FASA's 1879 RPG

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

FASA's 1879 RPG

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:45 am

I flipped through this book at my local gaming store:
1879 Player's Guide wrote:The British Empire, suddenly finding itself with an interdimensional portal due to a Weird Science experiment gone awry, has discovered a new world, the Gruv, chock-full of resources and land to be exploited. In the process, though, they've run headlong into the Samsut, descendants of ancient Babylonians who've been living there for over three thousand years. Now, the might of the Empire clashes with the weird science of the Samsut. The Saurids, a reptilian race native to the new world, contest with both empires to retain their ancestral lands. Who will control the Gruv? Meanwhile, first in London and then around the world, magic has returned. In some cases, humans have changed, becoming elves, dwarves, snarks, and trolls. In others, mages, priests, and shamans have gained awe-inspiring powers. Weird Scientists build unexplainable devices. Technological leaps forward have given us British microsteam engines, Confederate Giffard airships, and Prussian lightning guns, with new world-changing inventions appearing every day. Dodgers skulk in the shadows, doing what reputable firms need to be able to deny. The British hold title to the Rabbit Hole and its access to the Gruv, but other nations have brought pressure to bear, and will not be denied their chance at the riches of the new world. Intrigue! Exploration! Giant insects! Battery-powered zombies! War in the New World and the threat of it in the Old! Where will all this end? That's for you to decide! 1879 is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian era of an alternate history, with low-level magic, high-level adventure, and vast possibilities as the Age of Steam gives way to the Age of Electricity. The 1879 Players Guide provides everything needed to play the game for characters in the Initiate, Novice, and Journeyman Tiers of advancement, from character generation to combat and from obscure magic to the latest in Victorian technology. An overview of the game world is included for player reference, along with multiple short fiction examples of the sorts of stories that can be told
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guide-FA ... 938869346/

Anyone know more about this RPG?

I thought the books were a little pricy considering the soft back print and b/w interior. On the other hand the setting sounds fascinating.

Furthermore, is this RPG connected to Earthdawn? The races appear very similar to those from Earthdawn and some concepts sound similar to those from Shadowrun, which at one point officially was connected to Earthdawn.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

FASA_Andrew
Goblin

Re: FASA's 1879 RPG

Post by FASA_Andrew » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi, I'm the line developer for 1879 at FASA Games Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of FASA Inc. The links to Earthdawn are overt and deliberate. We're using the same game mechanic, CoreStep, and some of the same races. The premise is similar to Shadowrun, in that there has been an Awakening, but the Rabbit Hole incident has pushed it back 140 years into an alternate-history late Victorian period, right at the crux between the Age of Steam and the Age of Electricity. The four Boojum races, Elves, Dwarves, Snarks, and Trolls, have only in the past year emerged from base-stock humanity. The Saurids have only been seen on the Grosvenor World thus far. Part of what we're doing is playing through the Awakening. Shadowrun picked up a generation afterwards, and Earthdawn thousands of years into the Fourth World. In 1879, we're looking at the impact of the Awakening on late 19th century culture and history. People are just beginning to realize that the Boojums are not victims of a disfiguring illness, but rather new species, that breed true. Darwin's work is being used and horribly abused in social arguments. In the meantime, Weird Science and magic have become part of life, and the Rabbit Hole leads to another world that of course the British Empire is colonizing, that's what Empires do.

Currently, the Players and GM's Guides are out, as well as the London sourcebook and the first in an adventure trilogy, Big Trouble in Little Soho. We're working on the Players and GM's Companions, which will expand the mechanics and game world, and give the players the tools to expand it themselves. Further books in draft include the remaining two in the Akkadian Connection adventure trilogy, Saurids on the Grosvenor Express and Deathless on the Nile, the Paris, Berlin, and New York sourcebooks, regional books on the Union and the Confederacy, and books covering Fort Alice in the Grosvenor World as well as the Saurids and the Samsut, both races of which will be playable characters with their own culture, professions, etc. If you're at GenCon, drop by our booth or play one of our demos and I'll give you an actual medal.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 pm

FASA_Andrew wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm
Hi, I'm the line developer for 1879 at FASA Games Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of FASA Inc.
Hi Andrew,
thank you so much for dropping by here and talking to us about this RPG!

If you have the time later and feel like it, you might want to introduce yourself to the rest of the Piazza family in the introduction thread.

The links to Earthdawn are overt and deliberate. We're using the same game mechanic, CoreStep, and some of the same races.
Very cool. I recognized some of the races from the illustrations and descriptions when I looked through the book in the store. Its been ages since I played Earthdawn, but it is a fascinating world. I really like how this both builds on the existing mythology and at the same time is its own thing.

The premise is similar to Shadowrun, in that there has been an Awakening, but the Rabbit Hole incident has pushed it back 140 years into an alternate-history late Victorian period, right at the crux between the Age of Steam and the Age of Electricity. The four Boojum races, Elves, Dwarves, Snarks, and Trolls, have only in the past year emerged from base-stock humanity. The Saurids have only been seen on the Grosvenor World thus far. Part of what we're doing is playing through the Awakening. Shadowrun picked up a generation afterwards, and Earthdawn thousands of years into the Fourth World. In 1879, we're looking at the impact of the Awakening on late 19th century culture and history. People are just beginning to realize that the Boojums are not victims of a disfiguring illness, but rather new species, that breed true. Darwin's work is being used and horribly abused in social arguments. In the meantime, Weird Science and magic have become part of life, and the Rabbit Hole leads to another world that of course the British Empire is colonizing, that's what Empires do.
Fascinating! I really like the idea of using the Awakening concept and setting it in a 19th Century world. Obsidimen were never in Shadowrun IIRC Will they ever make an appearence here? The Rabbit Hole/Grosvenor idea reminds me a little of Raymond E Feist's novels.

Currently, the Players and GM's Guides are out, as well as the London sourcebook and the first in an adventure trilogy, Big Trouble in Little Soho. We're working on the Players and GM's Companions, which will expand the mechanics and game world, and give the players the tools to expand it themselves. Further books in draft include the remaining two in the Akkadian Connection adventure trilogy, Saurids on the Grosvenor Express and Deathless on the Nile, the Paris, Berlin, and New York sourcebooks, regional books on the Union and the Confederacy, and books covering Fort Alice in the Grosvenor World as well as the Saurids and the Samsut, both races of which will be playable characters with their own culture, professions, etc.
Wow, so much material out already. That is great! It is fascinating that you are expanding on the setting. Grosvenor seems closely linked to the British Empire. Will other parts of the world also have their own things?

If you're at GenCon, drop by our booth or play one of our demos and I'll give you an actual medal.
I can't make it this year myself, but if anyone here at The Piazza do go, would you please do this and post a photo of yourselves with the medals here? :)

I am definitely buying this game now. Do I need both the Players Guide and the DM's Guide to run a game in the world?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

FASA_Andrew
Goblin

Post by FASA_Andrew » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 pm
Fascinating! I really like the idea of using the Awakening concept and setting it in a 19th Century world. Obsidimen were never in Shadowrun IIRC Will they ever make an appearence here? The Rabbit Hole/Grosvenor idea reminds me a little of Raymond E Feist's novels.
You may or may not see obsidimen and windlings. Sorry, spoilers!

The Rabbit Hole, and the trains running through it, do owe perhaps a little to Richard K. Lyon and andrew j offutt and their work Rails Across The Galaxy, as well as Galaxy Express 999, and Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, which has trains crisscrossing the galaxy through stable wormholes. However, there's also the fact that I'm a bit of a trainspotter and have a love of rail and the steam era :). The original concept of the Rabbit Hole came from Paul Reid and Martyn Tetlow at Ral Partha Europe, and L. Ross Babcock III and James Sutton of FASA. I was brought in to be the worldbuilder after the initial concept was created.
Havard wrote:
Wow, so much material out already. That is great! It is fascinating that you are expanding on the setting. Grosvenor seems closely linked to the British Empire. Will other parts of the world also have their own things?
There's only one Rabbit Hole, in Greenwich Park, which is causing considerable tension among the nations of Earth. Already, the Prussian Empire has won a concession from the British and has its own expansion into the Grosvenor Land. The French have made an appearance in a GenCon scenario, as have the Russians. The single point of access to the riches of an entire planet is a metaplot driver, and so you'll see further complications arise from the British Empire trying to retain control, if not of the Grosvenor World itself, at the very least the Rabbit Hole and the commerce pouring through it. There was another wormhole, a very long time ago, around the fall of Babylon, which is where the Samsut come from ... that will be explored in more depth in the Samsut book.
Havard wrote:
I am definitely buying this game now. Do I need both the Players Guide and the DM's Guide to run a game in the world?
To run the game, yes, you need both books, as the Bestiary is in the GM's Guide, as well as the in depth material on the game world. To play the game, you really only need the Players Guide. You can get these books in PDF, print, or bundle from our shop at http://fasagames.com/catalog, as well as from other sources such as DTRPG. If you order through our shop, and pop me a mail at andrew@fasagames.com mentioning the Piazza and this post, I'll have the distributor include the actual medal that's on the book cover.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:43 am

This sounds like an absolutely fascinating setting. I definitely want to get to get my hands on the Player's Guide and Game Master's Guide. I may try to convert it to Pathfinder 1E, inspiration and time permitting.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 pm

FASA_Andrew wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm
You may or may not see obsidimen and windlings. Sorry, spoilers!

The Rabbit Hole, and the trains running through it, do owe perhaps a little to Richard K. Lyon and andrew j offutt and their work Rails Across The Galaxy, as well as Galaxy Express 999, and Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, which has trains crisscrossing the galaxy through stable wormholes. However, there's also the fact that I'm a bit of a trainspotter and have a love of rail and the steam era :). The original concept of the Rabbit Hole came from Paul Reid and Martyn Tetlow at Ral Partha Europe, and L. Ross Babcock III and James Sutton of FASA. I was brought in to be the worldbuilder after the initial concept was created.
Fascinating! I had missed the part that there were trains going through the Rabbit Hole, which is awesome! Very appropriate for this type of setting.

There's only one Rabbit Hole, in Greenwich Park, which is causing considerable tension among the nations of Earth. Already, the Prussian Empire has won a concession from the British and has its own expansion into the Grosvenor Land. The French have made an appearance in a GenCon scenario, as have the Russians. The single point of access to the riches of an entire planet is a metaplot driver, and so you'll see further complications arise from the British Empire trying to retain control, if not of the Grosvenor World itself, at the very least the Rabbit Hole and the commerce pouring through it. There was another wormhole, a very long time ago, around the fall of Babylon, which is where the Samsut come from ... that will be explored in more depth in the Samsut book.
Fascinating! I love that there is more complexity to Earth as well rather than just all the cool stuff happening in the British Empire.

What are the Samsut? I saw some miniatures for them at the FASA web store...
Havard wrote:
To run the game, yes, you need both books, as the Bestiary is in the GM's Guide, as well as the in depth material on the game world. To play the game, you really only need the Players Guide. You can get these books in PDF, print, or bundle from our shop at http://fasagames.com/catalog, as well as from other sources such as DTRPG. If you order through our shop, and pop me a mail at andrew@fasagames.com mentioning the Piazza and this post, I'll have the distributor include the actual medal that's on the book cover.
Wow, that is a really awesome offer! I will look through my finances, but will probably try to get these books from the web store!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

FASA_Andrew
Goblin

Post by FASA_Andrew » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 pm

The Samsut are the lost Earther civilization that the British run headlong into in the Gruv. Apparently there was another Rabbit Hole, thousands of years ago, around the time of the fall of Babylon. The Babylonians, and later a bunch of Akkadians (whose language dominated) and Hittites went through it, and founded a new civilization on the Gruv. After a while, the wormhole closed, and was lost in myth. The Samsut, as they came to call themselves, found a trove of alien technology, that they assumed had been left by their gods, the Anunnaki. They sort of kind of figured out how to make some of it work, more or less. They now have battery powered undead. Among other spiffy items. They and the Brits hated each other on sight, for a variety of reasons.

You can find out a lot more about 1879 at http://fasagames.com in the 1879 weekly blog entries, including Actual Play posts that demonstrate the mechanics.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 am

FASA_Andrew wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 pm
They now have battery powered undead.
Oooh, Necropunk!! :cool: Very cool. Makes me even more interested in the setting now.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Return to “Other Worlds”