[MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23590
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

[MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Back in July last year, I spotted Plane Shift: Amonkhet, but dfryer36 pointed out that I missed Plane Shift: Kaladesh. :oops: I didn't notice at the time, but I've been trying to catch up with the M:tG topics now.

Tim Baker did start an Al-Qadim topic, called [MtG] Plane Shift: Kaladesh and Al-Qadim, but I've done a search and we still don't have a topic just about Plane Shift: Kaladesh, so here is one now.

Here is the blurb from the Wizards of the Coast page for Plane Shift: Kaladesh:
Plane Shift: Kaladesh at the Magic: The Gathering website wrote: Plane Shift: Kaladesh
By James Wyatt - 02/27/2017

The latest crossover between Magic: the Gathering and D&D visits the world of Kaladesh—a living work of art owing its bright existence to the tangible presence of aether.
  • "Welcome, one and all! Right this way! Open your eyes, your ears, and your imaginations to the wonders of the Inventors' Fair!"
    —Herald of the Inventors' Fair
If the optimism, innovation, and spirit of creativity pervading the world of Kaladesh kindled your drive for adventure, we have what you're looking for. If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Kaladesh made you long to experience the aether-swept landscapes and brilliant inventions of Magic's latest plane for yourself, these pages have what you need. Like a renegade inventor tinkering in a secluded workshop, author James Wyatt has crafted a set of rules to bring your Dungeons & Dragons adventures to life on Kaladesh, including new races, new monsters, and a distinctly aether-flavored take on crafting the marvelous and ingenious magic items that define this plane.

The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events.
Has anyone downloaded this? What do you think of the idea of running a D&D game with Kaladesh as a campaign setting?

OTHER PLANE SHIFT THREADS:
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am

I have all of the MtG/D&D crossover world setting PDFs, including this one. I've skimmed through it, paying most attention to any races or classes in each setting, but little attention to the world or creatures.

None of the MtG/D&D PDFs have new monster stats, preferring to re-skin them using existing monsters. The worlds are interesting, but most do not have enough for me to really grok them, with the exception of Ixalan, which I plan to use in the southern hemisphere of my home brewed world "Dakan Mar". Ixalan will be south of where I will place Chult, and will have that new world flavor going on. :cool:

I like the idea of a world of wizards using magic to invent things, but is it an analogue to D&D's own Eberron setting? Or is Eberron more 'steampunk'?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by timemrick » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Since you replied to my comment in the Amonkhet thread, Mac, here is the link to my blog post about using the Plane Shift series with Freeport.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3134
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by willpell » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Kaladesh is pretty much the least interesting plane MTG has ever invented. It LOOKS beautiful, without question, but if you don't have the art in front of your eyes, there's hardly anything worth talking about.
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
Ixalan will be south of where I will place Chult, and will have that new world flavor going on.
What about the "old world" vampires and pirates of the Ixalan setting, which are invading the "new world" with its merfolk and dinosaurs?

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 am

willpell wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 pm
Kaladesh is pretty much the least interesting plane MTG has ever invented. It LOOKS beautiful, without question, but if you don't have the art in front of your eyes, there's hardly anything worth talking about.
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
Ixalan will be south of where I will place Chult, and will have that new world flavor going on.
What about the "old world" vampires and pirates of the Ixalan setting, which are invading the "new world" with its merfolk and dinosaurs?
Yes, I plan on including those races too. My campaign world already has an Old World and a New World ready to be explored. Most of the Old Worlders are the regular D&D races - but the vampire write-up in the Ixalan PDF would fit well with the old world conqueror city-states & empires. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23590
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:43 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
I have all of the MtG/D&D crossover world setting PDFs, including this one. I've skimmed through it, paying most attention to any races or classes in each setting, but little attention to the world or creatures.

None of the MtG/D&D PDFs have new monster stats, preferring to re-skin them using existing monsters. The worlds are interesting, but most do not have enough for me to really grok them, with the exception of Ixalan, which I plan to use in the southern hemisphere of my home brewed world "Dakan Mar". Ixalan will be south of where I will place Chult, and will have that new world flavor going on. :cool:
That's a shame.

I suppose that the monster situation might change a bit when D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica gets published, but I bet they will still have some gaps.

I wonder if anyone has a list of Magic: The Gathering monsters and if there is a way to use Plane Shift: Kaladesh and/or other Plane Shift PDFs to work out rules for reskinning the non-reskinned monsters from D&D monster stats. :?

Have you looked for any online information about Kaladesh, that might fill in the gaps? I've been meaning to do a bit of research, but I'm still trying to get my head around how the Magic: The Gathering universe works.
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
I like the idea of a world of wizards using magic to invent things, but is it an analogue to D&D's own Eberron setting? Or is Eberron more 'steampunk'?
Eberron is not steampunk. It's inspired by Film Noir.

What you have there is a bunch of Houses that have members who are born with Dragonmarks that embue them with spell-like abilities. Keith Baker has said something along the lines of it being more like "wide magic" than "high magic". So you will have lots of streetlamps with continual light on them in large cities, but +5 magical swords will not be any more common than other campaign settings.

Does that still sound like Kaladesh to you?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by timemrick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
None of the MtG/D&D PDFs have new monster stats, preferring to re-skin them using existing monsters. The worlds are interesting, but most do not have enough for me to really grok them [...]
Some of them have a handful of stat blocks. Even Dominaria, which seems skimpier than most, has three (homarid and two kavus). Keep in mind that Wyatt was doing these in his spare time until recently, and making well-designed monster stat blocks is challenging.

I could wish for more world background as well (I haven't played MtG since the '00s) but the introductions of each document make it clear that they are meant to be companions to "The Art of [X]" series of books, which presumably present a lot more of the world lore.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: [MtG][Kaladesh] Plane Shift: Kaladesh (D&D/MtG crossover)

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:43 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
I have all of the MtG/D&D crossover world setting PDFs, including this one. I've skimmed through it, paying most attention to any races or classes in each setting, but little attention to the world or creatures.

None of the MtG/D&D PDFs have new monster stats, preferring to re-skin them using existing monsters. The worlds are interesting, but most do not have enough for me to really grok them, with the exception of Ixalan, which I plan to use in the southern hemisphere of my home brewed world "Dakan Mar". Ixalan will be south of where I will place Chult, and will have that new world flavor going on. :cool:
That's a shame.

I suppose that the monster situation might change a bit when D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica gets published, but I bet they will still have some gaps.

I wonder if anyone has a list of Magic: The Gathering monsters and if there is a way to use Plane Shift: Kaladesh and/or other Plane Shift PDFs to work out rules for reskinning the non-reskinned monsters from D&D monster stats. :?


I used to have a lot of M:tG cards, but recently sold them all to clear up some clutter, hedge up on my bank account a little, and get out of a hobby that I no longer enjoyed on a social level. Those M:tG cards had lots of wonderful monsters & art that I desperately wanted to use in D&D.

Even a list of M:tG creatures and re-skinned 5e stats would be useful to me.
Big Mac wrote:Have you looked for any online information about Kaladesh, that might fill in the gaps? I've been meaning to do a bit of research, but I'm still trying to get my head around how the Magic: The Gathering universe works.
I haven't tried to fill in any gaps of my knowledge/understanding of or Eberron - I've only skimmed the world material, and haven't found anything I can really sink my teeth into. I know the info is out there, I just don't have the impetus to explore these angles.
Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
I like the idea of a world of wizards using magic to invent things, but is it an analogue to D&D's own Eberron setting? Or is Eberron more 'steampunk'?
Eberron is not steampunk. It's inspired by Film Noir.

What you have there is a bunch of Houses that have members who are born with Dragonmarks that embue them with spell-like abilities. Keith Baker has said something along the lines of it being more like "wide magic" than "high magic". So you will have lots of streetlamps with continual light on them in large cities, but +5 magical swords will not be any more common than other campaign settings.

Does that still sound like Kaladesh to you?
That's in line with what I've read on the Eberron wiki, but I've heard (erroneously) that Eberron has an element of steampunk. That statement has always remained in my mind. :lol:

Except for "film noir"? I'm very unfamiliar with this angle. Which films?

Again, I haven't read too deeply on these other settings, because they aren't currently relevant to my interests, but, the mind tends to link similar things, even if they aren't completely analogous. Eberron's magic/tech is far more advanced than Greyhawk or Forgotten Realm's levels of technology - and so is Kaladesh, although on a more mechanical level. :cool:

I can relate to Kaladesh's levels of magic and tech simply because I've been exposed to more M:tG cards than I have read up on Eberron.
timemrick wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am
None of the MtG/D&D PDFs have new monster stats, preferring to re-skin them using existing monsters. The worlds are interesting, but most do not have enough for me to really grok them [...]
Some of them have a handful of stat blocks. Even Dominaria, which seems skimpier than most, has three (homarid and two kavus). Keep in mind that Wyatt was doing these in his spare time until recently, and making well-designed monster stat blocks is challenging.

I could wish for more world background as well (I haven't played MtG since the '00s) but the introductions of each document make it clear that they are meant to be companions to "The Art of [X]" series of books, which presumably present a lot more of the world lore.
I don't mind the re-skinning of monsters in these M:tG/D&D crossovers, especially when the writer wouldn't have enough time to fully expand a free product made as - not just a designer, but an honest to God fan of M:tG and D&D.

The Kavu, Slivers, Kraken, and most of the blue aquatic creatures are some of my favorites. :)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Post Reply

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”