[Fallout] the Finger Lakes

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Lord Zack
Orc

[Fallout] the Finger Lakes

Post by Lord Zack » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I have been considering running a campaign in the setting of the Fallout crpgs. As you may know Fallout started out as a GURPS-based game, but that didn't work out, so it became it's own thing. But there have been some roleplaying games based on it, mostly unofficial. So Fallout has long been tied to tabletop gaming, so that's what inspires this aytempt. I will probably use GURPS for this campaign, but this thread is about the setting.

Fallout 4 of course is set in and around Boston, primarily. For this campaign I want to go to the west to my neck of the woods, the Finger Lakes region of Central New York. Mostly since it should be easier to use what I know for inspiration. Of course the Fallout world is different from our own, so many things will have changed. But it should be fun to reimagine the world around me through the lens of the post-apocalyptic retro future of Fallout.

Of course it is unlikely any of you will be as familar with the area as I am, I am hoping that at least some of you will be familiar with the Fallout series. Some ideas I have had is a resurgent Iroquois Confederacy being a major power. More than the typical tribals common in the Fallout series. Of course I want to treat this real world culture with respect. Another idea is that many of the cities in the area with classical names like Ithaca and Syracuse would have become new city-states like those of the Ancient Greeks. They would adopt some of the ways of the Ancient Greeks, like citizen soldiers in the vein of the Hoplites (but with modern equipment and tactics) and a more Ancient Greek style of democracy. The main question is why it would come to be this way. Fallout New Vegas had Caesar's Legion, but there were reasons why they did things the way they did.

The Dark
Troll

Re: [Fallout] the Finger Lakes

Post by The Dark » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:08 am

I've never been there, though it's on my list of places to visit (being an early aviation fan, anything Curtiss-related is on my to-visit list).

Some thoughts:
The Erie Canal would likely be a main artery for trade and defense in the region. It would be good as a northern border for the setting, with an unknown something on the other side (possibly an Enclave stronghold?).
Harriet Tubman's home would make an appropriate HQ for a local branch of the Underground Railroad, which would let you bring in .
There's a fair bit of Greek Revival architecture, between Skaneateles, Geneva, and Penn Yan, and they could be headquartered at Greek Peak Mountain Resort.
For soldiers of the Grecian League, skirmishers could be akontistai (peltats), either equipped with Legion-esque throwing spears or single-shot light rifles. Toxotai (archers) would be unarmored snipers, and rare, while hoplitai could be more heavily armored and have shotguns or SMGs or be more lightly armored and equipped with the few remaining assault rifles or mini-guns.
Water will be relatively plentiful, so possibly food shortages should balance that out from a healing item perspective.
Syracuse might refer to Super Mutants as Cardiff Giants, and Old Greeny needs to make an appearance.

Lord Zack
Orc

Post by Lord Zack » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:30 am

Having the Railroad be active in area makes sense. If the Railroad is active there are probably agents of the Institute and maybe the Brotherhood of Steel. I probably should have thought of incorporating the Harriet Tubman house, given that it is less than a mile from my house. Other locations in Auburn I've of using is Fort Hill Cemetary (with an actual fort being built on the site) and Hunter's Diner (which I strongly recommend should you visit Auburn at some point), as part of one of the settlements within the ruins of Auburn.

Bardsidhe
Goblin

Post by Bardsidhe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Remember that the Fallout Universe diverged from our own in the 1950's so any local landmarks of significance that post dates the 1950s would be absent, this would allow you to create your own land marks unique to the game. Any landmarks that predate the 1950's would be present or in ruins or even obliterated leaving perhaps only a crater.. that would be up to you.
I would avoid using groups from New Vegas except perhaps in a very small manner, perhaps the NCR are sending scouts across the country looking for potential allies/enemies...
but the Brotherhood would have a presence, even if not seen much people would know about them, I for one would certainly use the Enclave as part of the plot-line for a game,
even though they were defeated at Navarro, you can always use them as two Factions the old guard of the Enclave Remnants and a new wave of Enclave start ups seeking to reclaim what the Enclave once was, you can also borrow from FO4 with a bigger movement for the Commonwealth starting to spread its influence west from Boston.

personally I would not worry too much about Settlements from FO4 as a player thing, but I would allow weapon customization as seen in NV and 4. and probably allow some more detailed Armour customization than what FO4 had. I'd avoid to the Power Armour to begin with, even when I play through FO4 I avoid the amour leaving it at Sanctuary after gaining it from Preston's siege at Concord. I thought that came too fast and easy in FO4.

Also as a final note, I would make Ghoul a Player race. in the RPG version there should be no assumption that the players hail from a vault.
as a player of both Fallout and GURPS though it has been quite a while, I see no issues for you making this happen.

have fun!

Lord Zack
Orc

Post by Lord Zack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:24 pm

I wouldn't say that it is impossible for landmarks built after the fifties to exist in Fallout, just increasingly unlikely depending on how long after the fifties they were built. Though they might exist in different forms. For instance, even though Destiny USA only dates back to 1990, the concept of shopping malls is older. It is not impossible that some version of the site would exist and I am considering using it as an adventure site. Hunter's does actually date back to the fifties, though.

Lord Zack
Orc

Post by Lord Zack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

I think I am going to check my local library for resources on the region's history. Anybody know of any more general resources that might bw useful? Floorplans for 50s era buildings, Fallout stuff, information on Iroquois culture, etc?

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 pm

I believe there are some Nike and other bases around the finger lakes.
Also, if you want to emulate the Iroquois, you could have them kidnap folks and educate them/train them to live like the Iroquois (that's how they kept numbers up during the Revolutionary war).
Also, there are rumors the Vikings once were here too (and the odd finding of Norse items here/there). Not sure if that gives you anything.

Return to “Other Worlds”