[Ixalan] X Marks The Spot A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Ixalan] X Marks The Spot A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm

DMs Guild have put up X MARKS THE SPOT A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure as a free download! Here is the blurb:
DMs Guild wrote:X MARKS THE SPOT A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure
From Wizards of the Coast

X Marks the Spot

A prison escape for an unlikely group of heroes turns into a race for an ancient relic sought by the Legion of Dusk. Can you brave the unknown and capture the treasure before the enemy does?

This Dungeons & Dragons adventure is set on the plane of Ixalan from Magic: The Gathering. It uses 4th-level characters provided with the adventure.

Note: No artwork, setting, or other material from the Plane Shift or other Magic: the Gathering products is allowed in the DMsGuild community content program. See the DMsGuild FAQ for more information.
The 28 page PDF is by Kat Kruger and Chris Tulach. The actual Plane Shift Ixalan, is going to be published later, so you would have to run this with whatever you can find online, if you are in a hurry.

The adventure is written for 5th Edition, but with the monsters and NPCs only being listed by name, and then documented in a separate appendix, I think that would make it a lot easier for a fan of another D&D edition to knock up a replacement Appendix A for different rules.

Appendix B has some cool pictures of places in Ixalan, and I think that you might want to take screen shots of those, or look for Ixalan pictures online, so that you can print each one out separately (or throw them up on Roll 20 or a projector or LCD TV.

Appendix C is a map of Ixalan. That's obviously useful. I'm not sure if there is a higher quality larger map online, but I'd recommend looking for one. (DMs Guild really should be investigating technology to sell people large Print on Demand maps.)

Appendix D is an interesting idea. It gives you some random, but appropriate treasure to hand out if the PCs win. They suggest you can use MtG cards, if you have them, but also provide a table.

Appendix E is some pre-gen charaacters (with pictures and character sheets). You could rewrite those for other rules, if you don't play 5e, or knock up new PCs with players, if you were not doing a one-shot tournament-style game.

I don't know if there are any plans for X Marks The Spot to get a sequel, but Plane Shift is exempt from the DMs Guild program, so that means that Kat Kruger and Chris Tulach could only write more of these with WotC's permission.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”