The term "Augment" originates, IIRC, with ST:Enterprise, at least on-screen, when the crew of the NX-01 met up with a few surviving augments who were not aboard the Botany Bay with Khan. Later, the genetic enhancements, or augmentation, was used on klingons, creating a virus that spread rapidly through their people. The main effect of which was to remove head-bumps and make the klingons look more human.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby finarvyn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not sure that this fits exactly into this particular thread, but I find it interesting that the SFU has changed somewhat between one board game and another. I love the FEDERATION SPACE map (and Lyran Space expansion from Nexus) but am not as thrilled with the revised map for FEDERATION & EMPIRE. While these are supposedly the same universe, FS has some nations with neutral zones and others without, while F&F puts a neutral zone in between all nations. Ugh.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box
finarvyn
Orc

Postby BlackBat242 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 am

Right. In TOS the "Neutral Zone" was a peculiar artifact of the Earth-Romulan War (and extended only between those two spheres of influence), and was a basically unique thing.

The establishment of a NZ between the Federation and the Klingon Empire was something that was hinted around (but never specifically mentioned) in TOS as existing after the imposition of the Treaty of Organia, but not before. It was specifically mentioned in the movies Star Trek II* & ST VII**.

There was never mention of a NZ for the Tholians, Gorn, etc.

* In the simulator run of the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

** Chancellor Gorkon and Kirk mention that if the Khitomer Accords are signed the NZ will be abolished.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Falconer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Just rewatched “Errand of Mercy” last night, and there is a mention of disputed areas (Organia being the only class M planet therein), with the Klingons claiming they are clearly in their empire.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Other Worlds