[XL1] Now where would you place Ghyr in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Mystara Way
Orc

[XL1] Now where would you place Ghyr in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

Post by Mystara Way » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 am

Now for those of you are familiar with those settings, where would you place the Kingdom of Ghyr if you "had to" place it in both the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Now where would you place Ghyr in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 am

Forgotten Realms: the vicinity of Mirabar, south of the Spine of the World mountains.
Eberron: the Eldeen Reaches, south of the Icehorn Mountains.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am

Thanks a lot rip!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:29 am

I was actually thinking the Bloodstone Lands for the Realms, but Mirabar is also a pretty good suggestion!

I don't have any ideas for Eberron offhand. It's been too long since I've taken a look at that setting.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Mystara Way
Orc

Re: [XL1] Now where would you place Ghyr in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

Post by Mystara Way » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks Cthulhudrew!

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:17 am

I'm not so familiar with the Faerun map--Cthulhudrew, could you give a more specific locale in the Bloodstone Lands? And what would be the correlation with the Northern Marsh and the Mountains of Ice?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 am

Nothing terribly specific comes to mind; I was primarily thinking of how there are lots of petty baronies and fiefdoms that have a long history of internecine warfare and periods of rule under different kings; also the region is named the Bloodstone Lands due to the vast quantities of minerals (the aptly named "bloodstones") in the region.

Offhand, I'd say that Vaasa is probably the best region to place it. It is the most northerly and the climate would seem to fit. It is bounded in the north by mountains (the Earthspur and Galena Mountain ranges, as well as part of the Great Glacier). It is filled with frozen moors that- in the summer months, when the frost melts and the waters from the mountains saturate them- turn into bast stretches of bogs.

The Heartstone might be a specially enchanted (or naturally so) bloodstone, or made of some other type of prismatic mineral native to the area. The Prism Wars might be tied in with the rise of the Witch-King- a lich of immense power that briefly held sway over the lands of both Vaasa and Damara (the Bloodstone Wars period). Or they might precede that, if you want to be more faithful to the background in XL-1 (the Witch-King's rise and defeat was fairly recent, at least in the 2e era when the Bloodstone Lands gazetteer came out; c. 1358 DR- I have no idea what year it currently is in the Realms).

The deity mentioned in XL-1 "He Who Watches" might be a Bloodstone Lands epithet for the god Helm (also known as the Vigilant one and the Watcher).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:58 am

Cool - yes. Vaasa is especially apt because of its semi-Finnish culture. The name King Ganto is coincidentally(?) similar to King Kanto from an unproduced D&D Cartoon show premise which was written around the same time as XL1. Kanto is a Finnish word for "stump" and his adversary was King Lorvi, which is Finnish for "slacker." Ganto and Kanto aren't the same king, since Ganto was peace-loving and Kanto was a scheming warmonger (plus they are apparently in two different worlds). Nevertheless, yes, these slim Finnish connections suggest that Vaasa would be the most fitting placement in regard to the Bloodstone Lands.

Return to “Other Worlds”