[Tékumel] Jim Murphy's Video on MAR Barker's world

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Tékumel] Jim Murphy's Video on MAR Barker's world

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Nice video on Tékumel from Jim Murphy: Tekumel RPG and conversation with Barker

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Tékumel] Jim Murphy's Video on MAR Barker's world

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am

Link fixed (thanks Big mac!)

Jim is really into miniatures so some of his criticism about Tekumel not having had miniatures in the early days seems less relevant to me, but I like his praise of Jeff Dee's stuff. I also like his take on how Tekumel's weirdness can be both a bad and a good thing at the same time :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Tékumel] Jim Murphy's Video on MAR Barker's world

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am
Jim is really into miniatures so some of his criticism about Tekumel not having had miniatures in the early days seems less relevant to me, but I like his praise of Jeff Dee's stuff.
The miniatures thing is an area where TSR kind of let down the setting. D&D development could easily have gone three ways, with lines for Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Tékumel. But the Empire of the Petal Throne content was apparently quite limited in quantity (which is why Jim Murphy was saying it was so expensive on eBay).

Jim's advice to start with Jeff Dee's stuff and work backwards is pretty good. I've seen Jeff Dee doing a bunch of very small Kickstarters to fund Tékumel art and Jim Murphy was talking about Jeff Dee's books being black and white. Given that awareness of Tékumel is pretty low, I see this as Jeff Dee being super-clever at finding a way to work with a small userbase to find a way to get them art they can download for their personal games and a RPG book or two that is far enough over the "economically viable" line to get it out there.

Jim Murphy showed two of Jeff Dee's books. I'm not sure we have topics for them yet. I'll have to do a search.
Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am
I also like his take on how Tekumel's weirdness can be both a bad and a good thing at the same time :)
I do think that hard-to-pronounce words in fiction and gaming are a millstone that weighs down a setting. So I'm totally with Jim Murphy on that.

The cultural mix (I think he said Mezoamerican + Arabian vs European for other early RPGs) is good in that it is variety and bad in that you can't raid miniatures meant for other games.

Jim later went on to say that MAR Barker's players were modifying miniatures for him and showed some miniatures that he had altered himself. (I wonder if he has a blog or something with a gallery that shows the individual miniatures and where they each came from.)

One thing I really liked, was that Jim said that Tékumel was originally designed to be used with D&D rules and that anyone who wanted to give it a go could just use D&D rules (presumaby with Jeff Dee's books to start with).

I wonder if there will ever be a 5th Edition D&D book for Tékumel. That would certainly take things full circle.

Ideally, if it happened, I would like to see them turn to Jeff Dee and have him enhance his black and white Tékumel art and colourise it all. That would really be a setting being lifted up by it's own bootlaces. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Other Worlds”