No idea where this idea came from, but I was wondering if the setting of the Peter Pan movie(s)/play could work as an RPG setting, perhaps with a few changes.
A book, movie or theatre play has different requirements than an RPG setting. So there are a few things that I would change:
1) Size: Neverland is pretty much a fairy realm, but instead of endless woodlands or other fairytale landscapes, this setting is an island. In order to be able to make room for adventures, I would change it into an island chain though, not just a single island. It could even be an entire Plane of Existence, but I would focus on island based regions.
2) Native Americans: The inclusion of the Native Americans might have worked at some point, but I think today it could make many players uncomfortable. I could just remove them, but the setting needs complexity so I want to keep them with a few changes. Basically I want to change them into another group of Lost Kids (See below), but this group is lead by Tiger Lily. They will not be linked to any specific earth culture and like the other Lost Kids groups they will be of all ethnicities and cultures. Tiger Lily's dad should not appear as the only adult humans should be the pirates.
3) Lost Kids: They were called the Lost Boys in the original, but i would rather ditch the whole "boys only" concept to appeal to both male and female players. The Lost Boys concept seems to be a parallell to the old folklore tales of changelings and the Fey kidnapping babies. As long as the Lost Kids stay in Neverland they will never grow into adults and never die of old age. I would probably also consider Peter Pan to be a Lost Kid. Note that these kids aren't exactly children either. Some of them could be centuries old, but its just that they don't age physically and also remain children at heart. Some Lost Kids will be able to trap or befriend pixies to give them abilities like flying. Very few of them have ever managed to travel back to Earth however, and most of them don't really want to. I think the whole "use Pixies to get magic powers" could add a fun special effects dimension to the game. To add different factions to the setting, I would at least have three different Lost Kids groups:
- Peter Pan's Lost Kids
- Tiger Lilly's Lost Kids
- Rufio's Lost Kids: I think Rufio was introduced in the movie Hook as the kid who had taken over the Lost Boys when Peter Pan went back to earth and grew up. But I think we could have him have his own faction
Other creatures in this world
- Mermaids and Mermen: Not sure if these should be allowed
- Animals: Possibly talking animals too?
- Birds: Including some magical birds like the Neverbird